Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need a scheme
Old 29 Jan 2007, 23:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Need a scheme

Heya, I'm not usually one to ask for a scheme, but I just got the Battle for Maccrage set (just for fun, I'm not new to 40k as most of you know) and I have no clue what colors to paint the Space Marines. I want it to be challenging, because I'm sort of approaching the border between "okay/good" to "great" painting, and I really want something of a challenge that will help me climb those extra steps. The Tyranids, I have decided, are being painted with a carapace of Space Wolves Grey and the flesh is a Vallejo color that is sort of like a dark blue/green. So, I'm thinking of a snow/urban scheme (not surprising, since my Tau and Daemonhunters are the same...I just love snow and urban) but I want something creative and different. Ideas? Thoughts?

And before you post it, yes, I do know about the SM scheme tester on the Games-Workshop website (and Dawn of War) but I am just torn for ideas... Thanks in advance
Old 30 Jan 2007, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Need a scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Muffinator (1shot1kill)
Heya, I'm not usually one to ask for a scheme, but I just got the Battle for Maccrage set (just for fun, I'm not new to 40k as most of you know) and I have no clue what colors to paint the Space Marines. I want it to be challenging, because I'm sort of approaching the border between "okay/good" to "great" painting, and I really want something of a challenge that will help me climb those extra steps. The Tyranids, I have decided, are being painted with a carapace of Space Wolves Grey and the flesh is a Vallejo color that is sort of like a dark blue/green. So, I'm thinking of a snow/urban scheme (not surprising, since my Tau and Daemonhunters are the same...I just love snow and urban) but I want something creative and different. Ideas? Thoughts?

And before you post it, yes, I do know about the SM scheme tester on the Games-Workshop website (and Dawn of War) but I am just torn for ideas... Thanks in advance
Red and yellow are challenging colors that require some talent. Ditto white and good black. Maybe you could do some Imperial fists, or the like. I always liked the Imperial castellans.
Atlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2007, 08:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that white is the most difficult colour to paint, it easily looks plain... and since you love snow schemes, what's better than white for a snow camo? :P
Old 30 Jan 2007, 20:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, well...
About me wanting something challenging...
I tried white. I got it to get pretty smooth and clean (which surprised me) but it looked really, really flat. How does one go about highlighting/shading it?
Old 31 Jan 2007, 00:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You could try mixing white and black in a 3/1 ratio and highlight with that.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2007, 01:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Highlight with a darker color? Or do you mean the main coat as the 3:1 mix and highlights of pure white?
My main problem is the shading...I either make it too extreme or too subtle.
I'm probably going to end up doing a funky thing...perhaps a quad thing or something like Scizor's plague marines (but with different colors - probably either white and green or white and blue or something like that (maybe even white & grey)
Old 31 Jan 2007, 02:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well usually when you paint white you use an off white color, a white color, but one that doenst look pure white, then hightligt with the pure white.

An example of Off White
Looks like bleached bone was used here then skull white for highlight. Maybe mix some Bleached Bone with Skull White? Then highlight with Skull White

Pure white with greyish highlights
Probably a mix of Codex Grey and Chaos Black to make that shade of grey with Skull White over it.

White with a light blue undercoat
Lightning Blue I think was used for this one, I remember something similiar with an eldar model done. Oh its Enchanted Blue that was used...
The tutorial on painting white on an eldar model See how they saved some of the blue on the edges? That would be a good way to paint white.
Firewarrior26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2007, 10:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that the best think could be a mix of white and a little bit of black (or bleached bone, or light blue, it depends on the final effect you'd like to achieve), and then highlights with pure white ;D
Old 31 Jan 2007, 20:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Hmm...
Thanks for the comments, I'll see what I can do...
Old 01 Feb 2007, 15:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you want something more challenging than this, you could try to paint them using Sky-Earth NMM :P