Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stuff from PORTAL FRAKKING 2
Old 18 Jun 2010, 13:37   #11 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Re: Stuff from PORTAL FRAKKING 2

Hm. It seems all the patents are circa 1998. :shifty:

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2010, 14:01   #12 (permalink)
Shas'O

Looks good, I should have put Portal on my list of best Purchases but it slipped my mind.

However I am seeing quite a bit of the same here, and well apart from a few of the features there isn't a lot of innovation.

The 'gels' to be frank, while nicely done graphically are very erm...cliche. There are many games with jump/acceleration pads, and I don't think that that is adding innovation into the game at all. Rather it is just making the game like other platformers.

The vents as well, what's wrong with using a portal to upset stuff, you need a vent to suck everything down too?

However I don't want to condone them too strongly as to be frank if a destructive environment was added vents could enhance play alot. A way to travel around, without the portals and possibly used to 'blow' stuff about, for instance there is a boat, you need to make an 'ad hoc' sail, now you have a 'blower vent' play with the portals again and you get a self propelling vehicle or similar.

However if you think about it, the excursion funnel is just this with gravity turned off in it. Hence the programmers have skimped a bit.

I like the annoying 'guyeye' he's just a bit of lol to be honest and well he is probally going to end up going somewhere.

The ray things are cool though and setting up a 'hall of mirrors' might be a very fun aspect.

Innovative things that should/could have been in the game could have been a time device that speeds up or slows down time in a bubble. Therefore you could have really messed with the game world. Say those crusher pads are coming, pop a bubble and watch as the rest of the pad closes around you, but the side pads are stuck moving in slow mo giving you passage...

A 'multidimensional' that allows you to copy an area of the world into an area of the world. Say you need two cubes? Just open a section of the world twice and 'copy' it into your world.

Or say that the crusher pads are closing on you, just copy a niche from somewhere else in the room into the floor and hide in that. Tiny passage? Copy it twice into the wall.

Need an extending bridge? Open a portal, timebubble and then copy a section of girder into the portal through a time bubble, and then the other portal is opened on the side you want to get to. Jump onto the stretching bridge.

See the possibilities are endless...

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2010, 17:04   #13 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Finally had a chance to watch - and OH MY GOD WANT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 13:19   #14 (permalink)
Shas'La

that looks awesome! although I look forward to euthanising the... guyeye is it? I dont have sound right now, I just assume from reading genmotty's post

I always had an idea about what I would have done for the portal 2 story, basically involving the combine from half life attacking aperture science and GLaDOS getting the remaining test subjects (assuming there are some more that she hasn't killed) to move around defending the lab. Still no weapons, since you can make the combine fall to their deaths, or move turrets around, as well as random sub missions where you must activate defences and move things around, keeping the old portal puzzle solving gameplay alive.

I really hope this live up to expectations though, or I'm going to be really depressed.
mabbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 15:12   #15 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would hope that the storylines of Portal and HL2 are combined, but I don't think it should be in the Portal games, that is something for HL3 or the next episode of HL2.

The trouble is, that you give a player the Portal gun in any open landscape and very quickly you have the trouble that a smart player can avoid preaty much everything. I mean say in your combine attack senario, you just pop a load of portals under the attacking combine with the other on the ceiling and watch them drop to their death as they don't wear those walker boot things.

If I take HL2 for an example climbing the wall to Nova Prospekt, just pop a portal at the top, and walk in another you open at the bottom. All challenge is gone.

Therfore if the games get combined then you need to remove the portal gun, and replace it with some kind of portal device that you must go to location to open it, but possibly with the opertunity of many such portals perhaps. Like a 'portal stickbomb' perhaps that lasts for like 2 game mins or something, therefore creating a new dimention to timed puzzles of getting from A to B, or using the gravity gun to shove objects through a portal. It would beat the crap out of the resistances old teleporters and would be a better way to enhance gameplay, particularly if the superportal fails and things turn to a kind of 'all out war'.

Gen
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 15:49   #16 (permalink)
Shas'La

thats why my idea stays in aperture labs. puzzles still need to be solved to get around and if you want to make a combine attack hard to kill just stick un-portal-able floors in the direction they're coming from
mabbz is offline   Reply With Quote