Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first piece I ever painted!
Old 07 Jun 2007, 22:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default My first piece I ever painted!

ok this is a piece my buddy gave to paint just to mess around with before I started playing.n I didn't prime it or anything, I have no base, and I only had two colors to work with. That and I couldn't get a decent pic of it with out the camera being out of focus. The shoulder pads are a little sloppy but hey what could I say.

"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it."
-Sun Tzu
ZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 23:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: My first piece I ever painted!

Good Start

1. Thin Paints

2. Prime

3. Glue to Base
F3Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 01:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Not bad for your first model ever!
Old 08 Jun 2007, 01:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Especially not bad considering you painted it with a needle....

"Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be your friend..."
Shas O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 01:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

(Yeah lol)
Old 08 Jun 2007, 01:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

yeah i dont think i have a fine enough brush yet, i need to get a really really fine brush, i was having a though time with the smallest brush i had, and i have a question, i was reading a piece about painting and they were talking about drybrushing ruining the brushes, one what exactly ruins it and two what is the proper measures of taking care of a brush, because mine are a little flared

"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it."
-Sun Tzu
ZOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2007, 03:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

What ruins the brush with drybrushing is the process of wiping off the excess paint and then dragging it non-to-gently over models to hit those high point. What I do is just buy some cheapy brushes at a craft store and use those for the drybrushing, no sense ruining $7 to $8 brushes for it.

As for taking care of them, I'm sure someone more experienced can give better answers then me but I just make sure the brush is completely clean when I'm done for the day. Also when drying/cleaning your brush just run it back and forth on the material (like a paper towel), don't poke the brush and dab it to dry/clean it. Of course store the brushes so your bristles are up and not down in a container.

Anyway, not a bad job on that model. Aside from what's been mentioned, it looks like you have a mold line on the helmet, just clean those up in the future. I just use a modeling knife and drag it across the mold lines to remove them, takes a few seconds and makes the paint job look that much better when you're done.
Old 10 Jun 2007, 08:53   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

no not bad keep going
Old 10 Jun 2007, 10:05   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Insert Quote
yeah i dont think i have a fine enough brush yet,
For the vast majority of my work I use a standard GW brush. I have about three - one spare, one for normal blocking in of paint and a drybrush. Infact for my imperial guard I mainly use something that is approaching a tank brush - inks are your friend!

Quote:
one what exactly ruins it and two what is the proper measures of taking care of a brush, because mine are a little flared
What ruins a brush during drybrushing is the act of drybrushing - if you do it hard then it's going to damage the bristles a fair bit. It's not going to happen instantly but give it a while and things will start to turn. This isn't bad if you have a dedicated drybrush set as it means you can cover more ground and therefore have a more even spread.

As for maintaing your brushes - store them in an upright container - if any paintis left after you' clean them then it will run down the brush and not clog up the end. Also means that your less likely to damage them when your doing your modelling as well as having a convenient place to store all your tools. Secondly if your brush isn't meant to be rough (ie an undercoating brush) then drag the brush along the rag that you use to dry, rather than dabbing and squeezing - extends the life of your brushes. Thirdly don't put loads of paint on to the brush - aim to use only half of the bristles as if the paint gets to the metal bit it can damage badly.

Now to the model!

It's not the greatest. But then again your working handicapped. I would seriosuly suggesting that either he gives you the damn base or blue-tack it to a lid - makes things far less fiddly. I would also make him give you paints! Your working with only two colours!! Black and white is simply essential. If your going to buy some colours make sure you buy GW paint kit (not the big 100+ one - the cheaper one) as you can do anything you need to! Infact buy the one with all the tools and stuff - back when I was starting it was only 15 - how times have changed. Then it's on to brushes I always have 3 GW sized standard brushes and a few more from random locations (mine is a minimum of 9 brushes).

If you need any more give the ninja a call!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2007, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Way better than my first peice, I'll say that!

"Hold out baits to entice the enemy... If he is in superior strength, evade him... If he is taking his ease, give him no rest... Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected." ~Sun Tzu

Scientia potentia est
Shas El Ukos is offline   Reply With Quote