Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Should New Orleans be Abandoned?
Closed Thread
Old 05 Feb 2006, 02:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Should New Orleans be Abandoned?

No joke, it's being considered.

Reading on BBC the other day about how two tornadoes hit the city Thursday and saw a link off of it. They were talking about leaving the city as unsustainable and letting the marshlands reclaim the site. They gave a number of reasons that this should be the first(of many) major city abandoned in modern times. Here's a few things as to why:

1.) The inspection of the levees shows that they may not be able to withstand a class one hurricane at the moment, never mind a class five.
2.) The marshland that helps to deal with some of the water form such storms is disappearing at an alarming rate in that area. In fact, a section the size of your average football stadium vanishes every twenty minutes. It's ironic but part of the reason for this is those levees. In controlling the Mississippi river the silt that normally washes down is not reaching the coast, so not rebuilding the area's marshland.
3.) The city is at a lower level than it was before. Since 1978 the city has sunk roughly 15 feet. this is because of the water pumped out to make the land dry enough for building is causing the sediment to settle farther.
4.) To build the needed defenses to protect the city from storms would take 20 years and need to stretch form Mississippi to Texas.

In the long run it sounds like in order to get the city livable again would take a larger effort than currently going on in Iraq. Personally I think it's going to be a sad thing to see so much history go, but there really is no way to keep the city viable even if it is a port. What do the rest of you think? Make the effort or let New Orleans slip into history?

EDITED: for spelling.
Old 05 Feb 2006, 02:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Should New Orleans be Abandoned?

It would be sad to say good-bye to such a great city (not to mention a great party), but yeah, trying to rebuild it right now would be insane.

Oh well....
Old 05 Feb 2006, 02:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

I would say maintain it as a cultural heritage place but let the population centre slip gracefully elsewhere....

its sad but there's no helping it

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 05 Feb 2006, 02:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Commander Cool

But you guys are missing one great point, it's a large port.

It takes in I don't know how many ships on average, and transports goods across the country. It makes no sense to totally abandon it, it would deeply drain the economy. It seems to big to just abandon, however much it costs.

I'm not too sure about all the specifics, but from the look of it, it even though it will take a while, it's too important to abandon.
Old 05 Feb 2006, 02:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Shipping can be redirected. Other smaller ports can be expanded. The cost in doing so might actually be cheaper than keeping New Orleans going specially if the dangers of storm damage increase. Is the port really that important you think Commander Cool?
Old 05 Feb 2006, 02:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A lot of good points have been made. Thank you Spiritbw for making a topic about this. I've been saying since the hurricane hit, but the city should be abandonded.

Quote:
But you guys are missing one great point, it's a large port.

It takes in I don't know how many ships on average, and transports goods across the country. It makes no sense to totally abandon it, it would deeply drain the economy. It seems to big to just abandon, however much it costs.

I'm not too sure about all the specifics, but from the look of it, it even though it will take a while, it's too important to abandon.
Your right, this is a very large point, its also teh source of the problem. Like Spirit said, the reason they have levies is because they want to keep the Mississipi going where it goes, and the levies are the sole cause of most of the problems there. Levies are designed to stop problems, but when problems overcome the levies things get worse really fast. Now the whole reason all this happened is because they want the Mississipi to go to NO, and the whole reason they want that is for shipping. The intelligent thing to do now, is leave the city and blow the levies. By doing so we can let the Mississipi take it's desired route and then any cities on the new route will receive a huge burst in commerce. For a lot less than rebuilding NO we can upgrade the cities on the Mississipi's new route to take up the slack.
Old 05 Feb 2006, 02:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Too many people have too much invested in that city for people to leave it just yet. When the next big hurricaine hits, they may start to leave... but at the moment, it just isn't painful enough for the majority of the people who live there to leave.
Old 05 Feb 2006, 02:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Too many people have too much invested in that city for people to leave it just yet. When the next big hurricaine hits, they may start to leave... but at the moment, it just isn't painful enough for the majority of the people who live there to leave.
Well, given the weather predictions that could be this year. the outlook for the comming hurricane season is downright nasty.
Old 05 Feb 2006, 14:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i dont know about chocolate new orleans
the only reason i say no is because my uncle lives there{he was on the news!!!!}
but i can see giving it up but they would have to find a way of giving homes to all these acces people oooorrrrr it could be more of a tourist attraction and im not talkin about marti grass.

Old 11 Feb 2006, 11:45   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

New Orleans is proof that stupidity never wins over nature; built it below the waterline, and it will flood.

Get out, rebuild in an intelligent place, and stop trying to tell a river what to do. There are plenty of other towns and cities that would prosper from the Mississippi changing course, so let it do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread