Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Death Penalty
Old 17 Mar 2010, 15:35   #111 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Death Penalty

Just to clarify... i brought the James Bulger case up as an example of how executing the murderes (no matter their age), does not bring the victim back.

As for the execution of ten year olds. At age 10 you are legally responsible for your actions, therefore, if you're found guilty you should be sentenced what you deserve/ what the judge & or jury decides, and if that's death - so be it.

I do not feel either way in some cases, but my view on execution remains the same, it doesn't properly resolve the case.
When i was particularly radical in school, i still wasn't in favour of it, not because of 'rights' or 'mercy' (something i believed should be an alien concept to the criminal justice system),... more because it got you off this mortal realm quickly... hard labour for food & water was my idea of punishment...

Still, even now i'm more in favour of victims rights, not criminal rights, and punishment not rehabilitation... as far as i'm concerned, you wave your rights when you commit a crime, and when you are convicted beyond reasonable doubt, then your rights are forfeighted (is that how you spell it? ) untill you're deemed fit to re-enter society... There should be a combination of punishment & rehab, say for example, doing hard labour, & classes... and interesting mix i suppose, or doing work to eat. Nothing like working to eat & drink to teach you that you reap what you sow...

Old 17 Mar 2010, 20:20   #112 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

Well you do forfeit rights when convicted. But some rights (such as the right to a fair trial) need to be available to everyone for them to be worth anything at all.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 20:27   #113 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As i say, your rights are forfeited when convicted, so up untill then you do get the right to a fair trial...

There just seems to be a thing (loosely speaking), of rights for the criminal & not for the victim. I also dont agree w/ people saying prisoners should be able to vote, again, for the above reasons.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 21:07   #114 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

Even if you're convicted you have the right to be treated fairly by the justice system. otherwise it's not justice.

I think the criminal's rights issue is just that: a 'thing', that seems to be. Which rights would you take away from criminals? And why do rights have to be either for the criminal or the victim?

Old 18 Mar 2010, 02:46   #115 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Obviously they should have the right to a fair trial... and well all the rights that deal with the court system.

All my opinion.
Should they have the right to bear arms.. no. Free speech... debatable. Right to vote... no.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2011, 06:59   #116 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Isnt this the greatest questian of our age,first of all what i have yet to see from any of the complaints is the fact of money. it cost roughly $35 a day to keep a man in prison,(im speaking american of course) and in a year thats $12775, more than a low class american makes in a year. so whats better? $12775, or a bullet:$7.50 a box
second, My father works at the county prison, and he has seen many of those people come out and live normal lives, others go out, their back next week, some are homeless who do crimes turn themselves in just for the "home and free meal", but this is minimum security.
the maximum security prison however, is entirely different situation. If your placed in one youve done something realy bad. even if it was for something justified. like your wife/husband was cheating on you, you shoot them, that i can understand. but once your in, thats it, maximum security is a zoo full of the most deadly and wild animals the world can spew out. if you get in you either turn into one of them or you die. plain and simple.
Now go ahead and make your arguments belidle me all you whant, besides im 16, a child, young and niaive, this is what think, how about you?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 03:39   #117 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

for the simple fact that a dead hardcore criminal is 100% not going to do any crimes, do I favor DEATH PENALTY only for heinous crimes (serial killer, rapist, multiple counts of murder, etc).

It's a blind trust to the justice system, that however broken it was their hit-miss ratio is still above 90%. the 'assumed' convicted 'innocent' should be treated as collateral damage for the greater good.

It's a waste of taxpayers money and an injustice to the working poor that we continue to spend moolah for hardcore convicts.
omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote