Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

bubbles in paint job?
Old 05 Mar 2007, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739
Default bubbles in paint job?

Attention everyone I have found a new discovery! Awhile aho I had been having problems with painting my Tau army as the paint job contained many air-bubbles that dried into it.

Well I realized that shaking the paint bottle is the cause of this. unawaringly I had been shaking my paint bottle so it wouldnt dry up as fast and it created many bubbles in the paint.

So you might or you might not already know this but if you dont want to have airbubbles in your finished paint job then DONT EVER SHAKE YOUR PAINT BOTTLE!!!!!! Its a real pain to have to go sand down and re-paint the models that have airbubbles in them everywhere!

just a heads up for ya'll

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
AvalonSurfer739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 05:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: bubbles in paint job?

hum...that's a very odd problem, I don't think I've come across that, ever. Are you using GW paints? Maybe you just need to add some water to your paint pots, because it sounds like they may be on the thick side. Or maybe you just need new brushes? IMO, mixing up your paint is very important as it distributes the paint particles in the medium easily, otherwise, you'll be using up the paint medium, and leaving the paint pot oversaturated with paint particles (thus becoming thicker).

Edit: what color paints of yours have been having this bubble problem?
Old 05 Mar 2007, 05:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

ummm...can i reccomend you DON'T take avalon's advice?? always shake your paint pots before you open them to paint with, otherwise the binder won't be properly mixed with the pigment

it sounds like the problem is more with how you're applying the paint. as has been said, add some water, and don't apply it so thick...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 16:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
ummm...can i reccomend you DON'T take avalon's advice?? always shake your paint pots before you open them to paint with, otherwise the binder won't be properly mixed with the pigment

it sounds like the problem is more with how you're applying the paint. as has been said, add some water, and don't apply it so thick...
Also adding too much water to make it almost like a wash can put bubbles into the paint

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 19:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Maybe you're using bad paints for the job. Are they Games-Workshop paints? Another type I have found to work well is Vallejo.
Old 06 Mar 2007, 21:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yes they are games workshop paints and idk how else i could have gotten bubbles in my paint job. the only paint color ive had probles with this is skull white

I dont apply it thick but i had never added water to it. This problem has happened to me only with 2 paint bottles

ah man and i thoguht i had found a new theory. (shows what i know about how to mx paint) im only good at paintng the models not making the paint top quality.

Old 06 Mar 2007, 22:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd water down your paints some and see how that goes. If it still doesn't work, it may be the paint itself (maybe you'll need to buy a new Skull White)
Old 07 Mar 2007, 00:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I never come across this problem before. I have both Citadel paints and Vallejo paints. For the Citadel ones that come in a pot, I use a small screwdriver to stir the paint and the layer of what appears to be oil before using. For the Vallejo paints that come in a bottle, I tend to shake it furiously before squeezing out the paint to use.

With both paints, I usually take a little out on to a palette and start mixing with water to thin them down.

Never encountered a problem like yours though.
Old 07 Mar 2007, 01:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muffinator (1shot1kill)
I'd water down your paints some and see how that goes. If it still doesn't work, it may be the paint itself (maybe you'll need to buy a new Skull White)

yea i need a new skull white anyways cause its half full and i spilled alot of it everwhere by accidental elbow contact. But from now on i'll try to water them down. 8)

who would have thought paints could be so complicated