Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Powerful handheld laser 'lightsaber' for sale...
Old 21 Jun 2010, 19:52   #71 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Powerful handheld laser 'lightsaber' for sale...

Just be glad I'm not in weapons research or the military :P.

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2010, 20:06   #72 (permalink)
Ethereal

Wouldn't suprise me if they'd developed such things, but I doubt they've got any PR people that could make it look like a valid tactic against insurgents in villages. ^^
Old 21 Jun 2010, 20:33   #73 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezzy
Quote:
Very true, one possible application would be to use a special prism to blind everybody in the vicinity so you could never 'look upon' the enemy without going blind. Very inhuman, but a possible application.
An airbourne version of that would be horrendous.

Airborne wouldn't necessarily be that effective, in my opinion. When was the last time someone got blinded badly by the sun?

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2010, 20:40   #74 (permalink)
Ethereal

The sun doesn't blind instantly, otherwise I'd be blind. :P
Old 21 Jun 2010, 21:05   #75 (permalink)
Shas'La

No, but my point is that, to a certain extent, we are already used to such an obstacle. Admittedly, a sun that also dropped bombs on us would certainly be interesting, at least until someone figured out how to wear more than one set of sunglasses at the same time. :P

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2010, 22:51   #76 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I'm glad I brought that up. The planes with lasers was exactly the reason I didn't say we had no military application thus far.

And as a sniper rifle it does have 1 use. You can still instantly blind someone from very long ranges, and a blinded enemy is a casualty for all military purposes. The handheld thing that started the discussion can blind at a quarter of a kilometer in less than a second. Build one the size of a .50 cal, how far will it instantly blind people?

In much the same ways it often better to wound than kill because other soldiers have to take care of that soldier blinding is even more so. That soldier has to be taken care of to a degree forever and he will never be a soldier or even really a threat ever again.

Using a prism like device to blind the enemy(something I mentioned earlier) would be more useful against 3rd world nations than anything else. Any major player could get their troops special sunglasses or even goggles. You could have goggles that were basically little cameras on one side and TVs on the other, the laser itself can not get in the eye but the soldier can see just fine. There are probably plenty of cheaper solutions as well.

Quote:
Yeah, most of the theory (behind the YAL anyway) was concerned not with exposive force on the target, but heating it up and either holing it so that its flight becomes unstable and it spins out of control, or heating the warhead/fuel up until it explodes.
The explanations I always say involved targeting the middle(largest part) of the missile with hopes of either making holes in it that would detribalize flight or going deeper and detonating the fuel. They never went for the warhead to my knowledge because if it was chemical/biological or if it somehow set off a nuclear weapon you now have fallout.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2010, 04:23   #77 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: Somewhere cliché, like... behind you, or in your room maybe. I don't know.

Not to be a debbie downer, but as for the "blinding people with light" idea, I'm fairly certain this technology has been around for a while and it's a war crime...

Here we go, this goes back to 1996: http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/html/57JN4Y

Summary: The weapon could cause temporary blindness, but none of this "they'd never be a threat again" nonsense people want to throw around.

If you read this sentince, it will tell you nothing.
compubrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2011, 04:55   #78 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Everyone KNOWS that lightsabers arent actually laser light, but that actually the sabre hilt is a flask of high energy plasma, and the blade is actually a magnetic field bottle in the shape of an empty tube with the end pinched off- when the lightsaber is turned on, the field forms, and the plasma is slowly released into that bottle of magnetic containment(thus extending out as it does)- there is in fact no laser at all.

theres a youtube channel called KipKay where he makes little gizmos, and has a theme of kitbashed lasers and prank stuff. One of his devices is a blueray player laserdiode put into a 6v flashlight case- a cutting laser- which may be up to 1w. I know that it was confiscated by TSA when he put it in his luggage when he flew somewhere, so it was a nono- but he never got charges pressed or anything. It would light matches (that had a black sharpie mark on them), pop black balloons, and slowly cut duct tape- but thats about it.

Yeah.. KipKay. kewl channel. not just lasers, he has an IR "see through clothes" setup that works for certain sony camcorders- where a bright flashlight with a certain nm filter and the right camera mode literally makes clothing transparent (sorta)

but anyway, if you want to see video of what these 1w lasers actually can do- you can see some demonstrations on his channel

And am I a bad man if I made me a handpowered laser pointer out of one of those hand powered flashlights and a laser diode? I may need to point at something after the Zombie apocolypse when AA batteries are no longer available!