Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Paint Scheme "Danger"
Old 16 Apr 2007, 00:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Paint Scheme "Danger"

Yes, I know the "Danger" part brought most of you in. And yes, this topic pertains to both Paint Schemes and Danger.

I have a large collection of un-painted Tyranids, and I'm at odds as to how to paint them... I want to use colors that represent danger in the natural world, which means I'd like to incorporate yellow. However, I'm not sure how to use it so that it's more of a background color, and I don't know what other colors to use.

Everyone who owns the $50 rulebook has probably seen the black and yellow 'nids close to the back, and I want my nids to look like that without just being cheap knock-offs. If anyone has any ideas on a good scheme or better yet, can find some type of painter program so I can test the different schemes, I'd greatly appreciate it. Of course I'm still going to put my own flair on any idea and I'll probably end up using my own scheme but using your ideas as a basis, but I still don't know how to paint them.

Many thanks in advance!!!
Kaffl

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 03:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123
Default Re: Paint Scheme "Danger"

I dont really think it matters if you copy the scheme from the rulebook.

but for an original idea. ummmmmmm. maybe you could paint them so they represent a fire. like blend all the hot colours starting from white and slowly building it up to red.
firewarrior123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 13:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Just go for colours which stand out,like flourescent orange etc. or maybe you could go for a stealthy look, which in itself means danger.
"and then, during the end of the expedition it rained vomit"
keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 13:38   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Look at things like Bees, Wasps, Hornets, etc. Coral Snakes are another good example; dangerous animals where the "danger" is defencive usually make it obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2007, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Agreed, bright colors are nature's way of saying "Keep the heck away from me fool!"

I think if you copied the colors of a copper head snake, the tyranids might look really good.

Old 19 Apr 2007, 06:12   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Terminus Prime Send a message via MSN to Terminus Prime Send a message via Yahoo to Terminus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
Agreed, bright colors are nature's way of saying "Keep the heck away from me fool!"[/img]
True, but...this means that the tyranids would shy away from that kind of thing - they don't want their food staying away, they want their food to keep coming so they can eat them! You don't see jaguars and lions colored brightly, but everyone knows better than to mess with them regardless...but they are colored similar to their environments so they can get the drop on their prey, which is more the kind of thing the Tyranids would want to do.
Old 19 Apr 2007, 17:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Agreed, which is why I also included a picture of a copper head snake in the woods. Note how his colors are similar to his surroundings? >
Old 19 Apr 2007, 17:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
Agreed, bright colors are nature's way of saying "Keep the heck away from me fool!"

I think if you copied the colors of a copper head snake, the tyranids might look really good.
I also concur. Bright colours are natures way of warning. (I wish I knew that as a kid..."Oooh! Pretty colors! Cm'ere *hug* OW IT BIT ME!" For some reason I also tried to hug wild badgers...still have the scars... :)

I think red would do good on the nids. Perhaps red gore/blood red carapace and a graveyard earth/bone white body.
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2007, 14:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Couldnt agree more with the above post- Red gore as a base colour (with recesses left black) and then highlight (solidly) with Blood Red. I did up a test scheme on a marine with these very colours today and they look evil as!

"Robed" Dark Angels-2500pts
kapow ur dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 18:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

look at some butterflies, i think Attelanta's (don't know the english name) might make a nice pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jais
I need it! I need it! I need it! anton's vagina that is...
Quote:
"We're not just gonna shoot the bastards. We're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the threads of our tanks, we're going to murder those bastards by the bushes!!"
Savon Saal is offline   Reply With Quote