Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you do it?
Old 11 Apr 2007, 00:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to The Lost Waywatcher
Default How do you do it?

So once again I am sitting on my laptop and need something to do besides staring at this idiot box. So I was thinking about painting and finishing my Combat Patrol of Eldar but I just can't seem to get the wil power to do it.

I'm asking you guys how do ou guys get up and do something even if you just want to lazy? I'm having a hard time getting things finished.
Simply put - paint your damn minis! ;D

The Lost Waywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: How do you do it?

Just do it. If you don't feel like it, don't want to, but feel you should get a model done, then just start painting. I find that once I start, it's hard to stop, so even if you don't want to paint at first, you will probably keep going when you start and enjoy it (At least, it works for me).

Sources of inspiration include coolminiornot.com or any other painted mini showcase, because I find well-painted minis inspire me to paint.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

AHA! There you are! Haven't seen much people from the eldar board much anymore :P

Well see when you're lazy you do little things at a time.

When I'm lazy

I get an piece and do it and be lazy.

Running helps! Do cross country, really it makes you feel better!

Do it at a time when you're in a good mood.

Paint cool things first.

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to The Lost Waywatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Send Sniper
AHA! There you are! Haven't seen much people from the eldar board much anymore :P

Well see when you're lazy you do little things at a time.

When I'm lazy

I get an piece and do it and be lazy.

Running helps! Do cross country, really it makes you feel better!

Do it at a time when you're in a good mood.

Paint cool things first.
Well I have been lurking a lot lately.

Well I do x-country already and hoping to make the soccer team tommorow so that's a check.

Anything else? What about for if your scared to mess up with paintinng?

The Lost Waywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Don't be. You won't.

If you're really really scared, do a different model. If you won't do any of your models for fear of screwing up, I have to say that's a really irrational fear, because the only way to get better is to practice, and if you don't paint for fear of screwing up, you don't practice, and the painting world as you know it will eat your brains.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Send Sniper
Paint cool things first.
On the contrary. I find that if you paint the cool stuff first you get one moment of happiness with the model and then get bored afterwards and refuse to paint anything else. However, if you paint the most boring things first, and tell yourself you'll paint the coolest things last, then you'll strive to get everything done.

I know it's hard to do, but you've just gotta sit down and paint. Sometimes it's boring, but it needs to be done to have a decent army. Listen to some music while you paint (if you've got a new CD recently you can listen to all the tracks while painting, you'll get a lot done in the time that it runs). Maybe reward yourself (like painting cool models later). It's up to you. But you've got to face the facts that it's going to have to happen sometime. Might as well be now.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 01:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Do 10 push ups. Really. Just close the computer and move your body for a little bit. it doesn't have to be that long, just get the blood flowing. Then go splash some cold water on your face, put on some good music, and sit with your paints and the figure in front of you.

I find that helps me a lot. Especially the music part at the end. If after getting up and moving a bit I'm still feeling a little lazy, a good song will snap me right out of it.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 03:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

I agree with Toast Master save some of the best for last if you cut to all the good parts you have nothing to look forward to.

Don't be scare to screw up take a breath look at you mini, study it picture it in your head what it looks like painted take your time, its not a race.

Take a look at the forum showcase, or CMoN sometimes just looking at other peoples works can get you motivated.

A good CD like NightWing says is great I find music helps the imagination the right music for the right army can work wonders.

Also when in doubt a ruthless taskmaster with a bull whip works great to...or a Commisar with a loaded bolt pistol
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 04:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The best thing is just to get out all the stuff you use Paints, brushes, model, etc. and not be afraid of how well you paint your model. Remember the only way to get better is to try and learn from mistakes made. I used to not know how to water down paints, and that is a major thing to know, so some of my first models were thick and...unpleasant. But after reading up, looking at some awesome models, and painting, painting, and more painting, I have gotten better at what I do.

Besides if you mess up, you could always strip the paint off with Brake Fluid :
Firewarrior26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 12:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Like other have suggested, I mostly save my cool stuff for last. I do throw in a cool model now and then to break the monotony of painting troops, but my biggest stuff is last on my list. For me the reason isn't so much motivation as that by the time I get to those final models my painting skills will be that much better and I'll be able to do justice to them.

You just got to get in there and paint. I've learned a lot as I've been painting, be it on these boards, actual painting, whatever, but even now I'm not 100% pleased with my quality however the only thing to do is just keep trying and realize that those first models won't be the best thing you've done. You really have to accept what you can do in regards to painting initially so that you can get through a few models. I'm not saying don't strive to be better by any means, just that you sometimes have to say, "Ok, this one is as good as it's going to be," and move on to the next and aim to improve on the next one.