Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos lt
Closed Thread
Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Chaos lt

Hi,

Here is my recently painted chaos Lt - HQ2 for my 1800 points chaos "undecided" army. I have no idea if the scheme matches any existing chapters but i rather like the darker colors and silver banding is far easier to paint than gold as one layer does it.

The sad thing is that he didn't kill anything the first and only time i ever used him on the tabletop - but he didn't die either so i guess it was just unfulfilling in consideration that it took over 10h to paint.

And remember dipping is not painting - it's just dipping

Cheers and paint for the paint gods!

Old 30 Oct 2006, 16:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Chaos lt

OMg!

That is so cool! And you ay that he was painted for 10 hours?!

He is beautiful!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

looks very cool. good job!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

it looks cool, better than GW version
Old 31 Oct 2006, 02:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

Man that is so sweet! ;D

Well done
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:05   #6 (permalink)
lonely tau

Very beautiful model you have there, how did you do the armor plates (may want to try that on my Dark Eldar HQ when I get around to making a really cool converted one)

Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Looks Night Lordish.

Very nice, good highlights but honestly the setup the lord is given by default is really crap on the table top.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:39   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I like everything except for the head. It sems to stand out like a bad thumb.

But i like the colours
Old 31 Oct 2006, 07:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8

That looks great! My only reccommendation would be removing the hair from the head, so hes bald. It would look much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 31 Oct 2006, 10:08   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for you input, the model is a stock GW chaos lord - and i kinda noticed that equipment wise he is a bit undecided as the power fist doesn't fit to well with the combi-melta - basically a waste of points as you either shoot or fight CC but seldom both, but he sure keeps enemy armour from tankshocking you

My list is not that competitive at all with a lot of mistakes but i like character full leaders and have them in every squad, most often with some powerfist or strange combo. I'm starting to add banners too - every squad should have one as the enemy must know who is responsible for their demise.

The blue armour was painted as following;
1. base of regal blue
2. heavy wash of midnight blue
3. thin wash of black
4. i noticed the black wash was a bit thin in places, so i went over the heavy shadows with a black wash applied as blackline
5. sharp edges of the armour was picked out with regalblue
6. extreme edges and points sticking out was reinforced with regal blue + white, if your lines in 5 and 6 are a bit thick don't mind - but try to be neat.
7. now for the hard part - layering, use this on areas of soft curvature like shoulderplates and leggings - the chaos model is extra tricky as it has banding forcing you to do a lot of more layered areas. I usually pick out the extreme highlights first with then work to a darker tone - some do the other way around, but for me it's easier to decide where the highlight should be and just paint it there without bothering about any blending first. In this color scheme i used regal blue as extreme highlight as we are speaking of chaos - but for a fantasy creature you might even use white. Anyhow - just paint the extreme highlight in there slightly bigger than they should be - try to be neat but if you miss don't bother to much.
8. 1st layering - take your regal blue and mix it 50% with midnight blue - add at least 3-4 times water to paint. To keep the pigments together and make it a bit more translucent add some glaze (20-30 % ratio to paint). Basically you want to paint with a slightly translucent wash - place the first thin line between the extreme hight light and the base color - it should have soften the area in between slightly - the thing with layering is you have to do this up to 20 times in order to get a nice soft effect - I'm a bit lazy so i tend to keep my paint less watery, but as you use more water the nicer the effect and more layers Your brush should be wet when doing this but not dripping - each stroke should almost unload your brush forcing you to dip it again. Now walk your brush over the extreme highlight adding layers where need be in order to soften it, make sure you also go below the highlight making the darker area lighter.
9. 2nd layering - same as 8 but with more midnight blue (75%). By now your area of extreme highlight should look nice and well blended, but the area between the base color and the highlight is slightly messy - the darker blend will fix that as it easier blends with the almost midnight blue base color. This is also a great opportunity to fix any bad lines in step 5 and 6 - the blend will slightly darker any color as you partially pass very close to it and you can make the lines sooo thin as the watery mix gives you a lot of controll when painting close to the edges you have previously picked out.
10. 3rd layering as 8 but pure midnight blue - use this to fix the last problems where black wash of lines goes to the base color.
11. reinforce shadows by blacklining if need be. Keep it VERY thin and add it more times if need be - or you might destroy the blending if you go to high.

You model might still look slightly uneven although you did your best - layering will seldom look as nice as wetblending but a couple of coats of varnish usually pulls the colors together a bit. As a finishing coat i use testors dullcote - it comes out super dull, pulls the colors together even more. But if you eat pizza and wargame at the same time your beautiful model will look like a nurgle character sooner or later.

Perhaps it sounds a bit complicated but really it just takes a bit of patience.

And about the face - not so good i agree but let's not dwell on past mistakes and move on I have a army to paint and 6 terminators are next...

Closed Thread