Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinning non-GW paints.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 18:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Thinning non-GW paints.

Okay, so as the topic title says, I don't have GW paints. I don't have easy access to GW paints. Don't tell me to get GW paints!

I'm using Testors brand enamel model paints. Why? Because they sell them at Hobby Lobby and that's the only story within 200 miles of me that sells model paints and supplies.

Problem is, as far as I can tell, I can't use water to thin the paints. They don't mix at all. I'm having to use Testors brand paint thinner to clean the brushes; problem is the thinner is pretty darn strong so I'm hesitant to mix it with paint for thinning purposes.

Unfortunately, until I can thin my paints, I can't do a decent paint job. My blacks and my greys especially are quite thick and come out a little splotchy. So does anyone know how I can effectively thin Testors enamels?
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 19:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol
Default Re: Thinning non-GW paints.

With enamel paints using thinner is how you would thin them ???
I think Hobby Lobby may sell other acrylic paints, like apple barrel, in the craft section they arn't GW or some of the other but thy work and a few other members here myself included use them
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not that I know of.

I would strongly suggest you do not use Testors paints for your models. You can easily order paints online. BWBits sell Vallejo paints and I believe you can get both GW and Vallejo paints through TheWarStore. Don't settle for horrible paints because its convenient. If you have any desire to paint your models to a good standard I would hold off on painting until you can get the right paints.You've already spent a ton of money on your models, don't ruin them now! ;D
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 20:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think they're horrible quality paints; they're just too thick at the moment. I like the colors and I'd rather not have to start mixing different brand paints to get the colors I've already started using.

And as you've said, I've already spent a lot of money on my models... I really don't want to spend more on overpriced paints, plus shipping and handling.

So thinner is the way to go? I guess I'll just have to experiment with it to get the right consistency.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 20:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would concur with Execution... However a bit stronger.. Do not, I say again, DO NOT use those paints on GW models. Yes they are safe for plastic, using RAW paint thinner will melt plastic models.

You can pick up craft art paints for $3.00 a color, Apple Barrel, Delta and American something or another.. are all water based Acrylics. They are by far cheaper, (.98 Cents) a bottle on average, pay special attention to any clearance sales that they are having. Coupons Rock at stores like this.

Water or Liquitex Acrylic thinner will be your new medium.

Testors, paint sets, are designed for testors plastic. It is a different type of plastic. Which is actualu more brittle than the GW plastic. The paints, are intended to be used on models that will use a Testors Primer. Hand painting testors model paints is not what you want to use.

I would chock the lesson up on:What NOT to buy. But then again, perhaps you could take it back, the chances are minimal though..

Always use water based paint, known as Acrylic.
Testors is Enamel biased, which needs solvents or oil based paint. These chemicals can be nasty to raw plastic, Grey, black or clear.

Hope that helps
LordBlacksteel
LordBlacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 20:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

CRAP!!!! thanks for that Blacksteel I totally forgot about thinner and plastics
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 20:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So I'm essentially screwed and have no choice but to order the GW or Apple Barrel paints?

Damn, I was afraid of that. Both the Hobby Lobby and the Michael's in town only stocks Testors paints; they don't have any acrylics at all.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 20:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellTheAshes
So I'm essentially screwed and have no choice but to order the GW or Apple Barrel paints?

Damn, I was afraid of that. Both the Hobby Lobby and the Michael's in town only stocks Testors paints; they don't have any acrylics at all.
SmellTheAshes> I find that to be 100% impossible, especially with regards to Michael's! You need to look at EVERY single aisle at these stores, these stores are arraigned by the craft, not the area.. Its designed by women, so that obviously messing with your head.

Goto the Oil paints section (where all the brushes are at) + or - 1 or two aisles you will find a HUGE rack of every frickin color you can think of, all of them are Acrylic squirt type bottles.

Usually they have sales avery 3 months, and it just so happens that Michales is having a huge 50% off sale this month on those paints.

Don't just goto the model section, walk every single aisle.. you will find it.. I will bet a whole dollar on it.. Ask for help, ask a store cute chicky to lead you to the Apple barrel craft paint.. They have it, because thats the "Bread & Butter" of a store like that..

Become VERY familiar with this store, because they have a whole lot of stuff that your going to want, you just don't know it yet..

LordBlacksteel
Old 11 Apr 2007, 20:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well then, that's what I get for assuming that the model paints would all be in the model section...

*headdesk*
Old 11 Apr 2007, 20:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, this is how Women think, it's backwards, and twisted.. but its the same way they look at you.. cause well your a gamer.. go figure..

Just learn to deal with the interface, and hey who knows you might find a woman who can paint too!

Anyways, your looking for this sort of stuff:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=cp0225
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=cp0066
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=cp0055

LordBlacksteel