Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

FOXX's Tau - Part 1 - Firewarriors
Old 25 Mar 2007, 22:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default FOXX's Tau - Part 1 - Firewarriors

Firewarriors
Yes, there's a Crisis Commander in there. Yes, I know he doesn't have any weapons. No, the weapons aren't painted yet. Yes, I'm well aware that my camera (2.1MP) is not as nice as others'. They look more detailed in person but unfortunately I just can't really capture that with this camera. I'd say they're 6" models but my wife says they're 3" jobs. With those in mind, the pics.

Devilfish WIP
Just because you came all this way, figured I'd show you the work in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 22:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: FOXX's Tau - Part 1 - Firewarriors

Plzz tell me that FW are W.I.P. ... Aren't they a bit not painted? Or are they supuse to be grey? If they suppose to be gray, Why r they on green bases? Ok that a side...

Nice and Clean modelling! And Fish looks promissing!

P.S. U got one guy with knife and one with drone controller... I though only one guy can take stuff from armory...

Walk Tall mate!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2007, 00:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

They do need some highlighting, but other than that looks great! Good smooth colors!!
Old 26 Mar 2007, 00:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

@Red_Dog
I don't see a drone controller. If you're meaning the guy with the auspex-like-thingie that's not a drone controller to my knowledge. Even if it was we can always just say the leader's got it, I think that's fair.

They are not Works in Progress, those FWs are finished, I'm sorry to disappoint. In real life the finish isn't so grey, it's more of a grey/silver as it's supposed to be semi-metallic but not shiny (for some reason there's no happy medium on the camera between "way too f'ing shiny" and "way too f'ing dull"). I understand the complaint that they don't have high contrast though but I'll say it was done intentionally.

They're on greenish bases because it's done more like grass (again, loss of detail with camera. It's done with sand for a visual though yes, the green IS a little dark but it's got a lot of very light green drybrushing on the top to look more realistic) since I'll be spending most of my time on forest boards. The silver/grey is because it's a good, mostly-neutral color that blends well with the forest green and makes the cadre suitable for cities, forests, and similar worlds. Unfortunately they'll never look at home on a desert board or a lush green board (not forest, more like rainforest) but I don't think there's anything I could really do about that.

If it's difficult to tell the primary color of the cadre is the silver/grey with silver drybrushing around the edges (worn armor look). The secondary color is a forest green plain (yeah, I thought about something more exotic but only on the fatigues for the FW did I bother with drybrushing a very light green and then ink to darken it...looks damn sharp at 1" but you can't easily tell further away). The third color more obviously is the blue which I've been trying to keep for optics and special flashy-bits of machinery (it's more for accents as three primary colors almost always ends up looking poor).

I must admit I'm rather disappointed with the shots of the uncovered Tau heads, they look positively awful in these pictures and, IMO, simply wonderful in person. <sigh>

I did some drybrushing of silver to make them sparkle an eensy-weensy bit but it's semi-hidden by the matte finish. Unfortunately the matte finish makes it look a bit dull at first blush but I prefer it to the shiny look they had before from the raw paint. Just...shiny doesn't work for me. I mean, when's the last time you saw a US military vehicle that shined, right?

@Muffinator
Thanks, if you can believe it this has all been done with Folk Art paints and small brushes (00 and 0 gauge) with judicious black ink (made of licorice and water...it's a little thin but better too thin than too thick I think). I got the smooth look overall by following my father's brush advice: always paint towards what you've done. It's very odd but it works marvelously.

@All
Thanks for the criticisms and comments. If I get a chance to borrow my friend's 8MP camera I'll try to take some higher-quality shots. I tried it with the flash on but...you just don't want to know how that turned out.

I was a little worried about the black on the shoulder pad of the Shas'ui since they require a third color to designate them apart from the squad and I knew that "yet more green" was going to look very poor indeed. I figured the black looked sharp and was a safe bet.

My crisis commander is done as well (took forever) and I reasoned that why he has a little less "pizazz" in his coloring is because in this cadre you tend to sacrifice more for the greater good of the cadre...means that as you go up in rank you look less flashy (but in return are entrusted to bigger and better weapons and responsibilities). It's an odd way to look at it but I think overall this will help my army look more uniform in terms of presentation; I really didn't want a sign on my commander that said "kill me" whereas the rest of the army looked passe.

EDIT: almost forgot to mention a few things. The Commander's right knee has been bent more and pinned to make a more imposing posture. The firewarrior on his knees with the right hand holding the gun straight up in the air has had his left hand converted to rest downward on his knee (cut off the hand, turned it upside down, glued smoothly, painted smoother). I accidentally put the arms with the rifles ready to fire a *little* close to the head so that's why their heads may not be at the same angle as others' but I think they still look great pose-wise.

Quote:
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 26 Mar 2007, 01:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I had this same problem when I painted my Vulture grey, but I followed the advice of the good people of Tau Online and dusted it with dark grey, paying particular attention to the joins in the plates. The end result was very pleasing. You might try it with your Devilfish.

Before

After
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2007, 01:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well FOXX, May be it is a crappy camera ( no offence ) but they look like unpainted plastic... May be some highlights...
But IMO there is much bigger problem. I will assume that they are silver (after all, I know how crappy cameras can be so It is just as u say, sometimes u get Too shine or To bleak, I am fighting that problem as well ;D ) So I see the bigger problem with grey/silver.
Its looks cool and neat, But I am sorry But there is NO way it will 'blend" in forest or anything green. Its like waving banner with sing "one Ordance barrage hear plz!".

HOWEVER Its Perfect for urban warfare! ... I would sudjest change bases on something urban, or u can change them on volcanic/ash world type. But I can't see them in green.
But then again they are your FWs ;D

Good Luck mate, I hope my C&C helped a bit...

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
But I am sorry But there is NO way it will 'blend" in forest or anything green.
After living on an island with nothing BUT forest and pastures as far as there's land trust me you'd be surprised at how well a dark grey can blend in with good, full forest.

Quote:
HOWEVER Its Perfect for urban warfare! ... I would sudjest change bases on something urban, or u can change them on volcanic/ash world type. But I can't see them in green.
But then again they are your FWs ;D

Good Luck mate, I hope my C&C helped a bit...

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!
I'd change the base but unfortunately I just won't be playing in Cities of Death all the time and had to go for something a bit more common. It could always be the surrounding forest around a city (they would need somewhere to hole up after all).

I appreciate your C&C even though I respectfully disagree, thank you.

@Tom_Norman
That's actually very interesting, I might see if I can apply more ink wash to my Devilfish. My main complaint is that since I'm not doing the "tank camo" thing it tends to have large, open spaces of silver. I've been applying the wash liberally to some components though for a "used" look (the grates, the engines, etc etc) but large surfaces are a general weakness of mine regardless.

I'm looking forward to my Stealths, they will be primarily the dark forest green and black for the shoulder pads/arms/backpack. I thought it'd be a nice way to distinguish them from the main army since it seems everyone likes to invert the colors of the main army.

Quote:
Old 26 Mar 2007, 02:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally, I think they look pretty good as-is. I'm a fan of the simple; I think they look very militaristic, much more so than a lot of the bright, shiny, glaring colors I see. (I realize that bright, glaring colors fit the fluff but it still doesn't make sense to me.) From what I see, your Fire Warriors have a very commando-esque look with the dull colors. I really like the blue accents; again, simply, but it adds some pizazz. (Pizzaz? Pizzas? Pepperoni with extra cheese, please.)

I have an even worse camera, so I'm sure they're even better in person.
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2007, 03:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
After living on an island with nothing BUT forest and pastures as far as there's land trust me you'd be surprised at how well a dark grey can blend in with good, full forest.
Well, after hunting more then five years in thick Russian forests, I have some idea what blends.

Silver will never blend, anything that blinks is done for it can be seen from a far.

(P.S. I thought u did say they were silver -

Quote:
If it's difficult to tell the primary color of the cadre is the silver/grey with silver drybrushing around the edges (worn armor look)
)

Brown, and anything dark will blend perfectly. But! usually brown/green is the best.

Rabbits r usually gray at autumn, and they blend somewhat nicely even in the field! But their size has a lot to do with it... Even red/yellow fox can blend quickly, but it isn't shiny!

My biggest advise, dull their armor. If u want grey, well I agree its fine choice (although not the best IMO) but for worn armor, IMO use brown instead of silver...

I hoped I helped, and again its MO.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

Old 26 Mar 2007, 03:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
Quote:
Well, after hunting more then five years in thick Russian forests, I have some idea what blends.
We like to think we do, too, after living in some of the most beautiful, healthy forests I've ever seen (it's a combination of the lava rock and moisture but the sea salt can roast one side at the edge of the forest with a good wind). The red cars, even dark, never blend in but anything from brown to grey works great. Now if it's silver like, say, a Mercedes then of course not, but my guys are the blended point between grey and silver.

Quote:
I hoped I helped, and again its MO.
Understandable, I appreciate it and will agree with all colors but our differences on grey and grey/silver (for the mixture I used a drop or two of a nice dull grey color I forget the name of and one small drop of the silver to make sure it didn't look like primer and more like metal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellTheAshes
(Pizzaz? Pizzas? Pepperoni with extra cheese, please.)
That's just awesome. ;D

Quote: