Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My army with help from you [image heavy]
Old 08 Jun 2010, 15:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default My army with help from you [image heavy]

Hey guys, remember me? A while ago I started a thread asking for help with a color scheme, and with generally anything a noob to Tau would want to know. Well I figured that you may want to see what I ended up doing. Also it is prudent to mention that the effect I was going for was an alpine winter, think of evergreens and/in now. Sorry in advance if the picture quality is not up to par.

First off my Ďcommanderí seeing as I have no other XV8s heíll do for now.

I didnít glue his weapons on so after I painted them I can simply swap them out by pressing them into place. Very convenient. Next my stealth suits, a personal favorite model.

As you can see not all of my drones are finished. Moving along I have my fire warriors. I started my color scheme on them so everything after comes from them.

These two I converted from the tank commanders that I had from the devilfish and sky ray. I think they look acceptably like fire warriors what about you?

Next some kroot. I wanted them to fit in without really being the same. I think I accomplished this fairly well. All of the metal on them is painted with gold so that it looks like bronze.

Next is my fish. Not as pleased with this one, but seeing as how it isnít hideous Iíll share it with you.

And last model is my sky ray. This is one of my favorites in the army. I am sad to hear all the negative reviews from players about it though.

And what better way to end with a group shot. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Do you hate it, love it, what? just tell me so that I can do better next time or keep doing whatís right. Also if you guys decide you like this and want to see more Iíll start a new thread with my Ďnids, but only if you guys want me to. Far too many pictures to take otherwise.

click on us to promote our stable growth. we wish to become powerful enough to conquer the galaxy one day!

I have one :cookie:
confused0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 15:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: My army with help from you [image heavy]

This color scheme looks okay(good for starting) but some better pictures would be nice.

photo help
The problem is the pictures are backlit so sometimes all I see is a siloute of the models and its hard to get a good view. Also if you are not using use macro mode. If you can this is more advanced close down the apature on your camera and use a long shutter speed to get good pictures of the model.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 17:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I understand what you're telling me, but my tiny camera cant handle it. I tried taking other pictures and they actually turned out worse than these. if only my SLR was digital then everything would be better...

click on us to promote our stable growth. we wish to become powerful enough to conquer the galaxy one day!

I have one :cookie:
confused0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

On the models looking back there is one thing I noticed the eyes look a little wierd in yellow.

Generally I would use a more contrasting color for the eye lenses like red or orange for mostly green paint schemes. The yellow also looks thick which makes it look bad to most. Watering down your paints a little.
Old 08 Jun 2010, 18:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

I like the colours. What have you used on the Non vehicles? They may benefit from a small amout of a darker green aswell, just to add to the camo effect.

On the vehicles, i can see what people are saying is wrong. The choice of colours is fine, the application of the Green and Tan is fine. But then you've just scrawled some rather ugly white lines all over them, and that just looks terrible.

It could easily be fixed, but the way it is now just doesnt work.

Infantry are good. a little tidying up would be good, and a darker green aswell. but thats just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 19:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I can just barely make out some white camo on the troopers, so I think the white lines on the vehicles was an attempt at extending the white and green camo options.

I like the white bloches on the vehicles better than the lines on the 2nd vehicle. If this camo pattern was a bit more "camo" and smoother it might look pretty good.
Leviathan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 12:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Now just wash the entire army in badab black. It will go from looking like standard wargame quality to getting ooohs and ahhs from your friends
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 13:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpaste the elder
Now just wash the entire army in badab black. It will go from looking like standard wargame quality to getting ooohs and ahhs from your friends
Washes are not the answer to everything.
If you wash it, make sure you go over it again with the mid tone before highlighting, otherwise it just looks poor, muddy and unfinished.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2010, 13:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpaste the elder
I do hope you were being tongue in cheek there :huh:
Im sorry but soaking minis in badab black is a real pet hate of mine, it doesn't make your minis look decent, and ill rap-battle anyone who thinks otherwise > :P

But seriously, there are better way of adding shades, if you become reliant on GW washes you are limiting yourself to just one method of shading which is only good up to a certain point, and only good with certain colours. (Try shading your white scars with this method?).

As Anubis says (I seem to agree with you quite a lot really : :P) - reestablish that midtone else you get pooling, tide lines and a general messy outcome - especially on larger flat surfaces like tau armour and tanks. It wont work in this case, apart from perhaps on those kroot.

Thantos (i am .. honest)
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote