Shas'Saal

Default Marker light counter

Here's what my counters look like:

Neat, aren't they? 8)

/Olle
Old 12 Jul 2007, 20:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Marker light counter

Those look nice, but... the bases of the warrior and the xv, are they finished? Or will they be 'adjusted' soon?
I feel like such a whino...

They look good, honestly

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2007, 22:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

LEDs?

Artiglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 02:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Do you have ones with varying numbers of markerlight "hits" on them or do you just have a whole bunch of the counters? (Frankly, i'm usually lazy ad just stick a die next to the unit I'm shooting them at with the appropriate number of hits facing up. )
Old 13 Jul 2007, 02:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thats pretty good. I just use my laser pointer for dramatic effect om my mates units. Seeing that red dot travel along the board and rest on his Land Raider ;D
Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2007, 06:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Those look nice, but... the bases of the warrior and the xv, are they finished? Or will they be 'adjusted' soon?
Actually, none of all my figures are finished yet. The warriors are at least past half-way done, but the crisis suits don't even have the first layer of base coat finished (will have some brown patches in addition to the greens).
Their bases will, when finished, look like the marker counter, but with some visible stones added.

The counter isn't quite finished either. I'll have to smarten up the grass that's been flattened in storage, apply another layer of paint to the sides and then cover it all with matt varnish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagonus
Do you have ones with varying numbers of marker light "hits" on them or do you just have a whole bunch of the counters?
Neither. I've done two of these so far, and that's plenty given that I don't have any finished models and probably won't use any marker lights in battle for a long time...

These counters were just an idea I got as I learned about Tau and made the initial plans for my future army. I felt i had to go through with it promptly, just because I got the opportunity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerman
Thats pretty good. I just use my laser pointer for dramatic effect om my mates units.
Using laser was my initial "want to do", but not a hand held device, but one mounted in the ML model.
Turned out to be a non-starter because all lasers I could find were too large, and expensive to that...
Even LEDs are too large for mounting in the miniatures.
What might work, size-wise, is a LED inside the body and an optic fibre leading the light to the right place...

Anyway, I settled for the idea of a LED on the counter. After lots of calculations (size v power supply v light intensity v heat loss v price), gruelling over unavailable items and eventually a bit of luck, I had the stuff I needed and came through with the project!

Cheers
Olle
Old 06 Aug 2007, 06:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've started to write an article on how to do these counters.
Now I question myself whether it's actually needed or not...

It's something of a catch 22:
1) The design itself is very simple.
2) One important prerequisite is to be confident in small parts soldering.
3) If you fulfil 2) then you probably have the electronics skills required to do the design from scratch and thus don't need the article in the first place.

To help those I've attached an image that really says just about all you need to know. The rest is just gravy.

The article, as far as I've written at the moment, is five pages long and growing. All that mostly to tell persons skilled in soldering how to think regarding LED and power calculations!

So, do you think it's worthwhile for me to go on with this and finish the article?

TIA
Olle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marker.JPG (18.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Marker.JPG (18.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 06 Aug 2007, 12:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

YES! continue the article now! I can solder well and want these! they look absolutely amazing.
Old 06 Aug 2007, 12:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

IMO, maybe post up what you have first and we'll have a look?

Admittedly yeah, you're right there with the Catch22. To be able to get anywhere you do have to have a moderate amount of electronics knowledge and soldering experience... and looking at the photo you have there, you're dealing with soldering 3mm LEDs? But it's still on it's leads so shouldn't be too hard (compared to surface mount LEDs).

Side note: if I'm not mistaken, isn't that a 100ohm resistor off the top of my head? And button cell's are around 3V, that would work out to be a fair bit of current running through each LED. Does it work fine as it is?

I'm pondering as to how to efficiently construct any sort of LED circuit that's small enough to fit in models. Preferably with some sort of signal generator to flash the LED on and off at a high frequency rather than have it turned on continuously. And also perhaps even using prototype board to build the circuits rather than have it run freely.
Old 06 Aug 2007, 14:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
... and looking at the photo you have there, you're dealing with soldering 3mm LEDs? But it's still on it's leads so shouldn't be too hard ...
They're 2mm LEDs with the "legs" mounted in a "split" position.
Not much hassle soldering apart from holding the pieces together.

Quote:
Side note: if I'm not mistaken, isn't that a 100ohm resistor off the top of my head? And button cell's are around 3V, that would work out to be a fair bit of current running through each LED.
It's 100ohm all right. Battery voltage is 3.0V and LED voltage is 2.0V. That makes the total current 10mA, half the rated maximum for each LED, and here it is split between the three LEDs!
The power generated in the resistor is 10mW, which is way below it's rated maximum.

Quote:
Does it work fine as it is?
So far: Yes. But I haven't used it enough to give a relevant answer to your question...
The problems I've encountered this far is wear and tear on the paint and grass, but I haven't come around to varnish it yet, which I will.

Quote:
... LED circuit that's small enough to fit in models. Preferably with some sort of signal generator to flash the LED on and off at a high frequency rather than have it turned on continuously.
You can't get smaller than a battery and resistor. But why flashing? The signal generator will probably use more power than what's saved by not continuously shining the LED.

Cheers
Olle