Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My tau and tyranid test schemes (pic heavy)
Old 11 Mar 2007, 01:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default My tau and tyranid test schemes (pic heavy)

My piranha from the side. It looks like it needs another coat... thats the point. It aint pretty in war. I may add some mud and similar to the bottom, and paint the pilots. I have another piranha thats done but one wing fell off.

A few shots of my devilfish. I have most of my tanks painted, and all the painted ones in this scheme. I also have a few crisis suits, but for now this is all i have pictures up (I will update though)

Tyranid test scheme. This is my barbed strangler warrior who has proved me well in the battle i used her in. This is my main tyranid scheme, with other species, like the genestealer, having it's own scheme

Now all three warriors, the other two have deathspitters.

And, as mentioned the genestealer scheme

Old 11 Mar 2007, 16:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: My tau and tyranid test schemes (pic heavy)

C a C welcome guys....
Old 11 Mar 2007, 16:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmmm... interesting. You don't see many metallic tau armies. What I suggest for your tank is a bit of ink washing (especially on the gold) and blacklining. The ink is easy, but the blacklining may be a lil tricky. Here's how I do it. Get some chaos black. Water it down a bit. Now use a very fine brush to work it into the cracks. It takes a fairly steady hand, but if you get it right it really makes tau tanks look great
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the advice. I black inked the warriors, so that should be easy. For the lining... that might be tricky as i have kinda shaky hands. I can shoot a gun fine, but for writing my school got me a laptop to type instead of write. I can try, and keep you updated!
Old 11 Mar 2007, 16:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el Sarnas
Thanks for the advice. I black inked the warriors, so that should be easy. For the lining... that might be tricky as i have kinda shaky hands. I can shoot a gun fine, but for writing my school got me a laptop to type instead of write. I can try, and keep you updated!
You're fourteen years old, I'm fairly appalled that you're allowed to handle firearms at all. I trust you're under careful supervision at least? :huh:

Anyway, as Fish Ead commented, the metallics are new and interesting. I think we've all wanted to paint something gold at one point, but you've actually made this (almost) tasteful! In future, I'd recommend two or three coats of watered down metallics rather than a single coat of each straight from the pot. They're patchy and look a bit messy, but if done right, I think this scheme might look rather nice as an honour guard for an Ethereal or some such. Show us some pics of firewariors painted in such a way when you can get around to it.

P.S. - The upside down boxes in the background confuse my brain and hurt my eyes.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 17:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
One thing you might wanna try is resting your elbows on the table while you paint. I was once told that could help with shaky hands. Hopefully that will help you get around it
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 17:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
One thing you might wanna try is resting your elbows on the table while you paint. I was once told that could help with shaky hands. Hopefully that will help you get around it
I rest my forearms on the desk (where possible) for fine detail work, otherwise I bring my arms tight into my chest and hold my breath for the extra fiddly bits.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2007, 17:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
You're fourteen years old, I'm fairly appalled that you're allowed to handle firearms at all. I trust you're under careful supervision at least? :huh:

Anyway, as Fish Ead commented, the metallics are new and interesting. I think we've all wanted to paint something gold at one point, but you've actually made this (almost) tasteful! In future, I'd recommend two or three coats of watered down metallics rather than a single coat of each straight from the pot. They're patchy and look a bit messy, but if done right, I think this scheme might look rather nice as an honour guard for an Ethereal or some such. Show us some pics of firewariors painted in such a way when you can get around to it.

P.S. - The upside down boxes in the background confuse my brain and hurt my eyes.
Sorry about that. The next set of pics will have that box removed. Yeah, i'm thinking of another watered down coat to even it out a bit. When i said gun yes, careful supervision. I'm allowed to go to a gun range once in a while, were the guns are fixed so you can't turn them around and shoot other people, but you have to aim down the range. I also paint ball, and hit people in that so....

And in future, yeah just one coat isn't enough, but as you said, 14 and these are my first models...

Three fire warriors, the middle one is the Shas'ui. Behind is one of my gun drones, and in front some crisis weapons

Close up on the crisis systems (Flamer, multi-tracker, fusion blaster)

Warriors with devilfish behind

Zoomed out

Shas'ui from the side. White markers on the side of the gun indicate his rank.

Currently i am basing my tyranid warriors, and then putting another coat of paint on my devilfish. Update when there ready!
Old 11 Mar 2007, 18:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

i don't like metallic tau. its too much. i don't like this models, sorry. but with some more practise they sure can look good. the nid had a quite nice scheme though
Old 11 Mar 2007, 18:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor
i don't like metallic tau. its too much. i don't like this models, sorry. but with some more practise they sure can look good. the nid had a quite nice scheme though
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is yours. No need to apologize scizor. For me, i see the tau as the 'knights in shining armor' of the 40k universe, so i painted them in shiny armor...

Yeah i like my Nid scheme too... It started out as a leopard gecko scheme but it looked... dull (Sorry sasherra) so i have put red on as well. She is still my hive mind =) (my avatar)