Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial guardsmen
Old 26 Jun 2007, 14:31   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Imperial guardsmen

Okay - heres a fully painted unit for my imperial guard.

And I apologise for the slight bluriness of the pics - my new camera may come with macro and super macro. But it doesn't come with anti-shake. Need to invest in a tripod!

Yes, I know they are really dark, but thats how I want them!! It is the grim darkness of the future after all!

One with the base done. The others will have similar bases - my basing material hasn't dried yet so I can't cut it up (so no tutting Mr.Norman )

BTW they are meant to be doen to a table top standard - not super high quality. I want them to look good on hte battlefield with minimum amount of time put in. This squad took me a total of one and a half hours - and the half hour was drying time for the ink.

And my converted (ish) commander - the gas mask went a bit wonky when I dropped him

[hr]

The main things I am looking for criticism on -

1 - if you fought them at the other end of the table would you simply reject them as poorly painted models?

2 - The white on the commander was done incredibly easily - only three stages. Does it look right? 'Cause I plan on using as a main colour for my battle sistes.

3 - are they too darK? I rather like them as they are, but I have a feeling they may be that bit too much over the top.

[hr]

C&C always welcome guys!

[hr]

What did you edit Khanaris ??? I probably fixed the spelling/capitalization on the thread title. That shows up as an edit. - Khanaris
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 14:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Luy22 Send a message via MSN to Luy22
Default Re: Imperial guardsmen

1. Why'd you drop the commander on his head? That makes some babies mentally ill...
2. Awesome work.
3. The white looks amazing.
Only then your life I will save
Luy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 14:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like how they look, but I'm afraid if you see them anything above 3 feet away they'll just look like black, and then, yes, I'd pass them off as poorly painted models.
It honestly doesn't seem like you put a lot of effort into them; just a black basecoat and blue drybrushing. It's a cool effect, but I've seen your other models and I know you can do better

The white on the commander looks pretty good! The commander as a whole looks really good, that's the quality of painting I think you should be having even on low-life guardsmen . But as I said before; I like the effect, I just think you should do more than just that.

Also, nice base!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 14:52   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Theres no drybrushing at all on any of the models - at any point in time...

Old 26 Jun 2007, 14:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

1) a) they're painted...better than some of my opponents. : b) they're painted to a table-top standard. c) they're painted darkly. Overall, I wouldn't pass them off as poorly painted on any level.

2) The white armor looks sweet. Maybe pick up gold or green for the laurel.

3) They're a bit dark, IMO. But this is from a painter who has black swooping hawks : So it's probably not a huge deal. But you may want to toss in a few bright colors just to mix it up (i.e. bright white, red, blue, or green highlights...small details that will make your figures stand out a little more).

While I understand the desire to paint figures darker because they look more realisitic, the trend in the hobby right now is overwhelmingly "comic" in that the colors are typically brighter and more highlighted than would be realistically possible. But that is what people seem to like

Overall, though, good job. I think they look fine.
Thanks for sharing.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 16:04   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

1) Looks a lot better than some peoples painting around here(silver marines anyone?)
2) I personally like it
3) I prefer darker colors, my IG is grey(a lighter one, true), and my marines are the Black Templar!
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
But you may want to toss in a few bright colors just to mix it up (i.e. bright white, red, blue, or green highlights...small details that will make your figures stand out a little more).
Okay - I think ive gotten a part of that covered already - whats not shown in the pictures is that the sergeant has an auspex with the screen painted bright red, the sergeant has a white stripe on his helmet (noticeable?) and the Rocket launcher has a red view finder. It's not perfect.... How about painting the lasguns bright red/green where the "las" comes out?? And adding more obviosu markings?
Old 26 Jun 2007, 18:19   #8 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by S I L K
BTW they are meant to be doen to a table top standard - not super high quality. I want them to look good on hte battlefield with minimum amount of time put in. This squad took me a total of one and a half hours - and the half hour was drying time for the ink.
You've done a good job.

But if I were you I would have made my own Commander, the metal Cadian one always has his sword bent or mishapen, and is a mother to reposition.

Anyway, good luck, and is this a Infantry Force? Or are you going to give in to your Tank fetish? :P
Old 26 Jun 2007, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

The guardsmen look awesome. Are they ninja guardsmen?
Old 26 Jun 2007, 20:14   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
But if I were you I would have made my own Commander, the metal Cadian one always has his sword bent or mishapen, and is a mother to reposition.
Yeah, but I really like the pose.

Quote:
Anyway, good luck, and is this a Infantry Force? Or are you going to give in to your Tank fetish?
I need more firepower!! MORE!! I learnt that I could drop one unit of grenadiers, the hellhound and my sentinels and take a bunch of heavy weapons.

Never did like the massacre that is my fast attack.

Still get all three Leman Ruses :funny: