Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ollie's GD Blog
Old 25 Jun 2010, 17:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Ollie's GD Blog

Well as you know I am not the worlds best painter or the most reliable when I comes to blogs as the last two I have started have gone down hill very fast and forggotten about. So with this blog I am going to enter the UK Golden Demon this year and this blog will be going through all the choices I will be making in what I should paint. It will mainly have practice minitures and plans on what I might do. Also I will be asking you guys to help me improve my painting skills enough so that when I go into GD I have the best miniture I can paint with my skills, this means that I will be asking you guys for help and advice on what colours would compliment my miniture.

Ok on to my Blog!

I have been thinking about the catagories on what I should enter and I am either going to go for Warhammer Monster, Duel, Warhammer 40K Squad and Warhammer Single Miniture. All these choice I feel that I am going to be most at ease with and that I am going to enjoy the most.

Warhammer Monster- I was thinking one of my Ogres, a maneater or a tyrant I have!
Duel- Again with the ogre theme with an ogre wrestling down a giant or steam tank against a doomwheel!
Warhammer 40K Squad- This one I was going to go with some SW's or a small handfull of IG.
Warhammer Single Miniture- An Empire Warrior Priest or maybe a WoC as I want to try out some NMM's and Source Lighting.

Those have been all my thoughts and slowly but surely I will sift through them and choose a catagory and miniture I want to do.

If you want a sig like this give, Hadhfang a PM http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Ushar1/Orkwarrior-1.jpg[/img]
OrkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 19:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ollie's GD Blog

The two giants wrestling was what won the duel last year, so I would avoid doing something in that vein. It will instantly be something (however slight) against it in the judging.
If you get good concepts and character behind the models and the setting, then you don't have to be the best painter in the world to win something. Of course, you will need to paint to an extremely high standard across the board and be pretty clean, but put enough time into each model and it most certainly isn't beyond good painters who are willing to try harder.
Good luck to ya mate!
I entered salute this year with Gareth. Mine didn't go past the first round, but it was nice to see people look at it and admire my work! We only decided to enter on the day so just had our gaming models with us! Gareth got onto the finalists board which is no mean feat. Again, just his gaming space hulk genestealers.
I will watch your blog with interest.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 19:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A. Nubis
The two giants wrestling was what won the duel last year, so I would avoid doing something in that vein. It will instantly be something (however slight) against it in the judging.
If you get good concepts and character behind the models and the setting, then you don't have to be the best painter in the world to win something.
Well I had a thought in my brain of a Stank vs Doomwheel duel as I thought it might look quite good.

Ok now I have some old minitures that are WIP and they are 3 Wood Elf Waywatchers and I am going to pop them up here, you might recognise them from a while back as that is how long it has been since I even touched them up.... Any suggestions on how to improve the blending I am trying on the fabric would be fantastic as I think it will be great skill to have under my belt in prep for the real miniture.

If you want a sig like this give, Hadhfang a PM http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Ushar1/Orkwarrior-1.jpg[/img]
OrkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

There are two ways to blend really smoothly. The first is the standard method of layering, where you just use more layers that are really thin, only adding a little more of the paint in the next step you are heading towards. It takes a lot longer and requires patience, but it's worth it. The more layers you can do, the more smoothly you can blend it, hence the need to keep it really thin (but also because it gives translucency allowing the other layers to show slightly).
The other way is to wetblend. For this you still need to layer, but you are applying the paint fast so you are actively mixing it on the model itself (as you would on a palette).

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote