Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blocky Demons - Sculpting Diary
Old 08 Mar 2009, 05:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Blocky Demons - Sculpting Diary

Long time no tauonline! I started playing privateer press's Hordes game, which i can still say is faaaar more sophisticated than 40k, and probably better supported by the company. That said, Ive decided to enter back into 40k for the lulz of it all. While Hordes is a great game, 40k is a good 'beer and nachos' sorta game and has more modeling scope - which is the fundamental reason ive returned.

I noticed a thread in the 40k armylists section on wargamerau.com not long ago asking about 'daemonzilla' lists, which sorta hit me hard in the balls with the 'obviously cool' hammer. From a modelling perspective, the ability to basically make anything I want, only vaguely restricted by size is such a great open playing field. That, and with daemonzilla I can basically just sculpt 5 big cool monsters and not worry about ruining my eyesight further on tiny little models.

So Im just gonna try and scratch sculpt the majority of it. Im not gonna do straight 'different versions' of the GW daemons, but definately take the basic idea and try to make it my own, ie: my bloodthirster will still be a big mass-murderer, but not necessarily a minotaur with wings and an axe.

My girlfriend has expressed some interest in the project, so she'll probably help me with the slaanesh DP and possibly some 'fat hooker' daemonettes. If the models turn out divergent enough from the GW equivalent, while still being able to 'count as', we will seriously consider doing resin castings of the whole set.

The stuff im looking into making are:

bloodthirster
lord of change OR great unclean one

nurgle DP w/ wings
slaanesh DP w/ wings
nurgle DP on foot OR tzeentch DP w/ wings

plague bearers
bloodletters
daemonettes (or seekers, whatever is more practical)
whatever the tzeentch ones are - the ones with 'rokkits'

Aesthetically, ive only firmly decided on a few things: all will be fat bastards of varying degrees, all will have awkward non-organic looking organic parts, and all will have fusions of metallic bits used in an organic way. Hopefully. If I dont suck.

In terms of influences(stuff to steal! ) im going with: Blake etchings, Crumb comix, select few Dali and Gleeson paintings, mignola Hellboy, Tool videos and some picasso/braque klkn.

Some reeaaally cruddy sketches I was doing to figure out just what sorta thing Im gonna go with.

notice the dude here being propelled by a huge blast of diarrhoea? totally solved 'flying nurgle DP' problem

So yeah, I imagine this project will take a year or so to do, and itll be done gradually if at all while ive got time between uni stuff. Hopefully itll all come together by christmas and Ill have another friggen 40k army!

Old 08 Mar 2009, 06:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Horny Fatboys - Daemonzilla Log

Waargh, awesome to see you back!

I like the idea of the army and with your skills it should be a great one! I'm starting Daemons myself, but going for a LaTD counts as. I just started building it this week, actually.

I'm interested in what you will be doing with the Plaguebearers and Bloodletters. I always thought the Cryx line from PP was super cool, and would work well in 40k for Chaos. Since you've been into PP as of late, do you think any models will be inspired by that theme? With the fat and biomechanical theme you mentioned, it sure sounds like it. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2009, 06:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaver
Since you've been into PP as of late, do you think any models will be inspired by that theme? With the fat and biomechanical theme you mentioned, it sure sounds like it. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Yep, first thing I thought for the army was "lots of bloat thralls" ;D I wanna make it less 'practical mechanika' than that though. As in, most of the cryx stuff have gears/tubes which are there to fuel their guns or limbs, with my daemons I want it to be more arbitrary and apparently useless - as if constructed by something with indecipherable logic. Im leaning towards basing them around the idea that theyre the favoured creations of a daemonic forge entity...
Old 09 Mar 2009, 23:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Did some more drawings... various stuff. Have an idea for the bloodletters, plaguebearers and slaanesh dp/KOS. Anything stand out to anyone?

fiend? beast? sumsing?

Old 10 Mar 2009, 16:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Mantis idea for a keepre of secrets is great, and i really like the nurgle... thing on the last picture of your post aswell.

i have seen the Mechanithrall models myself and im sure that the bloodletter idea will work out really cool too.

Maybe you shuld limit these "Squares" unifying the model range to a spesific area of the models, like the spine, the head/neck or maybe their joints or feet.
having them randomly all over may not be the best idea, just my thoughts.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 22:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If your sculpting skills are half as good as your drawings, then I can't wait to see the finished models, great work, it's going to be really cool.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2009, 23:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murchankite
Maybe you shuld limit these "Squares" unifying the model range to a spesific area of the models, like the spine, the head/neck or maybe their joints or feet.
having them randomly all over may not be the best idea, just my thoughts.
They will be unified in their arbitrary-ness.

Started the plaguebearer prototype. Havent gotten the shape exactly right, but its given me an idea of how to do a bunch of them. Obviously havent done the arms or any GS detail - just pure selley's 'Knead-It' so far.

note that the model is slightly smaller and stockier than standard PB models.

Old 14 Mar 2009, 23:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Ha, is that Rigel?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2009, 06:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Ha, is that Rigel?
yep

added a few tidbits today..

scale ref.

also - some more bloodthirster and horror ideas. still cant think of how to represent flight on the bloodthirster without giving him wings or long jumpy legs..

Old 16 Mar 2009, 03:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I thought I was seeing some Iron Kingdoms infulence in the sketches, then I noticed the word "Mechanithralls".

If you're merging Cyrx with Nurgle, good sir, you have a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote