Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Painting Desert Tanks
Old 24 Feb 2007, 20:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to cabomhn Send a message via Yahoo to cabomhn
Default Painting Desert Tanks

I was wondering if anyone had a good desert paint scheme that would work for my IG army. The idea I had was to prime black, paint on some graveyard earth leaving some black in the recesses. Then heavily drybrush with snakebite leather, and then a slightly lighter drybrush of desert yellow. Any thoughts are welcome.

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
cabomhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2007, 21:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: Painting Desert Tanks

Well, the way I've done mine is as follows:

Basecoat black (a bad move on my part, by the way. While would have been SO much easier.)
Coat whole tank in bleached bone (the black base made this one a PAIN. Took at LEAST 10 coats.)
Stipple Kommando Khaki in large blobs. (camo)
Stipple Graveyard Earth in lines. (~.4in. wide, max. 2in. long, make them curved so they don't just look like lines, but more camo. Somewhat like "tiger stripes")

An additional tip I would like to add in is to drybrush a TINY amount of tin bitz around weapon mounts (the parts painted in a metal color, nearest the non-metallic-painted parts) to simulate rust and wear&tear.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2007, 21:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also, for a third color, stipple some Scorched Brown as well.

I actually used "marbled" gloss white over black over coat, then "marbled" streaks of scorched brown and graveyard earth, onto a Sentinel. Looks awesome, works for desert and urban, and uses four colors!
"No, you can't put a Lascannon there; the Machine God will have a tantrum and turn the universe inside out."

balistafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2007, 22:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I thought you were doing a Death Korps of Krieg army? Changed your mind now?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 00:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

No, I'm still doing a death korps of krieg army. I just have loads of extra guardsmen laying around my house and I have decided I really needed to get them painted so I'm just trying to expirement with some different desert schemes.

98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Old 25 Feb 2007, 01:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabomhn
No, I'm still doing a death korps of krieg army. I just have loads of extra guardsmen laying around my house and I have decided I really needed to get them painted so I'm just trying to expirement with some different desert schemes.
Oh, ok. I wish I'd painted my Guard in desert colours (or any other colour than the one I've used), but I wanted them to match my flyers which were painted in a rather navy-like grey. I have dubbed them the Teutonian 31st 'Silverbacks' and they've taken ages to paint. The flyers look great in grey, but the tanks look rubbish.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 25 Feb 2007, 01:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yah, I know what you mean. I just decided that I've tried most of the other camo type paint schemes and I wanted to try something different and new. To just mix it up a little bit with IG and all the monotonous painting you have to do.

Old 25 Feb 2007, 08:32   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabomhn
Oh, ok. I wish I'd painted my Guard in desert colours (or any other colour than the one I've used), but I wanted them to match my flyers which were painted in a rather navy-like grey. I have dubbed them the Teutonian 31st 'Silverbacks' and they've taken ages to paint. The flyers look great in grey, but the tanks look rubbish.
ive got grey tanks and they look fine.

And im sure theres something onthe GW site about painting tank camo.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2007, 13:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
ive got grey tanks and they look fine.
May I see one of your tanks? I'm just curious as to what you did to make them look good.
Old 25 Feb 2007, 13:58   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Certainly:

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote