Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Adikolor?
Old 02 May 2007, 06:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Terminus Prime Send a message via MSN to Terminus Prime Send a message via Yahoo to Terminus Prime
Default Adikolor?

Anybody know anything about Adikolor paints? Good/bad/meh? I just got a whole case of them with about 60 colors in it for free so I'm wondering how good/bad they are, particularly for painting Tyranids.
Old 02 May 2007, 07:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Adikolor?

from what i've heard, they're pretty damn good...on a par with GW paints, which, for those of you don't know, are also damn good as far as miniature paints go

as for "how they'd go on tyranids"...well...the same as on anything else??

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 14:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

My history tells me that they had many problems in the past, the paint was to thick on some colors, then two thin. This was some years ago. I never went with them. Give us some feedback on how they work for you.

LordBlacksteel
LordBlacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2007, 16:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Aunva Drklite

I know some paints which are brilliant and IMO they are definitely better than GW, Rackams range is awesome.

This is a good example of what they can do

My kit at the moment
Aunva Drklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 01:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

see...i dunno why people wanna shit all over GW paints. they're excellent. they really are, believe it or not

and i'm trying to see what exactly what couldn't have been done on that model with GW paints. really, the best way to do it is to pick the colours and paints you need out of all the ranges you have access to, rather than sticking to just one range because its "better"

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 05 May 2007, 15:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Aunva Drklite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
see...i dunno why people wanna Shtlk all over GW paints. they're excellent. they really are, believe it or not

and I'm trying to see what exactly what couldn't have been done on that model with GW paints. really, the best way to do it is to pick the colours and paints you need out of all the ranges you have access to, rather than sticking to just one range because its "better"
No obviously GW are good paints( they arn't Shtlk) and i do use them exactly how you said, choose paints from many ranges, its just IMO opinion Rackham are better. They are easier to use plus they are cheaper and you get more

Ive never seen that kind of blending done by GW paints, if you could find some i would be proved wrong

I do however bet you can agree that Rackham models are very good and having a good model helps dosn't it ???

My kit at the moment
Aunva Drklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 12:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

heh, i'd never disagree with rackham models being effing awesome

as for blending done with GW paints...well, unfortunately, the 'eavy metal team don't really provide us with many great examples, which is a pity, as they tend to be damn fine painters when they put their minds to it. the problem is, mostly they have to paint whole armies for new codex releases, and the like. however, their was an in-studio inquisitor painting competition done for the release of the witch-hunters codex, where they all painted the female inquisitor with the big hair. the winner of that was every bit as good as that there wolfen. i think the pic might be in the witch-hunter's codex, in the picture pages. that, however, is the only one i can really come up with easily. i've seen plenty paintjobs done better than that, with the painter using GW paints, but providing proof is harder. for instance, IIRC cyril (check CMON) uses lots of GW paints, and has a damn-near flawless paint-style. and i think boltman's chaos khorne stuff is done with GW paints (check the bolter and chainsword). but you really have to remember that GW paints also tend to be brighter and more vivid than a lot of other paint ranges

anyways, i personally use a mix of GW and vallejo model colour paints. GW for all my greys, as vallejo greys tend to just piss me off (too damn chalky. GW greys are silky smooth. and there is no difference in terms of coverage). i do, however, prefer vallejo's dark reds...just as a for-instance. and honestly, it doesn't change my final result. i do need to use them in slightly different ways, but the end result differs not a bit, apart from colour

although i do agree that GW paints tend to be a little too expensive (vallejo model colour comes in larger quantities for about 50 cents more)