Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A Thousand Sons: Pre-heresy
Old 25 Apr 2010, 16:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A Thousand Sons: Pre-heresy

Last week I picked up the book 'A Thousand Sons' and pretty much fell in love with their legion. So I decided that would be my next project!

I bought a box of CSM Thousand Sons, and a SM 10 man tactical squad and began my journey. (so I have 19 guys right now :/)

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler] Started having a little fun..
[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler]the guy with no arms has some magnetized options: a flamer, rocket launcher, and a plasma pistol/knife combo. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]sorcerer and ...something [/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
the sword guy is still WIP and I don't know what I'll run him as yet.

I have 4 terminators, and 5 assault terminators on the way that I ordered from ebay, but I'll probably order 5 more (add 3 to the ranged terminators, 2 to the assault ones) to fill out the squad more.
What else should I add to this force? I know I will want a land raider, and a few more marines. I might just get a battle force, but I'm not sure is 1k sons used assault squads.
so any information of 1K sons, and other preheresy stuff would be appreciated as well as modeling ideas, and painting critique. sorry I don't have more pictures of the two guys I painted. My camera doesn't seem to like red to much, and I need to find a way to take pictures without making my guys look like glowing blobs. Although from far away in that shot they look rather nice. Maybe I'll just play around with lighting (rambling I know)

back to painting!
Chobskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2010, 17:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: A Thousand Sons: Pre-heresy

I'm sensing potential for unhealthy amounts of awesome.

Looking great so far!
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2010, 19:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

This does start to look really awesome. I like it quite a lot. The painted ones do look nice.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 18:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

so here is a shot of the first 5 guys painted
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'm still experimenting with the red. any tips for painting red would be good for this too.

Next I need to figure out what codex I want to run these guys on.
Choices include: Space Wolves (up to 4 HQ means I could run 4 rune priests to keep to 1KSons fluff)
Chaos Space Marines (obviously use 1KSons as troops and use their actual stats)
Space Marines (play like regular marines, but use librarians, and only pre heresy tech)

Any other books that would work? thoughts? suggestions? all is welcome here.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 18:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Don't use the CSM codex. Thousand Sons weren't dead warriors with invul saves and such at the time. Just Egyptian-esque and psyker-heavy Space Marines!

Space Wolves is a nice option mostly for the psyker heavy option but I don't see their other unit choices working very well.

Personally, I'd stick with codex Marines but Space Wolves are certainly a possibility.

[hr]

Models! I like them. The conversions are excellent and the paintjob is coming along nicely. How are you painting the red, however? Right now it's kind of spotty and not as clean as would be fitting for the Thousand Sons. A wash of some sort followed by highlighting would give more definition between the gold and red areas.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2010, 19:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
Don't use the CSM codex. Thousand Sons weren't dead warriors with invul saves and such at the time. Just Egyptian-esque and psyker-heavy Space Marines!

Space Wolves is a nice option mostly for the psyker heavy option but I don't see their other unit choices working very well.

Personally, I'd stick with codex Marines but Space Wolves are certainly a possibility.

[hr]

Models! I like them. The conversions are excellent and the paintjob is coming along nicely. How are you painting the red, however? Right now it's kind of spotty and not as clean as would be fitting for the Thousand Sons. A wash of some sort followed by highlighting would give more definition between the gold and red areas.
I wasn't aware of the starts for the sons in the CSM codex. but the invul save kinda makes sense with their kine shields.

as for the red, I used a base of that red foundation, followed by a watered down layer of blood red. then a layer of blood red toward the highlights, and then a highlight of blood red. the first few i used a wash of dev. mud, but i felt they looked a little messy. but thats what experimenting is for
My next test is to do all the red blood red (several layers) (after a base of red foundation), and then wash with dev mud, and then highlight with some more blood red.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth

[hr]

I wasn't aware of the starts for the sons in the CSM codex. but the invul save kinda makes sense with their kine shields.

as for the red, I used a base of that red foundation, followed by a watered down layer of blood red. then a layer of blood red toward the highlights, and then a highlight of blood red. the first few i used a wash of dev. mud, but i felt they looked a little messy. but thats what experimenting is for
My next test is to do all the red blood red (several layers) (after a base of red foundation), and then wash with dev mud, and then highlight with some more blood red.
Try mixing some blazing orange (GW paint) into your highlights to add a bit more definition.

Looking good.

- Will
Old 27 Apr 2010, 20:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The guy with a Kopesh is awesome! I can't wait to see him painted.

Its been said already, but blazing orange really does work wonders as a red highlight.

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2010, 20:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for the tip on the orange, I'll have to pick some up next time I'm at GW.

in the meantime I'll be converting these guys that just came in the mail:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

5 assault termies, and 4 ranged ones. time to have some fun >:]
Old 28 Apr 2010, 03:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

First off awsome! Secondly the spolier button on the last post is broke :-[
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote