Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Breaking News: Australian PM steps down, first female PM elected!
Old 23 Jun 2010, 12:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Breaking News: Australian PM steps down, first female PM elected!

This straight off the presses as I watch our PM live on TV.

Recently in Australian politics the current government has been 'under fire' from the public and recently his own party for failed implementation of policy.

It began with the promises and idealistic policies proposed during the 2007 Federal election. It began with action on the environment, and action on a stagnating education, health, and infrastructure policies.
After the Election, Kevin Rudd PM was elected as the leader of the Australian Labour Party.
The Kyoto Protocol was ratified (Aus was not a part of the Kyoto protocol), target of 60% was set by 2050.
The proposal of an Emissions Trading Scheme was announced, along with other energy efficiency policies.
Due to the Financial Crisis a massive stimulus package was announced, along with an Education 'revolution' to stimulate the Australian economy.

However this is where it turned from good long term policies to massive failure in implementation, and the subsequent leadership crisis.

The ETS was voted out twice from government, it lead to the changing of the opposition leadership. There was not any good discussion between the two parties. Mostly this is the fault of the opposition.
The Energy efficiency policies were found to be poorly implemented. Especially with the Home Insulation issue (poor implementation of policy led to dodgy installers and 4 deaths). Subsequently the government pulled the pin on this policy leaving thousands of installers out of pocket and left with thousands of useless insulation batts and loss of jobs. Kevin Rudd promised to rebate the insulators, they only receive 20% on each Batt.

The education revolution has been a source of constant controversy especially with the costing of certain projects and schools not being able to choose what they need to be built. They are just told what they are getting regardless of what they actually need.

There was the constant pressure on the relaxation of asylum seeker policies that has been speculated to cause the recent surge in asylum seekers to Australia. The main detention center on Christmas Island is full. There is no clear policy on what the government is going to do.

Finally the sudden announcement of the Mining super profit tax, without prior consultation with the Mining industry. It has resulted in the most recent dissatisfaction with the PM. Especially from his own party.

In summary, a dis-jointment from promises made during the 2007 election coupled with failed leadership on major policies has caused a major drop in his approval rating. Now we are seeing the ALP in major crisis as they go into their party rooms to vote on wether they choose Kevin Rudd to remain PM or we get our first Female prime minister in Julie Gillard.

Only time will tell.

UPDATE

This morning (Aus time) during a Labour party meeting the positions of Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister were announced vacant and the former Pm Kevin Rudd stepped down. Julia Gillard was voted in as PM unopposed.
This is only the second time in Australian history that a PM has not finished their first term. The first was Gough Whitlam when a double dissolution trigger was enacted by the Governor General (Parliament was disbanded and new elections called), and now the second was Kevin Rudd dismissed by his own party. It is the first time that a PM has been demoted by his own party.

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 15:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Breaking News: Australian PM steps down, first female PM elected!

I hope the left and right political wings of Australia choke on the 2010 election, the filthy lying cheating bastards. I'm just really desperately unhappy with the Australian political landscape at the moment and having to choose between Gillard, Abbot or Brown is just immensely depressing.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2010, 15:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

The fact it's a big deal she's a woman just goes to show how deeply sexist society still is. Not just jokingly in a "make me a sandwich" sort of way either. It's a pretty big deal she's a woman PM. If society was no longer sexist, society wouldn't care that she's a woman; even the first woman. It should matter as much as the First Prime Minister to wear sneakers to work, or the First Prime Minister to have a cell phone in their pocket. Yes it's a great victory for women, but it also shows how far they have to go.

Not accusing you of sexism Dangerman, I'm sure your media is making it a much bigger deal she's a woman than normal people are.

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
compubrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 01:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuBrains
The fact it's a big deal she's a woman just goes to show how deeply sexist society still is. Not just jokingly in a "make me a sandwich" sort of way either. It's a pretty big deal she's a woman PM. If society was no longer sexist, society wouldn't care that she's a woman; even the first woman. It should matter as much as the First Prime Minister to wear sneakers to work, or the First Prime Minister to have a cell phone in their pocket. Yes it's a great victory for women, but it also shows how far they have to go.

Not accusing you of sexism Dangerman, I'm sure your media is making it a much bigger deal she's a woman than normal people are.
Not really. Just the fact that with the past 26 Prime Ministers being Male, Julia is the first Female. Rather than being sexist I thought it was good to highlight the achievement of a woman in a highly patriarchal government. It would be sexist if the context was there. But its just a factual statement.
Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 03:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Lord Zambia

I think she would be the one saying "I am the first female prime minister" more than others, to try and show that it is equal and what not. If us saying she is the first female prime minister is sexist, then she is sexist too...

Hence, we arent sexist at the same time we are serious at all :P

Lord Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhontauel
4 lightening claws LMAO. wouldn't the inquisition get involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Killing terminators with flamers is like trying to stop a charging elephant with a fly swatter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
if your not going to change your ammo between battles then you deserve to be giving people rashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrino
Ah, that's a shame. It's kind of funny, because I'd imagine that running headfirst into a force field would pretty much ruin your initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Why not take over France? You could do it with a pistol, which in doing would make you the most armed man in the country.
Want to play Robot Wars using 40k Concepts? PM me for details on how you can get your FREE copy of the rules.
Lord Zambia is offline   Reply With Quote