Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ultramarines 7th Company
Old 26 May 2007, 19:44   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Ultramarines 7th Company

The bases aren't done, and probably never will be. I can't be arsed painting bases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 19:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Ultramarines 7th Company

mmm...

they lack depht... try add some highlights, and everything will change!

I'd see UM better with golden eagles on the chests, but if you like them this way it's fine.

other than that... nothing else... colours are within the borders, eyes too...

maybe the ML guy is missing the eye? or is just the photo?
Old 26 May 2007, 19:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The red is a little splotchy... The guy with the old school helmet has a mold line that is poking me in the eye... I'd say shading instead of highlighting, because they look too bright to me already...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 20:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

erm, yes, I meant by "highlight" the process itself of adding depht ;D
Old 26 May 2007, 21:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Right, here goes:

MOULD LINES! Nothing more nees be said.

Firstly, when you're painting your blue, do it in three stages. The first should be done in a slightly darker tone, perhaps Regal Blue. Paint it slowly, trying not to get any in the crevices. Use watered down paint, but keep it thick enough not to just run in. The second should be two coats of watered down Ultramarines Blue. This should also avoid the cracks, and will provide a solid colour. The last coat is your highlight. For Ultramarines, the easiest way to do this is to mix Ultramarines Blue with Skull White (assuming you can't just get a lighter colour :P). Use a fine detail brush, and only target the edges. If you go too far onto the armour, touch it up with Ultramarines Blue. Should you get any in the cracks, before you highlight use watered down Chaos Black, then do your highlights.

For the purple shoulder guards, simply apply two solid coats over Chaos Black. For the second coat, mix a tiny amount of a lighter purple or pink in, just to give it a richer colour.

The red is fairly easy - simply apply one or two solid coats of Scab Red, followed by the same in Blood Red. When applying the Blood Red, try to avoid the the edges, to leave a 'shadow'.

Metal is also fairly easy to do - Chainmail (is that the darkest? If not, use Boltgun Metal :P). Drybrush in the lighter one (CM or BM, whichever) and then apply a watered down Black Ink (or Chaos Black, heavily watered).

Parchment is (yet again) quite easy :P Dark Flesh, followed by Bleached Bone, leaving the recesses in DF. Highlight in 50/50 BB/Skull White if wanted.

Eyes I'm not so good at. My suggestion would be to leave the black undercoat (or paint them black if you undercoat white), and dot them yellow, with a dark and then lighter yellow. You may not get complete lense coverage, but it'll look better than it does.

If needs be, use nothing larger than a Detail Brush. Aside from the Small Drybrush I bought today, I don't have anything bigger than a Detail Brush. When highlighting, I use a Fine Detail Brush.

I do like the base use though - the 40mm base for the sergeant - inspired by the Imperial Guard Collectors Guide?
Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2007, 21:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to pfreck

Lol, no wonder that you played every army.. :P

Nah just kiddin'. I would consider to remove the moldlines and try to highlight and shade the miniatures.

With these basics they sure will look a lot better

Cheers!
pfreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 07:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Dont tell me that after all this time Wargy you still can't paint properly?

Honestly, it's table top quality, i've seen ALOT worse pass as table top (Namly a guy doing a black necron army with a really blotchy silver and bronze dry brush).

However the blue does look very smooth.
Old 27 May 2007, 09:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Detail will help no end. Just a spot of boltgun metal or black on the parts of the model that might conceivably be a different colour will add instant depth. The backpack vents for example, the grill on the helmet, the belt buckles and the pipes; these are all things that just don't look right in blue.

Drilling out (or at least dotting) your weapon barrels is also a good idea.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 10:58   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag
mmm...

they lack depht... try add some highlights, and everything will change!
I have never, ever liked Highlights. It looks amaturish to me unless it's done to professional levels, and I have neither the experience nor patience for that.

Quote:
I'd see UM better with golden eagles on the chests, but if you like them this way it's fine.
They can't have gold, due to the fact it's a Pre-Heresy force. They shouldn't technically have the Eagle at all, but I linked it into my Captain.

Unfortunately, the eagles didn't show well... but a fair bit of work goes into them (4 coats plus a basecoat).

Quote:
other than that... nothing else... colours are within the borders, eyes too...

maybe the ML guy is missing the eye? or is just the photo?
His left eye is painted. His right eye isn't, but you can't see that anyway.

To answer Pollo's comments:

Currently the models are basecoated in Black. The blue is a 2-stage job. First coat about 66/33% Ultramarines Blue / Chaos Black, the second coat pure Ultramarines Blue.

The red is one coat Scab Red, three coats Blood Red, then getting sick of the bastards and leaving it.

The shoulder pad trims were originally a Liche Purple/Black mix undercoat with Liche Purple over the top, but it didn't seem to make any difference and are now just Liche purple.

Parchment is Bubonic Brown, drybrushed with Bleached Bone. The chest plate is Bubonic Brown, Snakebite Leather, Bleached Bone then Skull White. I still haven't quite got them right, but the photo doesn't make them look as good as they are.

All metallic areas are Chainmail. The sergeant's chest-piping got done too heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dont tell me that after all this time Wargy you still can't paint properly?
Never was a huge fan of painting. I enjoy converting and I enjoy playing, but painting is just a tedius step in the middle that is often ignored completely. My main Space Marine army was painted to a "done a full squad in an hour" standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2007, 12:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I have never, ever liked Highlights. It looks amaturish to me unless it's done to professional levels, and I have neither the experience nor patience for that.
try doing several sof highlights, they are good and fast.
I'm painting all my marines this way at a very fast rate (5 a week)

Quote:
They can't have gold, due to the fact it's a Pre-Heresy force. They shouldn't technically have the Eagle at all, but I linked it into my Captain.

Unfortunately, the eagles didn't show well... but a fair bit of work goes into them (4 coats plus a basecoat).
uh, you didn't say they're pre-heresy... :-\

if you did all those coats you might need to add more of the highlighting colour... looks like it's just 1 coat, sorry!