Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deathwing Dreadnought
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jan 2007, 22:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Deathwing Dreadnought

Here's my Deathwing dread. This just did not want to get posted. Anyway, hit me with some C&C! Thanks guys.
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 21 Jan 2007, 23:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Deathwing Dreadnought

That's amazing dude some of the best I have seen.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 00:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well...what's to say? He's splendid, I mean really great!

The only way I think he could be improved is if you were to drill out the barrels for his Assault Cannon, but otherwise flawless as far as I'm concerned. Great job! ^-^
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 00:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's totally a Christmas Dreadnought. You can tell:

~He's got a white-ish basecoat (snow)
~He's got red.
~And he's got green.

Three things that make up Christmas. Put a little Santa hat on him and he'd pass as 40k Santa.

As for the model, it's great. Almost flawless. I'd like to see a shot of his back.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 01:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, awesome job, looks great
Old 22 Jan 2007, 02:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks guys. I'll get around to shooting some back and side pics in the near future, as well as a few of the rest of the army. maybe you'll inspire me to finish the LRC. those things take a lot of paint...

Tom, it's very hard to see in the picture (I shot at 10 megapixel res. and had to shrink the 3 meg file down to about 26 kb) but if you look really closely you can see that the assault cannon's barrels actually are drilled out. Barring being able to see that in the smaller picture, you can just take my word for it. It really makes the model feel more real, so i've taken up the habit with this whole army. love that pin vice.

I also think of him as a christmas dread. when i'm painting the deathwing i have to work hard to resist the urge to over color them. my mantra is "This is the Deathwing, it ain't Christmas!"
Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Old 22 Jan 2007, 04:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

While it's certainly a great model I can find a few faults that may aid you in becoming a better painter and modeler. First of all the two halves of the assault canon are a bit off center, though at this point it'd be more trouble than it's worth to fix it. The metals don't quite do it for me, they're a bit dark for my taste. Maybe a bit of highlighting would brighten them up? Also the skull on the top of the Dread is, in my opinion, too similar to the color of the dread itself. If it were my model I'd give it a light brown wash and then highlight up to white to give it some contrast. The freehand and optics are very nice, though the script on the right leg looks a bit informal for a space marine holy living weapon.

This model is already well above par, but with a few extra touches it could be phenomenal.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 06:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

yeah, the skull on top might be better off in a steel colour, rather than the bone

next, it might been nice to add a bit more colour and definition to the actual sarcophagus part of the coffin

also, i'd put in some extra work on your freehand text. its certainly very neat, but it could be a little cleaner and straighter. plus use of a more interesting style in the text would really help it along

and finally, some of the more angular parts of the armour plating on either side of the coffin could do with some extra definition...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 22 Jan 2007, 07:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nicely painted Deathwing Dreadnaught there! I think the skull on top needs to be in a shining metallic colour though. Boltgun Metal or Chainmail with Mithril Silver highlights might be nice.

Where are his buddies? The Deathwing Terminators? Got any of those?
Old 22 Jan 2007, 08:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

He looks excellent. Great job on the paintjob ;D
Closed Thread