Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How can I improve?
Old 23 Jan 2007, 14:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default How can I improve?

Obviously practice, but I want to be able to do highlights, details etc. I'm usually too scared to, or don't have enough paints.
GIBBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2007, 16:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: How can I improve?

You really just have to experiment. I'm a novice painter and I try and read up on techniques and styles that are posted here or elsewhere, but what it's really coming down to for me is just trying it out. It's just a matter of what works for you, not what works for someone else. I learned that tips and advice are just that, something to be taken into consideration but not an end-all-be-all method.

I'm an Ork player, so it's pretty easy for me to experiment since I have so many models to experiment on, might not be the case for you. What I do try and do though is pick one model and use that as my test model to try out new techniques. If I know I want to work on my rust effect then I'll try that on the model, or if I want to work on dry brushing then I use that same model for that too. I of course try and do the best I can but I've also resolved myself to the fact that it is a learning experience and even if it doesn't come out perfect it's ok, I learned and I still use him despite not having the greatest paint job.

So my advice, don't be afraid to try out new stuff, just go for it. If it comes out not as you'd hoped then repaint it if you like. As long as your paints are thin enough then you shouldn't have a problem going over and fixing up those areas that weren't right.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 17:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The first thing you need to do is pay a visit to your local GW, if at all possible.
Take down whatever models you have at your disposal, and spend a few hours there, getting as much learning done as possible. Even if you're not painting, ask others if you can watch them paint - you'll pick up little things they may do - small changes in technique you can mirror and adapt.

Another thing worth doing is picking up a box of Cadians or Catachans from eBay on the cheap.
Regardless of whether you play Guard, this will give you 20 models which you can use as practice for converting and painting. Twenty models - that's like two SM Tactical Squads to simply forget about if it goes wrong.

Lastly - read the guides around here. Simple things (brush/paint care, watering of paints etc) is essential, and the beginner techniques are easily found
Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2007, 10:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

honestly, i'd skip GW. instead, i'd be just fiddling around with basic washes and simple highlights (have a look at CMON. there are some great tutorials there) to find out what works for you and what doesn't

oh, and not enough paints...easy enough to solve. realistically, you usually only need white, black and 2 shades of whatever colour it is you're painting, and that should cover pretty much any highlight and shades you need

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2007, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks!
I use dark angels green, warlock purple, bestial brown, and chaos black for my Tau.
GIBBO is offline   Reply With Quote