Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

High Elves
Closed Thread
Old 19 Feb 2005, 18:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via MSN to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via Yahoo to WarmasterDevilfish
Default High Elves

It seems like this place is pretty much free reign on what can be posted, so i figured i'd post my high elf painting efforts (so far)

Just a quick note to mods, if this is in the wrong place, or isn't right on this forum, i apologise, but i see various conversions and other models than tau in this section, so i figured this might be the most appropriate. As i said sorry, and feel free to slap me if i am wrong, but none the less...

Anyway first off, we have my skirmish force, comprising of a commander (modelled by Tyrion, mainly because I love the model) and 6 archers.

The standard bearer isnít part of the force per se, but heís done a fine job filling in for the archer which until last night was still unpainted. Those observant Eldar players among you will know that symbol is of Kane, AKA Khorne, not that I wanted to get a link in to my BFG and 40k forces in at all

The shield wielded by Tyrion is just a copy of a game sprite which I like. The original is in blue, but I figured Iíd match it with the rest of my army and give it a custom paint job. Itís just cut out from that plastic you get on the front of shopping carts, then shaped to a very slight curve by heating it over a screwdriver. The nice thing about it is, it covers up my lack of painting skills which shows up a bit on the chest plate so it just has to stay

Next up we have my Shadow Warriors. In my original list I wasnít going to take any, then I was offered them for £1 each, so I just couldnít refuse.

I ended up with 18 of them, but they prove pretty useful all round. Iíve gone for the standard theme then just painted the arm bands red to leave them looking different (as they are meant to be outsiders) but still linked to the rest of the army in some way.

Next up we have one of my personal favourites from the High Elves, the Repeater Bolt Thrower. Not only do they look good, they are great in games for their raw power and range. Instead of waiting on the plastic kits (which are due out very soon) I decided to dive in and get the metal ones, mainly for the extra detail you get with metal models. At present I only have 1 crew member out of 4 painted, so I thought Iíd stick him in to give you some idea of scale, and what scheme Iím going for with them.

Last but not least we have my first unit from Fantasy, the Lothern Sea Guard. They are great in game as they can shoot with bows then strike with spears, making them the equivalent of 16 archers and 16 spearmen rolled into one. They also look pretty good if you ask me, however they are in essence just spearmen with a bow and quiver stuck to their back.

As these were intended to be my only special unit (they are actually core, but they were planned to be as special as my army got) I decided to give the commander and banner a bit of extra work. It turned out to be a bit more than I could handle, the enemy of my painting work is white space, I just can't think how to fill it. In this case I decided to try the idea suggested in the Army Book of a dragon rising from the sea. They look a bit scrappy up close but I guess it could have been worse.

Also, if anyones interested, you can find my full force (both painted and unpainted) HERE. At the moment i am still in the process of painting and assembling.. sadly some of their heads fell off and one even lost his entire body. I don't attatch arms until i'm finished, so they're also missing, but it was more to give an idea of where i'm heading than anything

Well thatís about it. Thatís my paint scheme and my army so far. Now I just have to paint another 25 archers, 32 spearmen, and 3 RBT crew and Iím there.

Let me know what you think!

- WD

I feel obliged to say this, my name has nothing, i repeat NOTHING to do with the Tau APC, i chose this name long before I even knew about 40k, based upon a Chinese old wives tale about a fish which can kill you when eaten, it either poisons you if you cook it for too long, or if you don't cook it enough. I feel that should answer your question as to why i am the "Devilfish" - Not reccomended for consumption

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts
Space Marines - Crimson Skulls (My own chapter) - 1000pts

Battelfleet Gothic Fleets:
Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Warhammer - High Elves - 2642pts - Now in many bits on my desk... only 100 models to glue and paint :'(
Warhammer 40k - Tau - unknown at present, still working a list
Old 19 Feb 2005, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: High Elves

hehe I collect high elves too...!
Tyrion looks good but I don't see much painted shading on the bowman, a grey ink works well.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 19:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Looks good!

I like the little free-hand details

I was wondering what softwares people are using for their images, because a lot of software allows for the adjustment of "levels" on photos, and it can make a huge difference to be able to define the whitest and darkest sources (it came to mind, because with lights, those white boards you used to enclose the photos would have been the whitest and the minis would have stood out more and maybe even focused more).

Again, cool free hand on the shields
Old 19 Feb 2005, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh those are nice.

Looking really good as been said I also like the small detials and hand painted banners shield etc.

Nice.

The only thing I think I saw was that faces need more detail.
Thats about it.

Good work and I like them.
Old 19 Feb 2005, 22:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via MSN to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via Yahoo to WarmasterDevilfish

praise indeed coming from you guys...

These are my first venture in to fantasy, and as a marine / chaos player, i've not had too much experience having to paint faces (helmets are my friend). Most of them are just elf flesh... On a few i did get around to putting in some watered down black ink, but more than anything i've been rushing them to get the basic colors on so i can start gaming with them...

Once again, thanks for the comments...

I will try my hand at some more detailed face painting tomorrow probably, and i might see what i can do about my camera (it has a 30cm macro, which is hardly useful, but none the less, i'll get some good shots eventually )

I feel obliged to say this, my name has nothing, i repeat NOTHING to do with the Tau APC, i chose this name long before I even knew about 40k, based upon a Chinese old wives tale about a fish which can kill you when eaten, it either poisons you if you cook it for too long, or if you don't cook it enough. I feel that should answer your question as to why i am the "Devilfish" - Not reccomended for consumption

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts

Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Warhammer - High Elves - 2642pts - Now in many bits on my desk... only 100 models to glue and paint :'(
Old 20 Feb 2005, 00:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

looking pretty good so far. the free-hand on the shield is especially nice

as for fantasy: well, i'll let the occassional fantasy mini slip by (especially cos at some point i wanna post up my spiffy new archaon-on-foot). however, if we start getting flooded by fantasy stuff, i might just have to crack down quite harshly...so remember, folks, limit what fantasy stuff you're gonna post

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for that, i was in 2 minds to put it in the fantasy area tbh.. but i figured its still painting...

I look forward to seeing your archaon...

Also just on the subject of those shields... Personally i don't like them... Up close they look like a 5 year old painted them (i'm not very good free hand). Either way thanks for the comments.. and the drive to paint some more... (the only thing that now worries me, i might accidentally glue a longbow onto a broadside or something, i have the bits for both an archer regiment and the broadside in front of me :-\)

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts

Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Old 20 Feb 2005, 14:35   #8 (permalink)
GOD
Shas'El

I think he was talking about Tyrion's shield. Yes the rest of the army looks a bit unfinished, but to do the shield that Bloddiedfangs was talking about takes natural talent. I think once you learn more techniques your painting will improve to Golden Demon standard.

I never lose, I choose not to win.

There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

natural talent ey? lol, i failed art in school (to grade of E) and i've never been much of an arty person at all. I don't mind sculpting, i can do that, but freehand i tend to do a bit naff...

Either way thanks for the comments *Feels good*

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts

Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Old 20 Feb 2005, 20:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

good to see more Red HE, my old HE are sitting catching dust but if Fangs dont mind I'll dust them off so you can use them for inspiration if you'd like.

kudos on the freehand even if you dont think its stellar its better than I can do :P,and I'm loving the sheild, looks like the one off lotr spearmen
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread