Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Inks
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jan 2007, 16:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Inks

I'm relatively new to painting and I've read a lot of great tips and techniques but I'm still left wondering something that I know is a matter of personal preference, but any input would be appreciated. I've been using inks in my painting process and my question is, what do you use inks for typically? By that I mean, is there some items you never ink, recommend not inking, or do you suggest inking everything?

I'm trying to work out my process and get a solid technique for myself but I'm really just not sure the best use of inks. They seem a great thing to use on any item really but I'm sure there are things that are best not inked and so I'm just kind of looking for some personal preferences of those who are far better at painting then I am.

Hopefully this makes sense, just finding it hard to word my thoughts. Oh, and I'm painting an Ork army for the record with a lot of blacks, browns, and reds mostly.
Old 09 Jan 2007, 17:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Inks

i like using ink, especially on Tyranids detailing. it works wonders!.

on kroot skin it works good too!. and i like using it on my blue eldar armour. it gives a deep blue shade.
Old 09 Jan 2007, 19:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I use inks pretty rarely on my tau, but Chestnut Ink is one of my favorite paint/inks. It looks good on anything; paint it on armor and it looks rusted, paint it on wood and it looks polished...it's a great addition. I paint it on my red gems to make them shine also (instead of varnish - ink brings out color that I like)
But being a mostly tau player I haven't used 'em much, since they're mostly used for skin.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I picked up some Chestnut a few weeks ago and I agree it's a great ink to have on hand for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 03:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I use chestnut ink on Techpriests, the back of my Cadian Flag. I used Flesh Wash on faces. I use black ink on certain guns/powerfists. Black ink makes it look like theres grease on it. Black ink works wonders! I use red ink on certain things, like my techpriest's cloak Ill show you all pics of em.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 08:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can "ink" with any color you need. You just have to water it down enough. I prefer inks for flesh, metallics and occasionally cloth.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 12:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

i personally don't much like inks...at least, the GW supplied inks. i just tend to make my own washes, as that glossy look doesn't appeal to me.

however, as for the application of inks...pretty much wherever. but mostly on lighter colours. you use it to add depth, instead of having to work through a complicated series of highlights...instead, whack down the base colour, wash, quick once over with the base colour and then a few more highlights on top...

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 11 Jan 2007, 12:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

own washes are good. though ink gives a smoother shade(at least in my experience) and the gloss is easily fixed with matt varnish anyway
Old 11 Jan 2007, 13:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use inks for a lot of things, and with different things mixed with them, to change their coverage properties.

1) Shading. Inks are good at flowing naturally into cracks. Choose the right shade of ink, and you can shade pretty quickly, pretty easily. To do this, I typically mix my inks with a bit of PVA glue, which helps get the flow right for shading.

2) Creating a divide between two like-coloured surfaces. This is kind of like shading, but a bit more subtle. I'll mix some ink with a 4:1 mix of water:Future Floor polish. Typically, the place where I want this applied is in a spot where there's a subtle raise between two surfaces. The future mix really gets the ink to stay on these subtle lines.

3) Blending - A few coats of watered down ink can help smooth out the layers on a blended surface. For this, I'll typically mix a little bit of soft hand soap into the watered down ink. The soap will get rid of most of the surface tension in the water, allowing the resulting mix to coat a surface more evenly.

4) Intensifying - You have a coloured surface and you want the colour to be more intense? Paint undiluted ink (of the right colour) over it. I find this works best with reds, blues, yellows, and purples.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 14:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
I use inks for a lot of things, and with different things mixed with them, to change their coverage properties.

1) Shading. Inks are good at flowing naturally into cracks. Choose the right shade of ink, and you can shade pretty quickly, pretty easily. To do this, I typically mix my inks with a bit of PVA glue, which helps get the flow right for shading.

2) Creating a divide between two like-coloured surfaces. This is kind of like shading, but a bit more subtle. I'll mix some ink with a 4:1 mix of water:Future Floor polish. Typically, the place where I want this applied is in a spot where there's a subtle raise between two surfaces. The future mix really gets the ink to stay on these subtle lines.

3) Blending - A few coats of watered down ink can help smooth out the layers on a blended surface. For this, I'll typically mix a little bit of soft hand soap into the watered down ink. The soap will get rid of most of the surface tension in the water, allowing the resulting mix to coat a surface more evenly.

4) Intensifying - You have a coloured surface and you want the colour to be more intense? Paint undiluted ink (of the right colour) over it. I find this works best with reds, blues, yellows, and purples.
Very nice, thank you. Quick questions, what is PVA glue (white/elmers glue)? Also, just to be clear on "4:1 mix of water", that's 4 parts ink to 1 part water, or the other way around? Lastly, on " mix a little bit of soft hand soap into the watered down ink", does it need to be hand soap or would dish soap work also?