Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Metallic paints
Old 22 Mar 2007, 00:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Metallic paints

All of this talk about new paints, I was wondering if any one has found a good colored metallic paint?
The only good ones that I have seen has been the [glow=red,2,300][size=15pt]old [/size] [/glow] "Citadel Colour"ones.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 01:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Metallic paints

The Citadel ones work fine with me...what's your problem with them?
If you want different colors, mix em! I used to paint my tau army with metallic blue gems - mithril silver and regal blue mixed together
Old 22 Mar 2007, 18:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Dude throttle it back just a bit, I put the emphasis on old because I am talking about the equivalent, what it think would be, second edition paint.

I was wondering if any one made a good metallic (blue, purple, red, green, ect.) The last one I tried (poly-something) the metallic elements would separate at the drop of a hat, and was prone to chipping.

You might be very good at mixing paints, but I don’t think that I can get the richness of color that the old “Citadel Colour” paints. So I was inquiring about a store bought option.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”
Old 23 Mar 2007, 05:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

testors do some, but IIRC they're enamels...

you could, instead, try mithril silver with a good heavy ink over the top...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2007, 22:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks Fangs.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 13:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

inks do wonders, indeed
my high elves (lotr) are mithril silver and blue ink, creating a blue metallic armor
and my dark elf black guard of naggarond have a boltgun metal and red ink, which makes for a brown/red metallic armor
currently trying out some experiments such as chaos warriors in brazen brass and then blue ink, and dark elf executioners with shining gold and purple ink
the colors are (i think) great

hope to have helped in some way, wouldn't like to write anything 'redundant'

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2007, 03:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Testers havs many colored metallic paints. They used to be under a Boyd Coddington line of paints. now it looks like they are just a part of the standard paint lines. Vallejo Paints have a Metal flake media that you can add to any of there paints to make them matallic. I have done that to make things "stealthy".(i.e. XV-15 & Sniper drones)