Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

D&D 40k Group wanted (Info and Applications inside)
Old 22 Mar 2010, 14:01   #21 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia
Default Re: D&D 40k Group wanted (Info and Applications inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Then I'm out. I'm not interested in running a character that from the off is going nowhere.

Also, I think 4th is crap so I won't want to use those rules anyway.
Sure...although i wasnt convinced you were ever "in" with the idea for starters...

[hr]

anyway, if you would like to spend ample time playing one character and beefing him up, then thats fine...there are plenty of D&D formats for that. If your looking to play a variety of missions, roles and races, then maybe this is more suited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 15:14   #22 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Oh don't get me wrong, the idea is a good one - the fact Dark Heresy exists is proof of this.

The problem is execution. People turn up thinking that a party consisting of a Space Marine, a Farseer, an Ork Warboss and a Necron Lord is acceptable.

40K is nothing like D&D. It is a dark, miserable universe that does not ALLOW Drizzt or his bastard progeny to exist. There is no such thing as "Neutral" Orks, and the "Good" allignment spontaneously combusts the moment you announce you've chosen to use the 40K universe.

In order to run a 40K D&D campaign, you have to do the setting justice. 40K really doesn't lend itself well to that, and 4th doubly so - it wants to be a bloody MMO, and its arbitrary limitation on how many times a Rogue can slit people's throats per day makes my blood boil.

To be honest, I can't see your Episodal thing working unless you've got gamers on the same calibre as myself and Circus; players who know the race inside out and know how to roleplay them.

I would also really, really suggest you look into Dark Heresy. In fact, as others have said, you are probably best just running Dark Heresy. It provides massive amounts of information that is very useful when building a believable 40K RP setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 19:15   #23 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I feel I have to throw down here against the "ZOMG NO ALIENS!" group, but nevertheless I'm not sold on Zambia's plan.

What you (Zambia) propose is a good idea in theory, but if you intend to run it on the website it will not work. I guarantee it. Ideally you want to do it in real life (obviously not practical ), but failing that you want to do it on a chat site - even just an impromptu MSN group chat would work. Rules-based RPGs do not work in play-by-post format, you need it to be real time to work. On the subject of the episodic idea itself, it is something I know a lot of roleplayers like. Wargamer is clearly not one of them and to be frank neither am I - I like building up epic storylines featuring dashing heroes and mighty, foreboding villains (the Rogue Trader campaign I'm currently running has THREE supervillains), so playing one-shots isn't for me. However, the very existence of Paranoia (a game system, for those who don't know) proves it can work - it's very hard to run a full campaign of it, because the setting is if anything MORE restricting of epic development than 40k is. But it's great to do as a one shot between campaigns, or a string of one-shots. Your idea, Zambia, with the right players and right direction will build up a great series of snapshots into the setting of 40k and it ensures that the players won't get bored with their characters - a good thing to be sure - though if they do really enjoy a character, it is somewhat jarring to know they can't take said character with them. Although sometimes the character becomes more interesting when he comes with an expiry date =P

The best way to run an RPG in 40k though, if you want epics, is as the entourage of an Inquisitor or Rogue Trader - that is why Fantasy Flight have done those first. You can do other things, but that way works the best as it most encourages diversity. In a squad of Space Marines, Guardsmen, Tau Fire Warriors, hell, ANY race, you are not going to get the breadth of character that you can with the entourage of an Inquisitor or Rogue Trader.

In the Rogue Trader campaign I'm running, the single player character (I'm enjoying one-on-one campaigns currently, it means you can have a clear hero focus and not have other players feel like they're irrelevant, as they flat out don't exist :P) has an entourage of seven individuals, eight including herself, and amongst that number there are THREE humans. Only three. And one of those is a Navigator =P

In addition to these humans, she has a Tau Air Caste Barracuda pilot, a genetically modified super-intelligent Ogryn, a Ratling, an Eldar and an alien of my own design.

So how the **** can I justify this? Well, if I couldn't justify it I wouldn't be doing it, so here we go:

First off, she's a Rogue Trader. She can associate with whoever she likes, and due to her dealings she's well aware that sometimes xenos technology can be effective, and having seen life outside of the Imperium she can draw her own conclusions. Second off, she's operating in the Cygnus arm. If you don't know where that is, it's a part of the galaxy west of the Imperium and outside of its borders. The only things we know are there are the Eldar Craftworlds Lugganath and Yme-Loc, and hey, by now they may have moved - so I've got a totally blank slate with which to come up with other worlds.

We know that there are other human worlds out there - the Great Crusade wasn't spreading humanity across the stars, it was unifying the humans that were already there, so there are plenty of human worlds outside of the Imperium that have never HEARD of it, let alone are part of it, and consort with aliens and what-have-you on a regular basis. The important thing to bear in mind is these enclaves have nowhere near the clout required to compete on the galactic stage - that's why we don't hear about them in the main background. WH40K is about WAR, and these places just don't have the means to commit to anything like that. They get by because the Imperium hasn't found them yet. This isn't a problem.

However, this is space we're talking about. Borders don't work quite the same way. It's entirely possible that this crew finds a planet that is part of the Imperium, and if they do they can't take Salia (the Eldar), Ko'vash (the Tau) and Brunnian (the other :P) down to the planet - they'd get lynched! They'd even have to be careful about Galileo and Rhoda (the Ogryn and the Ratling respectively) depending on how hardcore the population is. And you need to have that feeling there, that oppression, that suppression of freedom of thought, otherwise it's not 40k. It's just a space setting with some familiar races. Yeah, there are nice (or okay :P) places out there, but they are very much the exception rather than the rule. When I'm designing NPCs I do use the Law vs Chaos/Good vs Evil alignment scheme, but that's with a hefty disclaimer of "for 40k!" afterward. Chaotic Good by any other setting's standards is Chaotic Neutral by 40k's, AT BEST.

Let's take a cool scene from The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers. Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas have wandered into Rohan and are greeted by Eomer and his Rohirrim. Eomer says "What business does a man, an elf and a dwarf have in the Riddermark?" If that was 40k and Rohan was the Imperium, you wouldn't get "What business does a man, an Eldar and a Tau have in the Imperium?" No, you'd get a lot of lasgun fire and then some dead adventurers. That doesn't mean you can't have a human, an Eldar and a Tau adventuring together in 40k - as I said, I have that setup (and more) in my campaign - but it does mean you need to remember where your characters exist. What kind of people they are going to have to be for this to work.

For example, Anastasia (our Rogue Trader) has an Eldar Aurora class light cruiser. That's purely because her player preferred the aesthetics of Eldar ships to Imperial but wanted to still be human, and I was willing to make the concession to get her into the universe I love so much. But she can't just get away with it - one of the aforementioned three supervillains is an Adeptus Mechanicus Archmagos who's pursuing her for (amongst other things) tech heresy! With his battleship. You can't just get away with stuff. This is not Star Wars. Most people say that the Tau Empire are the closest thing to true "Good" we have in 40k, and despite all the things that may or may not be going on with mind control and sterilisation in that particular faction, these people are technically right. They are the closest thing to traditional "good" in 40k - but remember, if the Tau Empire was in Star Trek, they would be the villains. They're practically the Dominion, for crying out loud!

This has been a long and meandering post and has gone wildly off-topic, but always, no matter what you are doing, remember where you are. I don't think anybody was suggesting Wargamer's hypothesised party of a Space Marine, a Farseer, a Warboss and a Necron Lord, but still. Another thing... I don't want to sound pigheaded, but you've got to know the rules before you can break them. And by that I mean the setting. That's why Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader don't have rules for alien PCs - newcomers to the setting would no doubt get the wrong end of the stick and make a DnD IN SPACE party, and that just wouldn't work without knowing exactly how to pull it off - something the newcomers, obviously, would not know.

[spoiler=My Campaign]If you're curious as to how I got a human Rogue Trader an Eldar ship, how she's got a Tau ally when the Tau Empire is literally on the other side of the galaxy, or anything else - then go ahead and ask. I talked too much about my campaign as it is, but if you're curious to see how I handled stuff like this I'm only too happy to tell you.[/spoiler]

Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 22:34   #24 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Epic post.

Pretty much says it all. You can do most things you want, but you just need to come up with something that justifies it. Rogue traders are a great way to skirt the normal rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 22:55   #25 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
What you (Zambia) propose is a good idea in theory, but if you intend to run it on the website it will not work. I guarantee it. Ideally you want to do it in real life (obviously not practical ), but failing that you want to do it on a chat site - even just an impromptu MSN group chat would work. Rules-based RPGs do not work in play-by-post format, you need it to be real time to work. On the subject of the episodic idea itself, it is something I know a lot of roleplayers like. Wargamer is clearly not one of them and to be frank neither am I - I like building up epic storylines featuring dashing heroes and mighty, foreboding villains (the Rogue Trader campaign I'm currently running has THREE supervillains), so playing one-shots isn't for me. However, the very existence of Paranoia (a game system, for those who don't know) proves it can work - it's very hard to run a full campaign of it, because the setting is if anything MORE restricting of epic development than 40k is. But it's great to do as a one shot between campaigns, or a string of one-shots. Your idea, Zambia, with the right players and right direction will build up a great series of snapshots into the setting of 40k and it ensures that the players won't get bored with their characters - a good thing to be sure - though if they do really enjoy a character, it is somewhat jarring to know they can't take said character with them. Although sometimes the character becomes more interesting when he comes with an expiry date =P
I suggested in the first post that we were using vassal. It combines all the dice rolling needs along with the 40k models AND is a chat room within itself I know play by post is very slow compared to chat rooms, and vassal meaning everyone can see the situation and the party can talk amongst themselves as a group is vital, especially for the DM to know this communication is going on. Also, the ability to just "add" models (eg enemy reinforcements pop around the corner, come through a sewer manhole, etc) will really help with vassal.

I do like your idea, and everyone else's, on the "mixed group party" but think that thre are already alot of games like it...i was looking something more to what i initially proposed. (and have already started some basics) It is good...but be careful with the LOTR quote...because while a man, a dwalf and an elf might be unusual, the races of men, dwalves and elves aren't forever locked in war with eachother and every other race :P it says it on the back cover on the rulebook. Nonetheless it would be an interesting roleplaying gametype, and from what you talk about it, its very effective and successful. Was an epic read tho.

If i run into any problems with this D&D style, ill let you know

Cheers

Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 23:49   #26 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Not wanting to threadjack, but I had to tell you guys this seeing as you seem to be interested in how the campaign's going:

Anastasia and her crew have now encountered the AdMech battleship, and seeing as it's, well, a frelling AdMech battleship, they took the sensible option and ran away. They chose to lay low around and on the nearest planet (the battleship traced their planned course, so they hope that that's where the battleship is heading, rather than tracing their random jump), except... the nearest planet happens to be said battleship's base of operations in the Cygnus Arm. They don't know that yet. Oh dear

So the Anthillien Ascendant (their ship) is currently lurking in close orbit on the dark side of this planet, originally a neutral forge but in the last few centuries it has been taken over by the Mechanicus, with Salia (the Eldar), Faydra (the Navigator), Rhoda (the Ratling) and Ko'vash (the Tau) on board. The only settlement on the planet is the forge itself, a relatively small settlement (the whole planet's basically a massive active volcano) on the surface but reaches down through the depths of the planet almost to the core. As they did not know it was an AdMech world, Galileo (the Ogryn, who's what you'd get if you combined Stephen Hawking, Stephen Fry and Discworld's Leonard of Quirm) wanted to head down and investigate the construction of this Forge out of curiosity. So Anastasia, Galileo, Double-O (an ex Imperial Guardsman, who happens to be scared shitless by the Adeptus Mechanicus) and Brunnian (see Spoiler) head down to the planet in a shuttle. Galileo leaves the shuttle to go introduce himself to the overseer and see if he can find out about this place's construction and if they can swap science info, whilst the others sit in the shuttle shitting themselves as they've now seen the Cog symbols all over the place and know where they've landed.

[spoiler=Brunnian's race, the Phanten]Phanten are vaguely humanoid aliens standing anywhere between seven and eight feet tall. Some have leathered, grey skin while others are covered in thick shaggy hair in various natural colours; browns, dark reds, blacks and, occasionally, white. Their feet have toes like that of an elephant on modern day Earth, and they also bear the heads of those creatures. Both males and females grow tusks, though the females grow a pair while the males grow four. Phanten have four arms and four digits on each hand. In effect this grants them five upper body limbs, when one considers the trunk.

Serengeta, homeworld of the Phanten, is covered by plains and grasslands. These aliens are mostly nomadic, so buildings are far between. While retaining a deceptively high level of technology, the Phanten have no Empire to speak of and no desire for one, they are out of the way enough to not be considered a threat by the major galactic players and well defended enough to hold their sole system (with five colonised planets) against minor invaders. However, in recent centuries, as Phanten have gradually left their home in search of fame, fortune and adventure amongst the stars, many have realised the value of the material their tusks are grown from known as evorai. Once word spreads across the region of this material and the location of the Serengeta system becomes compromised, the days of the Phanten may well be numbered.[/spoiler]

An electrical storm flares over the city and hits the landing pad, scrambling the shuttle's propulsion and causing it to fall down the Forge's chasm, eventually stopping several hundred miles down by landing in a web designed to catch falling debris. Once there, Anastasia, Double-O and Brunnian met the original inhabitants of the planet - cybernetically augmented humans who had owned the Forge before the Mechanicus arrived - and one charismatic individual who is attempting to lead a rebellion and get out - no easy task when the Mechanicus are ruling the planet with an iron fist, and keeping the original population's descendants docile via addiction to a cocktail of drugs. The plan was to repair the propulsion on the shuttle and simply fly out of there, possibly picking up Galileo, returning to the Anthillien Ascendant and getting the frell away from the system.

Only problem is, before the shuttle was repaired a massive iris bulkhead closed off above them, presumably some sort of measure to keep the levels of the Forge separated in an emergency.

So the three of them are stuck down there in this drug fuelled mining slum with no way out, one of their companions is going through Emperor-knows-what at the top (or he may just be chilling with the techpriests =P) and they have no way of contacting the Anthillien in orbit around the planet.

Oh yeah, and having realised that they didn't follow the course they traced, Mr Supervillain Archmagos is on his way back.

And that all happened in the third session.

I'm... not 100% sure how they're going to get out of this one. But I think we'll have fun finding out
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote