Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

And in other news, <censored semi joking message against Russia>
Old 29 May 2007, 10:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default And in other news, <censored semi joking message against Russia>

Quote:
A young nationalist suspected of killing an Armenian businessman confessed to killing 37 people together with his friend, a popular Russian daily said Monday.

Vremya Novostei reported that Artur Ryno, a student at an icon painting school, detained in mid-April on suspicion of killing Karen Abramyan, an Armenian, told investigators that he has "since school hated people from the Caucasus who come to Moscow, unite and oppress Russians," and added that he suddenly realized "the city needed to be cleaned."

Ryno said he and his friend Pavel Skachevsky, both aged 18, attacked and killed dark-skinned people in Moscow&#39;s suburbs. They did not confess to the Armenian&#39;s murder until a videotape from surveillance cameras installed at the building&#39;s entrance where Abramyan lived was shown to them.

Prosecutors said Ryno and Skachevsky were detained after an eyewitness called the police and said the two people who stabbed Abramyan 20 times escaped in a streetcar. Police stopped the streetcar and arrested the two students whose clothes and a knife found on them were covered in blood.

A police source said: "At first we doubted whether what Ryno said was true - he mentioned too many details and boasted about what he had done, but at the same time the dates and crime scenes named were not precise. But the investigations we have carried out confirm that everything he says is true." However, Ryno&#39;s accomplice, Skachevsky has denied attacking anyone.

Vremya Novostei wrote that the teenagers carried out their first killing August 21, 2006, which coincided with an explosion carried out by skinheads at Moscow&#39;s Cherkizovsky market, where many traders from the North Caucasus region, former Central Asian Soviet republics, as well as Vietnam and China worked. The explosion left 11 people dead and at least 49 injured.

Ryno said when they were attacking people, bystanders did not interfere, preferring to leave the crime scene as quickly as possible.

Routine attacks by skinheads and young gangs on foreigners and people with non-Slavic features have been reported across Russia in recent years. But authorities have been generally reluctant to treat the attacks as race-hate crimes, portraying them instead as acts of hooliganism.
http://en.rian.ru/society/20070528/66198249.html

&lt;censored nonsensical statement&gt;

The entire neo nazi fever is gripping the nation, and Putin&#39;s ultra nationalist police state....well...I don&#39;t think anybody in the free world would want to be there except &lt;censored off colour joke playing on stereotypes&gt;

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 10:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Re: And in other news, Russia is a dump filled with angry angry retards

Hey, hold on, lets get a bit of perspective here.

Russia has its problems - I don&#39;t deny that - but so does every other country in the world. You can&#39;t pick up on a single isolated incident of a single disturbed individual, hype it up, and claim that that is representative of the entire population of over 140 million people.

And I can think of many reasons why people might reasonably wish to visit Russia. Contrary to the title of this topic - it is not a dump. St Petersburg for instance is one of the most beautiful cities in the world with a vibrant culture and breathtaking architecture.
Old 29 May 2007, 10:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

I agree that Russia is in a difficult spot right now, but happenings like these happen all the time.
I would not go as far to dismiss a country on the background of a homicidal maniac wanting to "Cleanse the city in the name of God."

There have been worse cases other places, like the upper-class mass murders in India, but they do not get as much media coverage as
"Nationalistic Christian Fundamentalist Slay 38!"

And the hubbub about gay rights, Putin etc. adds more negative angels at Russia. It is the flow of the media.
In the beginning of Bush&#39;s presidency, it was "in" to the media to bash him. Now, it is "in" to bashing Russia/Putin.
This does not mean that I support any of this, because I do not. But I just want to put a critical view on the media.
Even though these atrocities happen, they are often blown out of proportions.
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 11:01   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

This topic will be watched very carefully. Please keep that in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 11:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Russia has recently seen an emergence of ultra-nationalists. Add that with the fact that the entire country&#39;s economy is controlled by a group of thugs, I&#39;m not basing it off of this one incident. But this one incident is the latest case.

I used to work for Amnesty International, don&#39;t presume I&#39;m just basing it all on one incidence.

Quote:
&#39;Police moved to block thousands of ultranationalist demonstrators rallying in Russian streets on Saturday, arresting hundreds who gathered in defiance of a ban on far-right demonstrations . . . Triumphant music played over loudspeakers. At one point, many in the crowd stretched out their hands in a Nazi-type salute."

– NY Times, nov 4 2006
Quote:
Uzbek Stabbed to Death by Suspected Skinheads Near Moscow

Unidentified assailants killed an Uzbek migrant worker in a Moscow suburb in what is being seen as the second racist killing in Russia in as many days.

Late Thursday night, four unidentified people attacked two Uzbeks working in the town of Dolgoprudny, just north of Moscow. After beating them up, they stabbed both victims several times, the Interfax news agency reported.

Attacks against foreigners are on the rise in Russian cities, with eyewitnesses claiming skinheads killed yet another foreign student, this time from Vietnam, in St. Petersburg this week.

MosNews
Quote:
The firstborn son of Vali Umarov lies dying on his parents&#39; bed. Rahim is 5 months old, but he can hardly even cry out in pain. A huge brain tumor -- almost half the size of his tiny head -- protrudes from his skull. Doctors in Moscow have promised to operate, for free.

But Umarov cannot take his son to the faraway capital. An ethnic Turk who has lived here since fleeing Central Asia in the waning days of the Soviet Union, he is not a citizen of Russia and has no official permission to live here. The way things work in the southern region of Krasnodar, he has no legal right to work or drive a car. Even his marriage is not recognized. "We are afraid all the time," he said. "We are afraid even to go outside; we will never make it to Moscow to save our son."

When he drove Rahim to a doctor in the nearby provincial capital last month, Umarov said, police stopped him at a checkpoint, pushed his wife as she held the baby in her arms, and detained him for hours until he paid a bribe. These days, he says, he is afraid to go to the tomato fields that provide the family&#39;s only income; local police have started rounding up migrants there and arresting those whose paperwork isn&#39;t in order.

More problems loom. Under a law passed this spring by the fervently anti-migrant administration of Krasnodar, Umarov and hundreds of thousands of other Krasnodar residents displaced by the breakup of the Soviet empire a decade ago face the threat of deportation, even if they have nowhere else to go. Like Umarov, most of them are dark-skinned non-Russians.

"It&#39;s the 21st century, and they want to deport people on the basis of ethnicity," said Sarvar Tedorov, leader of a Turkish human rights group here. "They are persecuting us so we will be forced to leave."

The Washington Post
Susan B. Glasser
Quote:
Although armed conflict has died down in Chechnya, cases of illegal detention and abuse of human rights are still frequent. When it comes to torture, human rights activists say they are noting an actual increase in the number of cases they have to deal with.

“Any kind of torture is forbidden, whether the person is guilty or innocent, but in the Chechen Republic we are coming across cases of inhuman treatment of detainees more and more,” said Supyan Baskhanov, head of the non-governmental organisation, the Committee against Torture in Chechnya.

Baskhanov said that every other person put on trial in Chechnya rejects the confessions he or she made in detention, because they were made under torture.

By Laura Aldamova, Institution for War and Peace reporting
Quote:
A 21-year-old Ethiopian whose dark skin and black hair single him out both against the white background of a snowy Moscow winter and among his fair-skinned Russian classmates, he is afraid at first to speak about the racism he has faced, worried about the retribution it may bring. Finally, he agrees to talk, but chooses to sit at a table partly hidden by plastic trees and asks that his last name not appear in print.

"We are afraid even to mention it," the thin physical mathematics student says, dropping his voice as a blond waitress delivers coffee. "This group, the skinheads, they are not small in number. In fact, I sometimes feel as though they are half the population of Moscow. People tell us to leave this country, that Russia is only for the Russians."

Tolessa, who studies at Moscow&#39;s famous People&#39;s Friendship University, goes on to describe a life dominated by fear. When a Nigerian man was beaten to death by neo-Nazis near the campus recently, every African in the city felt a shiver down the back, he says, knowing it could have been them.

By MARK MACKINNON
Globe and Mail, Saturday, January 31, 2004
Quote:
Several racist killings -- particularly the murders of two Tajik girls aged 5 and 9, both in St Petersburg -- have provoked widespread revulsion and triggered calls for the government to take action.
Quote:
Epassak Rolan Franz, a 29-year-old from Congo, died on Wednesday in hospital after failing to recover from injuries he received when he was attacked on Friday.

Quote:
In June, Moscow football fans rioted over their defeat against Japan. They attacked not just foreign cars, but also foreign passers-by. Two were badly injured.

Among those beaten up were friends of Kevin Ochieng, a young Kenyan who has studied in Moscow for seven years. His Russian is fluent, but it makes no difference to the way he is treated.

I know the media is keen to focus on one issue, but they rarely lie blatantly, at least not western media. The fact that these are all occuring is not a sign that something is seriously wrong?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 19:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
Russia has recently seen an emergence of ultra-nationalists.
Combining this claim with the sources you&#39;ve posted and my own knowledge - I quite agree with you - this is a major problem Russia has at the moment. As I said in my post before - I don&#39;t deny that Russia has problems.

However, I&#39;m confused as to what exactly your point is in pointing this out. Regarding your first post, are you trying to show by this that Russia is an absolute dump filled with &#39;retards&#39; and also an utterly worthless nation and one which no-one should want to have anything to do with - in which case I would entirely disagree, saying that this is, in my opinion, far too extreme an attitude.

Or are you intending a discussion on what, if anything, can and should be done about the problems in Russia at the moment?
Old 29 May 2007, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to BobTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer

I can think of many reasons why people might reasonably wish to visit Russia. Contrary to the title of this topic - it is not a dump. St Petersburg for instance is one of the most beautiful cities in the world with a vibrant culture and breathtaking architecture.
I wouldnt want to go there if I had dark skin. :-\

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vilest Worm
In Russia they have the government-sponsored "sex week" and it is the best holiday there is. I don&#39;t think it&#39;s even about growing the country, Russia just knows what&#39;s up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanderBleek
Bob, you&#39;re either a comic genius or just really, really...yeah.
BobTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 20:09   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Remember that we do have rules about heatedly going after countries. We do have a few Russian members here, after all. I certainly do agree that Russia is facing some pretty serious domestic problems at the moment. They are seeing what may be a prelude to a full right-wing mobilization, which means fascism and all of the problems it entails.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 20:34   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Remember, if you are a Russian, don&#39;t go to the Bahamas and tan right now

If what Khanaris states is true, and happens, I can actually see a full re-arming of Europe and their Western Allies to prevent a war, which, as things go, will escalate into a full scale war. It is the way of Humanity, those who do not know history, are doomed to repeat it.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 21:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer

I can think of many reasons why people might reasonably wish to visit Russia. Contrary to the title of this topic - it is not a dump. St Petersburg for instance is one of the most beautiful cities in the world with a vibrant culture and breathtaking architecture.
I wouldnt want to go there if I had dark skin. :-\
Or at all really, seeing as how the ultra-nationalists hate foreigners period, not just the ones with dark skin. If you aren&#39;t a born Russian you aren&#39;t welcome there.

Anyway...it&#39;s just sad, really. I honestly don&#39;t see why we can&#39;t all stop being idiots and just get along. Why hate someone for something as stupid as skin color or nationality? And more importantly...

Quote:
Several racist killings -- particularly the murders of two Tajik girls aged 5 and 9, both in St Petersburg -- have provoked widespread revulsion and triggered calls for the government to take action
When do two little girls not even 10 years old ever deserve to die?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote