Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Barnardo's advert shows the hunting of children
Old 17 Nov 2008, 10:15   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Barnardo's advert shows the hunting of children

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7732290.stm

Found this online, thought it was quite funny.

Apparently, half of UK society is condemming "feral" kids and making claims such as "they should be shot"

Quote:
Some 54% of the adults questioned thought that British children behaved like "animals". More than a third of those surveyed also agreed that the streets were "infested" with children, while 43% said something had to be done to protect adults.
The advert is funny as hell, although slightly disturbing that people are making claims of shooting kids.

Now, I'm happy to let a bunch of chav's get shot, but what I really want to know is - Why are people blaming the kids?

Surely this feral behaviour is a result of the parenting, not the children? And how many of these people who are so scared of them have brought their children up differently?

In my town, we have our gangs of "ferals" but thankfully they are not as bad as the big cities - we've only had 2 stabbings, but all the kids like this are chavs.

So, what to people think? Is this a worrying trend? Should more be done, and is it the kids fault, or the parents?

All the comments in the video are (claimed) to be comments they have recieved in response to feral kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Barnardo's advert shows the hunting of children

S'just natural selection

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Is the video suppose to be a joke because thats a bit disturbing if it isn't.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:23   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall

Sort of. The hunting of kids is obviously a joke, but the comments made in it are real comments made by adults on the state of Britain's "Feral" children - gangs of children sometimes with knives who spend their nights roaming the streets drinking and causing hassle.

Adults are quite frankly, fed up. And Barnardo's is showing just how bad it is when you get adults calling them vermin, and saying shoot them.

In a semi serious way, I agree. To hell with their human rights, and get rid of them (although I'd go with chain gangs rather than 00).

Its clearly a growing problem though - to show you how bad this is over here, I give you Gary Newlove.

Just to let it sink in -
Quote:
Mr Newlove confronted a gang of youths who had been making his life "a misery" before they beat him to death in August last year.

He suffered massive head injuries after being punched to the ground and kicked "as if he were a football".

Mr Newlove's wife Helen, 44, and two of his daughters tended to him as he lay in the road.

But he never regained consciousness and died of a brain haemorrhage at Warrington General Hospital two days later.

The eldest of the teenagers convicted, Adam Swellings, 19, from Crewe, Cheshire, had been released from custody on bail just hours before he took part in the killing.
And in case you missed it, he was kicked as if his head were a football.

By a 19 year old.

And you wonder why adults are saying "gun them down" or "to hell with their human rights"?

The perpetrators appealed against their life sentence (minimun 17 years) and thankfully lost.

Quote:
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:32   #5 (permalink)
Anton

It is the demonetization of younger people by the media, analyse the facts and physically go outside then people would realise that it is not as bad as the media make it out to be. People are stupid and they believe false facts and anger fueled journalists, the majority of young people are decent folk who don't bother anybody. I'm not surprised by the statistics Barnardo's have discovered and I am in total agreement with them, the mass hatrid towards young people has to stop, y'know these hate driven adults were once children themselves. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall
It is to highlight the seriousness of the situation and show people what senseless anger can lead to, I've heard adults talk about young people in a degrading manner many times and I do think it's about time it all stopped. What these selfish, bitter people do not realise is that decent young people like myself will have to pay for their pensions and keep this country afloat, the "feral" young people (which basically degrades all young people) they are so quick to judge will be the lifeblood of this country and keeping the now elderly angry people from starving or freezing to death.

Please remember that it is only a minority of young people who are like this, not all of them. People have to stop thinking that anybody who doesn't pay taxes or who can't legally buy alcohol are a scourge to the human race, how would killing solve the problem? Why not bring the minorties parents out and shoot them for being allowed to conceive a child? Why not shoot everyone?

You have feral adults as well, just take a walk down your town centre at 1am in the morning and you'll soon see the hypocrisy of the whole issue. Judging an entire group of people on the actions of a minority is out of order.

I believe the term "holier than thou" suits the issue perfectly.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:44   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Judging an entire group of people on the actions of a minority is out of order.
Problem is, at least where I am, its a bloody huge "minority"

At anyone time, there can be about 20-30 ferals wandering the town centre in various groups, we have a housing estate at the back of our house where a group started to fight with bits of 2x4 and to smash up cars - we called the police, and watched from the window as 7 squad cars turned up to pull it apart.

The parent of one kid who had had a length of wood was dragged out to explain to the cops what in seven hells she was letting her kid run around like that for, although we couldn't hear sadly.

Its mental. We've had one guy crippled and another die from a stabbing by a feral, we have windows broken every friday in the town.

I've nothing against gangs - there's one I know a couple of people from we jokingly call the scooter posse (as they all ride them limited scooters) and they meet up and hang around the local bowling place. Harmless they are, just out to socialize.

Its the "minority" in town thats the problem - we frequently have to call the police at our warhammer club due to the breaking of windows and hasslement of the younglings.

And we are one of the better areas.

Demonisation? Yes. Problem? Equally yes.

Quote:
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Anton, you're only bothered because you're 17 and don't want to be tarred with the same brush. This is understandable. I'm 19 so I get it too, I'm not going to kick someone's head like a football... I don't like sports.

But if you're going to pretend that this isn't a highly noticeable minority that something does need to be done about then you are living in a seriously sheltered place. I know this because I used to.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 13:37   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Actually, the media DOES demonize things.

Example: Several years ago in Alabama I believe it was, a man murdered 5 members of his family. MSNBC called the Sheriff's department and asked what type of gun he used to commit the crime, when the Sheriff said that he used a knife MSNBC hung up.*

*Note I am not trying to make this about firearms, just using it as an example.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 13:41   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Tak
Actually, the media DOES demonize things.
No one said they didn't. But demonizing a real problem doesn't make that problem any different.

Quote:
Old 17 Nov 2008, 14:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to coolmule

I'd say that it is a problem, no question, although not quite as bad as the media would have you believe. I reckon I live in a pretty good spot for feral-spotting, living in London with a healthy choice of council estates to pick from in my local area. But what do you guys think should be done? I wonder what makes people do these things and why me and my friends opted for a more subtle way of getting pissed. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that the fact that these kids are usually from poorer families than my well to do middle class chums isn't a coincidence.