Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mechanicus: Looking for tutorial on painting the red!!!
Closed Thread
Old 28 Dec 2006, 22:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide
Default Mechanicus: Looking for tutorial on painting the red!!!

Just like the topic, I need help finding a tutorial for painting the red cloak for my perty-ful Enginseer. I want to make him perfect for teh showcase, but I can't find a how-to anywhere!!! HELP!!!

*please* ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Old 28 Dec 2006, 22:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Mechanicus: Looking for tutorial on painting the red!!!

Have you ever painted a vibrant red cloak only to realise that, once you varnish and photograph it, half your highlights have disappeared? Where did they go, you ask? I don't think anyone has answered that question. Some people believe they are eaten by the varnish monster, others believe they cross over to another dimension, some simply believe they never even existed in the first place and they actually painted the cloak blue. Those people are crazy. Let's not talk about them.

Ever heard someone say, "well, I can't highlight any higher or I'll be painting orange. What do I do? Oh what do I do?" ?
I have. Ok I haven't really, that last bit was a little dramatic, but you get my drift.

The answer is simple:
Don't highlight...

Shade.

Ok, ok, I can see you sitting there thinking "what the hell is this crazy ork on about?!", so I shall explain myself.
Instead of over-highlighting to the point where you start painting orange, just start with a darker shade.

If you are one of those painters who starts with a dark tone basecoat, instead of starting with a basecoat of Scab Red, start with a basecoat of Scab Red + Black and highlight from there.
If you are one of those painters who starts with a mid tone basecoat, then start with Scab Red, but shade all the way down to Scab Red + Black.

In the photos to the bottom, you can see that I have started with a very dark red basecoat of Scab Red + Black. I have then highlighted through Scab Red to Bloody Red, then as a final, and very small highlight I added a tiny bit of yellow to the Bloody Red. Though the final highlight is actually slightly orange, it's so small that you don't notice. It tends to just look like really bright hot red.

Anyway, I hope this short tutorial helps you in your Red-Painting endeavours.

My dark eldar done using this method. (although i did them over a year ago, so they look pretty dodgy )
Lord

Talos

Old 28 Dec 2006, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

Or you can just use the Blood Angels painting guide

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...d/paint_BA.htm

Oh and shading would be good if he wasn't painting a techmarines, which is on par with red gore/blood red not the same colors you achieved with your modles(which look great btw)
any ways, just hilight with blazing orange which isn't all that orange, it's closer to red.
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
Old 28 Dec 2006, 22:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

Thanks guys! now I have some stuff to look at and think about! I love the red you made WAAAAAAAA*cough*AAARGH! very...well...red! I am going to try that. but I know it wont come out as good because I am nowhere near as good as most of you here at TOe...

once again, Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
Closed Thread