Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Molten Swordwind
Old 26 Apr 2007, 16:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Molten Swordwind

Note, that these are works in progress.

You can see more images, and see the technique used at: http://eotaftermath.com/index.php?topic=648.0

I'm looking for suggestions for the underside of the Wave Serpent. Should it stay black? Or should I drybrush and highlight it white? Maybe another color?

Old 26 Apr 2007, 16:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Molten Swordwind

A tip on painting canopies: Paint the inside, then line the struts on the outside.

I see what ur doing, and the effect overall is good. Some slop in details though.

W
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2007, 16:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Don't worry. I plan on touching everything up. What would you suggest for details in that case?
Old 26 Apr 2007, 17:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akenseth
Don't worry. I plan on touching everything up. What would you suggest for details in that case?
well two things stand out to me. Please remember this is my opinion, not an insult.

first is the canopy. It completely takes away from the effort you have in the lines. I suggest you remove the paint and redo it completely.

Second is the high gloss. nothing molten is high gloss (reflective), but it is radiating. Without radiation (light) you need to tone down the black in order to allow the molten lines to override the black contrast more evenly. Perhaps a matte or satin finish overspray, then retouch the gems with a gloss.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your approach, scheme, or ideas. I've seen something similar, but large reflective black surfaces are hard to work with.

W
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 04:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The black seems flat you might wanna highlight with a 2:1 mix of chaos black shadow grey, make sure to make it thick enough for 2 more highlights, next we do a pure shadow grey, then we add 2:1 mix of shadow grey to skull white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor
I would like the bare legs a bit better if they weren't belonging to a old woman with Grey Hair.

Kinda wrong.
I agree with that, at least try to make her look hot and young!

Anyways, dont give toasty any ideas, he already loves his Sisters too much....
edraik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 02:10   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Good ideas. I was always planning on highlighting the tank.

I've decided to hold off on finishing the tank for the moment though, and bring the unit it carries up to the same level.

I still have the Spirit stones to finish, as well as to get the highlighting done on the armor plates and re-touch up the black parts.

For now. Enjoy the lethal tank killing squad that is Fire Dragons, and Wave Serpent with Brightlances.

Old 02 May 2007, 03:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I realy like the whole group of guys the black looks good. very good. I think the shinyness is how it would actualy look. Polished volcanic rock would look like that. and last The Eldar are not really the race that would go with dull colors.

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2007, 22:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would concur with Wanax, and his thoughts.

The canopy throws off the whole paint scheme.

This is a tough choice of colors to work with. The effect is nice, but Red and Orange are difficult to work with. I commend you on challenging yourself for these colors, and this idea.

I would also try to highlight the black a bit with a very light touches of Shadow Gray, this will help define the edges of the ship.

Things can get sloppy sometimes, but thats what it takes to learn this craft. Try to clean up your edges, or to help define the ships lines by placing a tick of shadow gray on the outside edges of the orange/red crevices. This will draw more attention, and could even out the skull white canopy.

Keep at it!

LordBlacksteel

LordBlacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2007, 01:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

If anything for a canopy, maybe paint a reticle on it?
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 17:13   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm back, with plenty of pics! That black paint is shiny, theres no gloss of any kind.

Banshees!

Banshees Transport, a WIP.

The next piece is kinda special. A Farseer that leads a Swordwind should be dramatic, aggressive, and all around dynamic.

I decided that even the new seer models didn't really cut it when it came down to it. So, I did what any modeler would do, made one. I started off with Teclis as the base model. Next, I cut off the top of his staff and his sword. Which is a shame, because its a cool looking sword. Anyway, once that was done, I cut off the tip of a Singing spear, and glued it onto the top of his staff.

I re-sculpted his chest, and made him a female, using green stuff. I did this because there simply aren't enough female Farseers. Next up, was resculpting the face. I matched the Farseer helmets, in this instance. I redid the waist, and legs, as Teclis' legs are too skinny for even an elf. Next, I added hair onto the back of the model, to re-enforce that this is a female. Finally, I added spirit stones onto the helm.

Some WIP shots of the Farseer damsel.