Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WIP XV8 Crisis Suit (Pic Heavy)
Old 04 Feb 2007, 22:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to KnIfE
Default WIP XV8 Crisis Suit (Pic Heavy)

I was asked to show my painting by Tyross, and as it's gonna be a while before I finish anything, I thought I'd post some WIP shots of my current model.

I'm painting 3 XV8's, but currently only working on 1 (the others are off the sprues and cleaned up, but not sprayed/painted at all)

I paint all my models in pieces and glue them together after (I find it helps getting to hard to reach if glued together places.

Currently, only the chassis has been completed, so I'll post up a few pics of that and keep posting once bits have been completed and added to the model.

My paintscheme is basically that of the box mixed in with whatever I feel should be there (like blue in the slots of my pulse rifles on my FW's): Sprayed black, scorched brown base, vermin brown over the top, vomit brown to finish with 1:2 vomit brown : Bleached bone primary highlights and bleached bone secondary highlights. All ridges in the armour are done with brown ink. My sect's sign painted in with skull white in the centre of the suit.

Anyways, the chassis:

Front right

Front left

Rear

And side

It is absolutely clean at the moment and once I learn how to weather/battle damage it up a bit I'll take more photos.

Oh, and the base is done aswell. I'm going to be having this team of suits flying forwards (they are tank hunters, therefore will be highly mobile) so I did a little bit of cutting away at the base to get the clear stem leaning forwards. I blu-tacked the legs in place while doing it to get the feel. It'll be more evident once I've done the legs (next on my to-do list)

Base is done by PVA-ing GW modelling sand onto the base, spraying black, damp-brushing scorched brown, vermin brown, desert sand and bleached bone on top, then PVA-ing static grass in places. The rim of the base is done in scorched brown

Base

Critiques if you will
KnIfE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2007, 23:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol
Default Re: WIP XV8 Crisis Suit

Well chief the pics are a bit on the large and in charge side
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2007, 23:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah, sorry, didnt realise until I posted them up. What does the "in charge" bit mean?
Old 05 Feb 2007, 01:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to donutboi88 Send a message via Yahoo to donutboi88

i think he meant the "Large and in Charge" expression. its huge and asks for authority (the pictures i mean)
GOOD JOB! its awesome
*sweeeekksshhh*
donutboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 07:09   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks. Although I just realised I've been highlighting, when I should have been shading. Only just read about what it is (I'm a bit of a noob painter tbh) :-X Which means I'm gonna have to go over it again. Can anyone give me some tips for mixing vomit brown for shading? I have vermin and scorched brown to mix with.

I've resized the pictures they're about half the size now so it should make for easier viewing
Old 05 Feb 2007, 09:22   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

You could add a tiny (I mean tiny) bit of chaos black to the base colour to shade with. It's worth playing around with .
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2007, 19:03   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Update:

Chassis, legs and Multi-tracker/Drone controller are finished, along with 1 arm (left). The other arm is about 60% done, and I have started work on the head and 2 antenae (which will be white as this is my Shas'vre). The Fusion Blasters, Pulse Cannon, Target lock and Shield Generators are yet to be started.

Here is the suit as it stands (including the not quite done right arm). Unfortunately, it's late and I don't have access to a proper camera so it's webcam photos for now. Real photos to come tomorrow.

Front:

Sides:

Rear:

Enjoy!
Old 06 Feb 2007, 17:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like it, but it seems to be that you went a little overboard on the highlighting in the last picture. It could be the poor pictures though. It However, it looks nice and clean, keep it up!
Old 06 Feb 2007, 22:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah, awful pics tbh. I did get a little carried away but I cleaned it up after, but the camera makes it look a lot worse.

I plan to battle damage it up once I've finished it.

I'm gonna get the camera ready now so I don't have it missing tonight.

The other arm is done, and the head/antennae have nearly been based, and I'm starting to work out the paint scheme for the fusion blasters
Old 06 Feb 2007, 22:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

Very nice excellent black lining and highlighting
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote