Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Completed Forgeworld Valkyrie
Old 07 Jul 2007, 00:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Completed Forgeworld Valkyrie

Well, after several months of work, I've finally completed my Valkyrie. There are a few final details that have to be completed, but I think it's to a point where I can display it as a finished product. This has probably been one of the toughest, yet most rewarding models I've done. The casting for this model was very rough, with two very mismatched pieces for the fuselage. It took lots of apoxie sculpt, green stuff, filler putty and sanding to get this model looking decent. Well, here are the final shots, hope you all like them. C+C welcome.

I used a myriad of techniques and products on this particular model. The body of the aircraft was all airbrushed. The upper tan colors were done in four layers, starting with a relatively dark brown in all recesses and working my way up to progressively lighter colors, but trying to confine those colors to the center of each panel as I went. I then painted the cockpit and engines. The visors of the two pilots and the cockpit instrument panels were then coated in a high gloss clear epoxy resin to give them their shiny look. It came out very nice (not sure if you'll be able to see it) and the visors reflect light from whatever direction it's coming from. The little bee was done free hand and came from an Australian software design company; I liked their logo so much that I had to put it on there. Weathering was done in a number of ways. The black grease streaks were done with Humbrol oil paints thinned way down with Turpenoid (odorless turpentine). This is done by making a small streak (1-2mm) by making a point and then quickly pulling back with your brush. You then take a dry brush and pull the wet streak down the length of the craft to get a nice gradient. Rust and dirt were done with something called MIG paint pigments. These are used by traditional scale modelers to great effect. I was so impressed I had to incorporate them into my work. For an introduction to paint pigments click the following link:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm

The drippy rust effect were done in a similar technique to the black stains. I would wet a fine brush with a touch of turpentine, touch the brush to a cloth to remove most of the turpentine and then dab just a slight bit of pigment on my brush. I would then dab it onto the model and then take a dry brush and sweep it downwards to create the final effect. The dust and dirt were done by applying an initial coat of a suitably dirty pigment (I used two: dust and dry mud) with a dry brush. I then fixed the pigment to the model by dabbing turpenoid with a brush on any areas where pigment was applied. To get the dirt streaks I simple put some pigment into an empty paint pot and added water. I then make vertical "zebra stripes" down the model to generate the dirt streaks. If you're not seeing anything on the model when the streaks are wet then you know you're doing it right. I need to finish up some final details and then seal the model in dullcoat lacquer. The final detail is to dab a bit more clear resin on all the lenses for the final effect. Any more questions, feel free to ask.
Callhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 01:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Completed Forgeworld Valkyrie

Great job on the turbines ;D, Props for the Stining bee

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 01:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Absolutely brilliant work. Very nice weathering and shading.
Thanks for sharing.
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 01:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

Grade A painting! i love the weathering

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 01:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You, sir, are ridiculous! Great job, keep up the good work!

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 01:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Well done. That's definitely a model you can be proud of.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 02:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That model is worthy of being exposed and set as a perfect example of excellent worksmanship.

That thing is very very nice.
Old 07 Jul 2007, 02:45   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Amazing job, I hope I can paint to close to that standard someday.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 03:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Ugh, you'd think that for such expensive models they'd be of better quality...if you're paying $100 or more then the pieces should at least fit together properly. :-\

Awesome model though, I'm impressed. I need to learn how to airbrush and paint my tanks like that.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2007, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Amazing work. The weathering you've done is phenominal and I love the bee. Great work, especially for having problems putting it together.

Hope to see more of your works,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote