Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Knowledge Or Lack of It
Old 17 Sep 2008, 13:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Knowledge Or Lack of It

Actually, there have been instances in which I agree with Genmotty... I don't really want to explode just yet anyways.

But yeah, in my opinion the educated often view those who view the world as black and white as uneducated and ignorant, but in doing so they condemn themselves to complexity. Sometimes, a farmer might actually have a better idea of how to solve a problem than a graduate from Yale.

In my opinion the uneducated are in fact more intelligent than the educated because they are more attuned to reality, but that's a whole different argument.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall

In my opinion the uneducated are in fact more intelligent than the educated because they are more attuned to reality, but that's a whole different argument.

Interesting. What you mean is "Too much knowledge can be as bad as too little" if I've understood you right.

Using your farmer example, he doesn't need to know why a watered plant grows better, just that it does and he can use that to increase his yield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 15:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Exactly. While the farmer probably doesn't know the molecular composition of a potato plant, he is without a doubt going to be much more successful at growing it than a trigonometry professor.

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 15:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Exactly. While the farmer probably doesn't know the molecular composition of a potato plant, he is without a doubt going to be much more successful at growing it than a trigonometry professor.
But probobly not better than a professor of agriculture

Or if the Farmers crops start failing to grow due to soil compation from heavy machinery, He would consult a soil geologist for potential solutions

The fact is that Farmers in developed countries atleast, are more often than not highly educated in their feild i.e Agriculture. So yes he probobly dose know a bit about the composition of his potato.
Solourus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 16:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A professor of agriculture would most likely abandon the crops after a days work. No air conditioning outside you see, and there are alot of bugs to deal with.

Experience is a much better education than any textbook can provide.

Old 17 Sep 2008, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
A professor of agriculture would most likely abandon the crops after a days work. No air conditioning outside you see, and there are alot of bugs to deal with.

Experience is a much better education than any textbook can provide.
The Big Land Grant schools in the US maintain extensive fields, barns, and greenhouses. That is where a great deal of the research takes place, and where many classes are taught. If you major in agricultural science, you are not going to learn it in an air-conditioned classroom. The students I knew in undergrad who were in Agriculture spent a great deal of their time working outside with crops and livestock. You see agriculture professors as guys in lab coats or suits who don't like being outside and are squeamish about insects? Do you have any actual experience to base that stereotype on?

Doesn't it bother you to post strong opinions about things you know little about? That is what it means to be ignorant. When your world view is simple because you don't know anything about the world. When you have never tried to learn. The mob takes pride in ignorance as a defense mechanism. There are times when practical experience is more useful than classroom instruction. But that is why most academic programs incorporate both, and why most employers outside of the service industry implement yearly training to back up on-the-job experience.

The idea that someone with no education is more "intelligent" is ridiculous. Ignorance does not give you a clearer picture of reality. It gives you a tiny little window of your reality heavily biased by the tiny little space you occupy. It lets you keep a very simple view of the world when you are too lazy or afraid to look beyond that window. Sometimes your simple idea of how things are is simple only because it is wrong.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 18:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No, it doesn't really bother me. Seeing first hand how the horticulture professors in my school operate and then comparing that to the knowledge I have acquired from growing up on a farm gives me a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Perhaps you shouldn't accuse people of ignorance when you do not have the same level of experience that they do?

Old 17 Sep 2008, 19:22   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Lets not see any flames people, I hate locking good topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 22:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Given that Ive actually spent a bit of time at the University of MN, which has a rather nice agro program(grew up on a farm, my dad graduated from it), I can assure you that at a good college, the professors can indeed grow stuff quite well. At least, the ones from the appropriate department can. Theres no more reason to expect an astronomy teacher to grow stuff than there is to expect a random person to know all the various astronomical stuff.

Being educated doesn't make you "less smart", it's simply a matter of what you know. Honestly, most highly educated people Ive known have a greater diversity of interests, so they know a lot about quite a bit. Some people just love learning stuff.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2008, 00:15   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Perhaps you shouldn't accuse people of ignorance when you do not have the same level of experience that they do?
I can only call them as I see them. I don't think you do have the same level of experience as I do, or you wouldn't be making that sort of point. I grew up in the country. I have worked on a dairy farm, grown my own food, and kept horses. I do not have a bias against small agriculture or local farmers. But I don't have much patience for anti-intellectualism from people who haven't put in the time to understand what is really involved past the undergraduate level. The idea that your average professor of agriculture can't take outside climate or insects is rubbish. The idea that academics occupy some sort of remote fantasy world held apart from the trials of reality is a fairy tail thought up by the media to make them less threatening to the mob. It isn't real. Ignorance is actually the kindest explanation I can find for it, since then you can be wrong without being deliberately insulting.

There probably are horticulture researchers who focus on chemistry and lab studies and aren't interested in field work. But making sweeping generalizations about all of them based on a handful, you are illustrating why holding an overly-simplistic world-view is wrong. We have a few local farmers who have been at it all their life, but are still abysmally poor at raising crops and livestock. Should I judge all small farmers by them? That would certainly be black and white.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote