Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Airbrush
Old 01 Mar 2007, 21:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Melkor of Morgoth Send a message via MSN to Melkor of Morgoth Send a message via Yahoo to Melkor of Morgoth
Default Airbrush

I'm in the US, just so any purchase advice can be taken into account.

I'm looking to get a decent airbrush and compressor (for painting tanks mostly) for my birthday next month, but I don't want to break the bank on the thing.

Any advice from those who have airbrush experience? Any brand to look at/stay away from? Any particular PSI I should be looking at on the compressor? I have pretty much no idea what to look for.

Any help would appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01 Mar 2007, 22:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Airbrush

you can get mini ones that use cans of compressed air
kingofmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2007, 22:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Melkor of Morgoth Send a message via MSN to Melkor of Morgoth Send a message via Yahoo to Melkor of Morgoth

Yeah, I've seen those. But I've heard they don't do a very even coverage, plus you have to buy cans of air.

I buy enough aerosol cans for painting as it is, I don't want to have buy plain air as well.

The one thing I do know, is that I want one of the dual-action models, which I'm told, work better with a compressor than with the canned air.
Old 01 Mar 2007, 22:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to donutboi88 Send a message via Yahoo to donutboi88

Here is my Air Compressor and Airbrush.

My air compressor is a Campbell Hausfeld and it costs like $50. the only thing it needs is a control valve for the air pressure($10). the max psi i can get is 100 and walmart sells em
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...roduct_id=3992 This might help ya too, its a $40 dollar compressor

here is my air brush.. i got the set from testors which is like $25... there are other nice brands but this is the cheapest i can think of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmonkeys
you can get mini ones that use cans of compressed air
This airbrush is a good example
In the long run the air cans will cost more money and you don't get consistent air flow on some brands >.<

In conclusion i dont think $75 is not breaking the bank... hopefully o_O
*sweeeekksshhh*
donutboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2007, 23:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to MaddPhish

I'm a long time airbrush afficianado, and donutboi probably gave the best advice for starting out. While I use a different compressor, which was picked up from a mechanic that was going out of business for cheap, that Hausfield-Campbell is ideal. Like he said you'll need a regulator for it, but also a moisture trap. It's not so big an issue for acrylics, as it might just thin the paint a little more, but with enamels and oils it will seriously gum up the works. I'm not too keen on the Testors airbrush shown there since to me it was unnecessarily difficult to fully take apart and clean, which it will need. I reccomend the Paasche Single Action Hobby Kit 2000F set, seen here http://www.paascheairbrush.com/cgi-b...ion+Airbrushes

It's the fourth one from the bottom. This is the brush I began with, and it's easy to use, easy to clean, and will last a long time. It's a bit more expensive than the testors, at 56.00 USD, but it is a much higher quality product. Even though I've become accustom to using my double action brush, this little baby still sees plenty of use for basecoats and weathering, which don't need as fine a touch as detail work. Also, spare parts are readily available for it, which I haven't seen with the Testors brush, save for nozzles, and I cannot tell you how many needles I've bent, so it's good to know parts are there for them.

I hope you do get a chance to use one. I'm absolutely spoiled with mine.

Edit: Almost forgot. Avoid canned air like the plague. You can't spray long enough to get a coat on a nice size model before getting a severe reduction in pressure from the can going cold. I tried them and ended up with a patch of frost bite on my thigh for my troubles.

Another Edit: Oh I keep thinking of more and more things to add. The regulator is the key thing on the pressure front. 30 PSI is ideal for airbrushing, sometimes a little more depending on the thinness of your paint/ink, and how soft you want the effect, but as long as the compressor can continously spit out 30 PSI it's fine. The C-H compressor featured in this thread crams air into the tank at 100 PSI and should suffice. Mine will automatically kick back on and go back to max pressure once it hits about 80 PSI, but you might check the guage on the C-H compressor to see if you need to manually turn it back on every once in a while.
You might see special airbrush compressors, but don't bother with them. Their only real advantage is that their quiet, but since I live out in the backside of nowhere noise isn't an issue. Unless you get into some serious auto spraying, the C-H will serve all your needs quite handily.
WHOILE FOLLOW EYEZ DA STEDDY KEEL DA VESSUL GRIM AN' DARIN':
BUT O 'ERT, 'ERT, 'ERT!
O DA BLEEDIN' DROPS O RED!
WHERE ON DA DEKK ME KAP'N LIES,
FALL'N KOLD AN' DEDD.

OI KAP'N MOI KAP'N! ROIZE UP AN' 'EAR DA WAAAGH!
ROIZE UP FER YEZ - DA BANNER IZ FLUNG - FER YEZ DA SHOOTA DAKKAZ;
FER YEZ POINTY STIKKS AN' IRON GOBZ - FER YEZ DA GROT PITZ A-CROWDIN;
FER YEZ DEY KALL, DA MOBBIN' BOYZ, DER EAGER MUGZ TURNIN';
OI KAP'N!
MaddPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboi88
Here is my Air Compressor and Airbrush.

My air compressor is a Campbell Hausfeld and it costs like $50. the only thing it needs is a control valve for the air pressure($10). the max psi i can get is 100 and walmart sells em
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...roduct_id=3992 This might help ya too, its a $40 dollar compressor
What model is that particular compressor, donut? I looked at the one you referred to at Wal-Mart and I'm not too sure about it, but if the one you have works, I might see about picking up that model. I'd rather be garanteed of something working than having to deal with Wally World's customer service.
Old 02 Mar 2007, 10:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/A...ND_SPARES.html

2nd one down... COMPLETE AIR BRUSH AND COMPRESSOR EW220

UK supplier, complete air brush and compressor kit for 81 delivered to your door. Had mine a few months and its fantastic, check out some of the stuff i've been base coating...

Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2007, 11:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to donutboi88 Send a message via Yahoo to donutboi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor of Morgoth
What model is that particular compressor, donut? I looked at the one you referred to at Wal-Mart and I'm not too sure about it, but if the one you have works, I might see about picking up that model. I'd rather be garanteed of something working than having to deal with Wally World's customer service.
It's a campbell hausfeld fp2028 model. A good place to buy it is at Ace Hardware store
*sweeeekksshhh*
donutboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 18:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I am going to agree with MaddPhish by 100%!

Never EVER buy Testors Can-o-air paint systems.

For myself I use a Badger 150 Model dual action airbrush, I have been painting for just about 13 years with it. A good air brush will last you a lifetime, and when you get good with it, you will prefer to paint with it all the time.

Cleaning a pro-grade air brush is going to be a labor of love. You will hate it, but once you see what you can do with it, you will look forwards to keeping your airbrush in its best form ever.

I use a Badger Model 150 (Dual action) where you can push the button down, to control the amount of air to come out, then pull back to allow the paint to flow out.

http://www.badger-airbrush.com/airbrush.htm

You can paint (or prime) 3 vehicles with this level of control and about 3oz of paint! Make sure you yous acrylic thinner with GW paints. (If some dope says to use water ignore them, they have no clue how paint works.) This is what I use One bottle of this will last you 2 years Unless you paint EVERY SINGLE DAY of your life, a little goes along way!

http://www.ehobbies.com/flo546008.html

I also use a Badger compressor, and I think that cost me $90.00 the Model 150 was $82.00, and as Maddphish said, the KEY is the regulator. You will never need more than 30 PSI to shoot paint with.I use a WHIRLWIND II MODEL 80-2 Compressor. http://www.badger-airbrush.com/compressor.htm

You will also need a small spray booth, preferably with lights. I ended up making one for my home paint booth. Also for the love of god, and your lungs DON'T spray without a mask of some sort!

Don't plan on painting outside either you need it to be a nice room temperature for this method of painting.

Best of luck!
LordBlacksteel
LordBlacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2007, 03:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This goes out to you guys who have the exp. with the airburshes. What are the absolute step by step processes used to paint with GW (and Vallejo) paint? Like the proper mix of paint to water (or whatever you use). I have a brush and a central pneumatics compressor with 30psi (do i need more). Starting this Friday I will have no school or work for 6 days!!!! I would like to get some airbrushing done (i will post pics dont worry). Thanks!

Oh also mods we really should get an airbrush guide into a stickie, this does come up often!
TheDean is offline   Reply With Quote