Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

BP troubles in the Gulf
Old 24 Jun 2010, 15:54   #171 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: BP troubles in the Gulf

Well...It finally hit (close to) home yesterday at Pensacola Beach. The white sandy beaches are now covered in globs of oil and some dead fish. I live further down the shore and I can't imagine waking up to that horrible smell everyday.

If that doesn't scare you out of your frilly pink leotards, guess what: You are an idiot and you hate America.
Begel Dverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 16:11   #172 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm sorry to hear that Be'gel.

In other horrific news, one of the little robots bumped into the containment cap and they had to pull it back up. Apparently when the two hit it made the tube clog. So until they get the pipe back down we have all the oil coming out again. There is still no concrete number for how many bpd, but most things I'm reading suggest 50-60k pbd. When they were catching it they were catching or burning close to 20-25k bpd and many studies believe they are capturing less than half.

http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_n...010-34375.html

And to make it worse... tropical storm on the way. BP says that if the storm comes their way they will have to move the ships that are collecting the oil, and stall the relief wells. Plus a storm could move the oil around even more.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/26/gul...saster/?hpt=T2

Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:49   #173 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
And to make it worse... tropical storm on the way. BP says that if the storm comes their way they will have to move the ships that are collecting the oil, and stall the relief wells. Plus a storm could move the oil around even more.
Good bye, green trees and grass.

If that doesn't scare you out of your frilly pink leotards, guess what: You are an idiot and you hate America.
Begel Dverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 09:30   #174 (permalink)
Ethereal

Suddenly all those 'tree huggers' complaining about our dependancy on oil don't look so stupid, huh. :P
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:17   #175 (permalink)
Shas'O

Surely a storm is a good thing, so long as the pipes are stopped up.

The extra 'roughness' of the water will break up and partially emulsify the oil, thus allowing it to degrade naturally far faster than normal. Just hope that the oil doesn't get pushed into the marshlands otherwise it will be decades of disaster...

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:45   #176 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Surely a storm is a good thing, so long as the pipes are stopped up.

The extra 'roughness' of the water will break up and partially emulsify the oil, thus allowing it to degrade naturally far faster than normal. Just hope that the oil doesn't get pushed into the marshlands otherwise it will be decades of disaster...

Gen
If the pipes were stopped up, we wouldn't have a problem in the first place!

Anyway, I'm bemused at your reasoning that a storm would be a good thing! Thankfully it now seems that the eye of the storm will miss the general area of the oil spill, but as far as I can see, the general conscensus among experts is that the situation would have become even worse than it already is, had the position of the storm been otherwise. Not only would the oil itself have been spread over a far greater area, but recovery work (including all drilling of relief wells) would have had to have been suspended on grounds of safety - I believe it was estimated that work could have been halted for fourteen days. How could this possibly have been a good thing?

Even if it were true that after a storm, the oil will degrade faster than normal (which is a claim whose factuality I can't comment on, since I don't have any scientific expertise in this area) I'm not sure that the said rate of degradation is really the most important factor here. A coast that has been blighted by oil is still blighted, regardless of whether the oil proceeds to decay out of existence one day later or one year later. And the consequences of that oil will continue to live on, long after the oil itself has gone. And of course, this argument fails to take into account the thousands of barrels of oil that continue to leak into the ocean every day.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 14:14   #177 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Anyway, I'm bemused at your reasoning that a storm would be a good thing!
Well, I guess you could say he's a dedicated optimist, if nothing else. :P

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 14:23   #178 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't know how easily oil would be drawn up with water by an approaching storm over the Gulf. The principal downsides are that it forces work to stop on the relief wells and capping, it renders the booms ineffective, and storm surge will carry anything close to the coast inland.

Increased wave action might help break the oil up, but I have no idea the extent to which this will occur.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote