Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cirque Macabre (WHFB)
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Cirque Macabre (WHFB)

This'll also be posted on the Border Princes - if you have an account there, comment it there please. I want to help get the activity there up! Many thanks to Boneguard for the army name, it fits better that what I was originally using.

[hr]

Anybody play Mordheim? If not, anybody remember these guys?

I'm doing an army of that. Well, several armies really. I know I have other things I need to be doing (the unassembled Reaver Titan under my bed being a hefty candidate), but this is what's bitten me at the moment and I'm really excited about it. I'll get to the Reaver, trust me

The Carnival of Chaos travels the Old World spreading the taint of Chaos under the guise of a small travelling circus. In the aftermath of the Storm of Chaos, however, the Carnival has vastly grown in size from a small troupe on one cart to a gargantuan behemoth freakshow circus numbering in the hundreds (just over four hundred and fifty, in fact) that is on a constant pilgrimage to convert the populations of the Empire and Bretonnia to the will of the Dark Gods through the subtle art of entertainment.

In total there will actually be four armies set out as follows - although there will probably some model overlap, so I'm not actually going to be able to field them all complete at the same time. They will be taken from various different army books in order to best represent different parts of the circus.

3,000pts - the Core of the Cirque Macabre
Skaven Clan Pestilens
Led by Ringmistress Harietta herself, a powerful dark sorceress (Grey Seer), from the top of her dread coach, her army consists of almost two hundred drafted from the circus as a whole, including her shock troops bodyguard (Stormvermin) and many of the fanatical followers of the circus (Plague Monks) and the workers who keep the show together (Clanrats). It is only when the entire core of the circus takes to war that the Ringmistress shall accompany them, however, lending her prodigious magical strength to their forces.

2,000pts - Clowns and Strongmen
Warriors of Chaos
This part of the circus takes to the concept of war most commonly, and is a large horde of heftily muscled men (Clowns and Strongmen are both Marauders) backed up with performing animals and hunting dogs (Warhounds). This army is led by Number Six, a skilled and reliable wizard of Nurgle (Festus the Leechlord), who is usually accompanied by a bodyguard of the very best strongmen the Cirque Macabre can offer (Chaos Warriors).

2,000pts - The Freaks
Skaven Hell Pit
The monstrosities of the circus, comprising both such bizarre freaks of nature as trolls and minotaurs as well as the obscene ogres from the East (All represented by the many types of Rat Ogre the Hell Pit can take). Their commander is Oliver Octavian, a heavily augmented Ogre (Ghoritch, Castellan of Clan Moulder) who in the heat of battle becomes totally, truly insane. As well as these vaguely humanoid freaks this contingent includes the giant rats that are fed off the chaotic energy of the circus, and smaller plague rats that follow any group of travellers knowing that there is always food - sometimes in the form of a deceased "fan."

2,000pts - The Heralds of the Cirque Macabre
Beasts of Chaos
These men and things move ahead of the main direction of the Cirque Macabre, both spreading the word of its coming and recruiting. "Officially" this army is led by Master Jester (Morghur, Master of Skulls - the Spawn he creates will be giant, evil clowns), but Oliver Octavian also often takes to the battlefield with them, as well as Numbers Seven and Two. The movement is the most varied, as they wish to bring all the delights of the circus with them to all they see, including the clowns and strongmen (here, clowns are Ungors and strongmen are Gors), some of the bigger freaks (Minotaurs), and even a chariot pulled by lions (Tuskgor chariot).

[hr]

Sources for modelling will be great, including things from the Empire line (state troops and militia), the Ogre line, the Skaven line, the Vampire Counts line (Zombies), the Beasts (Minotaurs) and the Warriors of Chaos line. Even the High Elves are not safe, as they shall of course contribute the aforementioned lion chariot! Pig Iron miniatures will be contacted for gas mask heads for the Stormvermin counts-as...

Oh, and I have actually started this - so hopefully it'll get at least half finished

[hr]

Introducing: the Dramatis Personae of the Cirque Macabre!

Ringmistress Harietta von Bellanhofen
A dark sorceress the likes the realm of man have never seen, probably the most powerful human female sorceress in the Old World.* It is her black will that now guides the Cirque Macabre, and she displays variation in her powers unusual in a Chaotic sorcerer, both being able to spread contagion as a Nurglitch wizard might yet also to hurl lightning bolts as a Tzeentchian warlock could. She doesn't believe she is necessarily evil, she just likes to see the children play, so happy, and then...

*The Fay Enchantress is the direct representative of a God, she does not count!

Master Jester
His name was lost long ago, but he is a total pariah. He has a grim influence that waves out around him almost palpably, such that even the followers of the circus dislike to be close to him. He is, however, a skilled orator and proficient in obtaining new punters to the shows. And in combat, his dark influence can be turned into a weapon such that the enemy suffer from it.

Oliver Octavian
An ogre who perceives the world differently to most sentient beings. The master of the freaks, he has been heavily augmented with the wonders of modern technology - his right arm is replaced by a gargantuan wyrdstone driven power claw, constructed after the Cirque Macabre's extensive stay nearby the damned city of Mordheim, and bolted to his spine are a collection of extra limbs that he can control with his thoughts. Off the battlefield he is calm and composed, almost a gentleman, whilst on it he is a being of rage and violence. His role within the circus itself is to keep the freaks in check and act as a third in command as it comes to the running and talking game, but the majority of the cast prefer him significantly over Master Jester.

The Numbers
These individuals represent various aspects of chaos - fear, narcissism, gluttony, perversion, envy, insanity, greed, wrath and arrogance. The nine are scattered throughout the circus, some in a position of command and some not. Despite their devotion to various Chaos Gods throughout their group, they will all wear black and hide behind unique masks concealing their true identities from the world.**

**No prizes for getting this reference.

Gidean
Gidean is the slave of the Ringmistress, and plays the musical accompaniment to the performances on the grand Hell Organ. When the circus is abroad, he rides on the back of her coach and plays a smaller (but no less enchanted) Organ there.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 11:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default Re: Cirque Macabre (WHFB)

This is a great idea big too. where do you intend to start?

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 14:08   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Circus... I still say that this is incredibly bizzare.... although if you can pull it off it will be incredibly impresive.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Silk, you of all people have no right to call anyone else's ideas incredibly bizarre =P

Okay, like I said this'll be several lists, however I don't expect to be able to put them all together and field a truly huge one as there'll be model overlap. Here's what there'll be in terms of model count, with their "base mini" after in brackets:

30 Strongmen (Chaos Marauders)
30 Clowns (Chaos Marauders)
35 Hounds (Chaos Warhounds, Dire Wolves)
5 Plague Horsemen (High Elf Silver Helms)
30 Plague Bodyguards (Chaos Warriors)
10 Plague Rat bases (Rat swarms)
18 Giant Rats (Giant Rats)
27 Big Freaks (Rat Ogres, Ogres, Minotaurs, Kroxigors, Tomb King Ushabti)
150 Crazed Fans/Workers (Empire Militia crossed with Zombies, Mordheim's Frenzied Mob)
30 Shock Bodyguards (Empire Halberdiers with Pig Iron Militia gas mask heads)
1 Giant (Giant)
A few (great number, I know) clown models on 40mm bases, scratchbuilt. These are just to count as spawn when they get created

And now the heroes (the above big units contain a smattering of Commands). Most of the characters come on 20mm bases with the option to switch out to a 25mm base, or a 40mm base with the option to switch out for a 60mm, depending on what they're Counting As:

Ringmistress Harietta von Bellanhofen & Gidean (Lucrezzia Belladonna on one of the horses of the Plague Cart, the Plague Cart with the Exorcist Organ on the back)
Ringmistress Harietta von Bellanhofen on foot (Mordheim Countess Mariana Cheveaux)
Gidean on foot (Not sure, but he'll be on a big base with a huge scratchbuilt Organ - he'll count as a Hellcannon, and probably only a Hellcannon)
Master Jester (Mordheim Witch Hunter Captain)
Oliver Octavian (Wait and see, the bits for him are on order so hopefully there'll be finished pictures within the week )
Number Zero (Empire State Troop with converted Sid Wilson mask [see spoiler for image])
Number One (Ogre Ninja Maneater with converted Joey Jordison mask [as above])
Number Two (Empire State Troop with converted Paul Gray mask [you know the drill by now])
Number Three (Empire State Troop with converted Chris Fehn mask, he will be a standard bearer)
Number Four (Empire State Troop with James Root mask)
Number Five (Empire State Troop with Craig Jones mask)
Number Six (Empire State Troop with Shawn Crahan mask, this one's got a drum and in some games will be a musician but in others a Nurgle wizard)
Number Seven (Chaos Warrior with Mick Thomson mask)
Number Eight (Valten (the original, on foot) with Corey Taylor mask)
A few various heroes who will be named when they're completed, from various different sources - most Nurgle wizards, a couple of other Chaos Sorcerors, a Skaven Warlock Engineer... just for variety and such. Most of these are unplanned, although there's one for the Nurgle Sorceror Lord character that I think you guys will like...

[spoiler=The Masks]
To any Slipknot fans out there, I'm aware I'm mixing albums for the purposes of this. Mainly because I think I can model Sid's (that's Zero for anyone who isn't a fan) mask way easier if I do his one from Subliminal rather than All Hope

Number Zero's mask:

Number One's mask:

Number Two's mask:

Number Three's mask:

Number Four's mask:

Number Five's mask:

Number Six's mask:

Number Seven's mask:

Number Eight's mask:

Most of these will be made out of green stuff and patience
[/spoiler]

Now, from this collection of models thanks to the marvel of being able to put hero characters on 20mm bases onto larger ones to make them legally count as other characters (the base is the only subject of legality, and in Fantasy it's a lot more important than 40k) I can make several army lists - more so than I had originally planned, so I need to do some more writing. What this means is I'm going to have to bring the whole lot with me to games, which means I'm going to need to bring one of the huge figure cases and thank the gods that you can fit two smaller models (20mm basers) into one of the slots ;D

Before any 2,000pt game I shall roll a die to decide which list I'll use. To field the Ringmistress in her full Plague Cart organ glory I'll need a 3,000pt list but ho hum. Here are the results:

1 - Ringmistress Harietta von Bellanhofen's Troupe (Skaven Clan Pestilens)
2 - Number Six's Clown Army (Warriors of Chaos)
3 - Oliver Octavian's Freaks (Skaven Hell Pit)
4 - Oliver Octavian's Big Freaks (Warriors of Chaos)
5 - Master Jester's Heralds of the Circus (Beasts of Chaos)
6 - Number One's Decadent Host (Daemons of Chaos)

I'm well aware that I can come up with more than this considering the models, but there aren't more sides on a dice!

Anyway, I'm well aware that I often start projects I never finish but I can assure you that the models to make at least one 2,000pt army will come from this ;D
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote