Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Good Strategies to mix paint
Old 13 Mar 2007, 03:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Good Strategies to mix paint

Ok .. just wondering .. how do you guys do it? Do you get two brushes, a tray and start mixing or do you pour paint out or what ... ?

Old 13 Mar 2007, 08:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to GRISGIT-warboss
Default Re: Good Strategies to mix paint

Heya
It's simple, just get some paint out of the pot, put it on your tray. Wash the brush, and do the same with a new paint, mix them in and add some water. Voila, mixed paint
GRISGIT-warboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 11:00   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Heya
It's simple, just get some paint out of the pot, put it on your tray. Wash the brush, and do the same with a new paint, mix them in and add some water. Voila, mixed paint
Same here.

But if you want to darken some colours, you are better of using other colours to darken it instead of Black, and the same goes with white.

For example, a little drop of dark green can really darken red, and it is a more natural clour than the black+red stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 12:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

As a note, from an ex-professional paint mixer here are some basic rules for mixing paint:

1) black is not black...it is a super-concentrated blue. No pigment makes black perfectly. So remember that when mixing darker colors. It might tint them blue-ish.

2) mix with opposites. Red>Green, Blue>Orange, Yellow>Purple. This gives you good "neutral" or "earthy" colors. Likewise, if you have a color which is too X, add a drop or two of the opposite to undo that.

3) for mixing grays, these tend to end up blue (see above). Add a drop or two of orange to pull it back to a neutral gray.

4) for light colors, it is easier to add color to white rather than adding white to a color. As a general rule, a color plus 4x white (that is, 1 drop of color + 4 drops of white) will make the next higher step for that color (good for accenting & drybrushing).

Hope this helps a little.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

Emlyn, thank you for that info I found it very helpful
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 22:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption
Ok .. just wondering .. how do you guys do it? Do you get two brushes, a tray and start mixing or do you pour paint out or what ... ?
The most common way to mix paints is to get a painting palette and mix the paints you want on it. For instance if you wanted to mix up some Blood Red and some Skull White you'd put one colour on the palette, and then put the other colour into the mix. Usually the colour with the least amount of paint going into the mix will go last. Don't forget to wash your paint brush before handling each colour!

However, that's mostly for making small bits of mixed paints. If you want a lot of mixed paint you'll want to pour the paint in an empty painting pot (GW supplies these wherever you'll find a good selection of Citadel Paint), and mix it in the pot. This gives you a lot more paint, that will be stored for longer periods of time.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2007, 23:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Also, with Vallejo paints, they come in tubes that you squeeze, so you normally should squeeze a little of each paint onto your palette (and water) and then mix them together with a brush. If you're mixing a lot of paint, use an old (drybrushing) brush in case the paint get up onto the metal part (NOT GOOD!)

You can use a lot of things for palettes; you don't have to buy a fancy-shmancy one from a painting store. I use the clear, plastic boxes that metal minis (blisters and boxes) come in - you get it free with the minis!
Old 15 Mar 2007, 07:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
The most common way to mix paints is to get a painting palette and mix the paints you want on it. For instance if you wanted to mix up some Blood Red and some Skull White you'd put one colour on the palette, and then put the other colour into the mix. Usually the colour with the least amount of paint going into the mix will go last. Don't forget to wash your paint brush before handling each colour!
actually, my favourite place to mix paint is on the bottom of dead GW paint pots...as in, when i'm done with the paint, i unscrew the lid, turn the pot upside down and mix paint on that. it contains it beautifully, and as you go on, you ten to have an infinite supply of new places to mix paint.

also, if i'm only mixing a really small amount of paint, i like the tops of the new GW flip-tops. pretty much for the same reasons

oh, and when mixing paint, be a little wary. don't go mixing colours on top of an area where you've previously been mixing blue or purple. these 2 colours tend to bleed into the new colour

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote