Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

US finds vast minerial wealth under Afghanistan
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:34   #11 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: US finds vast minerial wealth under Afghanistan

Halliburton is not that into mineral exploration, though. I would be surprised if they were involved in any significant capacity. They have spent the last few years restructuring back to their original purpose. But there are plenty of US companies that would want to be involved in supporting a state-run mining interest in Afghanistan. They just aren't household names.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:35   #12 (permalink)
Shas'El

For the amount of money that is there, you can guarantee they'll make a bid for it.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:36   #13 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
For the amount of money that is there, you can guarantee they'll make a bid for it.
Do you think Nabisco will be making a bid? What about Time-Warner?

Seriously, people seem to have a strange idea of what Halliburton actually does. That is partly a fault of the company itself. They have sort of become a buzzword for shady contracting work, but as a company their capabilities are pretty much limited to oil and gas extraction and support. Even the support capabilities utilized in Iraq were part of KBR.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:38   #14 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Do you think Nabisco will be making a bid? What about Time-Warner?

Seriously, people seem to have a strange idea of what Halliburton actually does. That is partly a fault of the company itself.
I think welike to believe that the corupt will do anything for a buck. Thinking otherwise makes soemthing human and harder to hate.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:46   #15 (permalink)
Shas'El

Halliburton does a lot of things from consultation to energy to telecommunications to manufacturing (which would be particularly interested in mineral deposits) and many other things. Large corporations like don't just do one thing.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:48   #16 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
Halliburton does a lot of things from consultation to energy to telecommunications to manufacturing (which would be particularly interested in mineral deposits) and many other things. Large corporations like don't just do one thing.
They do indeed do many different things, although both their manufacturing and telecommunications groups principally serve drilling operations. My point is that mineral exploration and extraction has not been one of their capabilities. It is possible that they might want to start, but in order to do that they would buy out an existing mineral exploration company.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 02:08   #17 (permalink)
Shas'El

The release of this information probably has more to do with recent signs that both sides are playing with the idea of brokering a peace deal than anything else.

Greed is a wonderful motivator to get things moving in the right direction. The mineral wealth is largely worthless without the means to extract it, so with the cat out of the bag it's just a matter of choosing who to get into bed with.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote