Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Respect for the flag.(aka, flag burning and flag care)
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jun 2005, 01:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Respect for the flag.(aka, flag burning and flag care)

Okay, to get this out of the Gun control thread I thought we might as well have a thread about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrovii
The reason you formally burn a flag instead of throw it in a garbage bag is it's tradition and respect. You don't throw your dead mother in a garbage bag. You don't throw your childhood dog in a garbage bag.

You don't throw your country's symbol in a garbage bag.
I understand that. I do however wonder why burning it? Given the western view of buring our dead it's suprising that flags aren't treated in a similar manner. Why of all the options did ceremonial buring become the proper way to dispose of flags?
Old 26 Jun 2005, 02:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jhrovii
Default Re: Respect for the flag.(aka, flag burning and flag care)

We also creamate our dead too, though not as often...

I believe the reason we still burn it is tradition...the original reason? Well, if you're out in the middle of nowhere, 200 years ago, with a tattered flag, fighting your behind off...do you really want to dig a hole to bury some cloth when you have a fire already burning to cook food? As long as it is done reverently, with prayers, speeches and such as there is now...it's actually the same as a proper burial, except no waste practically.

Just an educated guess though...
Old 26 Jun 2005, 10:03   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I believe the original point of burning a flag is because they are your colours, and letting them fall into enemy hands would be a terrible disgrace. Thus if you burn them, they can't be captured.

Burning an enemy flag is also a damn good way to show how you feel about them *Burns USA flag outside the White House*.

I also wanted to put this in the Gun Control thread, but it's more apropriate here:

A flag is more than a pretty piece of fabric, it's a patriotic declaration, symbol of personal and national pride, and racist statement all in one. To fly a flag is an act of defiance against all who do not pledge allegance to that flag. If you ever saw me bearing the Union Jack or St. George's Cross, then anyone who isn't from the UK is probably going to get hammered. Flags are the ultimate symbol of national pride, and to let one fall, or be captured or burned, is the ultimate dishonour to yourself and your country. Thus it is that to bear a flag means you are almost certainly picking a fight; for anyone who does not salute that flag is an enemy, and challenges the honour of said flag.

If you understand that, you'll understand why the English don't fly flags on every corner of our car, and out of every window...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Jun 2005, 10:42   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Except Ambassadors and Football fans. The welsh, on the other hand, put them wherever they can, and generally with a derogatary anti-english message on them <and then accuse me of being racist cuz some foreign dudes who happened, to have settled in that country had invaded, and eventually got them to sign a bit of paper saying that we owned them>

Still, i'll say this in their favour....They have a much better capital city then us.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 26 Jun 2005, 12:19   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo Joe
Except Ambassadors and Football fans.
Well Ambassadors fly our flag because they represent the interests and ideals of said flag, and Football fans fly our flag because football is the closest thing we're allowed to a decent inter-country brawl these days...

...ah, the days when a man could march into Agincourt and longbow the frogs. :

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 26 Jun 2005, 17:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Bechy

I don't really think that flying a flag is picking a fight, it's just a way to show you support your country.
Old 26 Jun 2005, 17:50   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechy
I don't really think that flying a flag is picking a fight, it's just a way to show you support your country.
And so if you're "showing your support", and I decide to burn the same flag, it wouldn't bother you?

Quote:
Old 26 Jun 2005, 18:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Those are two different things, And it depends if its taking place in the country of the flag, like flying a flag of america in America is not considered offensive, on the otherhand burning a flag in the country of the flag will piss a lot of people off, regardless of free speach.
Old 26 Jun 2005, 18:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Given the amount of times I've seen the American flag burning in my lifetime both in the US and abroad it's no wonder they keep trying to pass a amendment against it. Obviously both abroad and at home there are peole that feel America needs a serious change or why would it be so common they would consider such methods of protest. :-\

Do you think this is really the best way they could get thier views out into the open?
Old 26 Jun 2005, 18:30   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
Do you think this is really the best way they could get thier views out into the open?
Yes. For centuries the US Flag has been the symbol of the nation and what it stands for. Burning the US Flag shows you are an enemy, that you are opposed to the people and ideals who that flag represents.

Thus when Americans burn the American flag, they show that they have no faith in the government of America, and they do it in a way everyone can recognise.

Quote:
Closed Thread