Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Darksiders
Old 17 May 2010, 17:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Darksiders

Basically another question about a game I am considering.

Is Darksiders any good?

Old 17 May 2010, 19:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Darksiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire at Will
Basically another question about a game I am considering.

Is Darksiders any good?
Ok, these are just my thoughts regarding this game. I should note that I will speak of God of War, but in a good comparison manner. I donít see how one can discuss Darksiders without mentioning Zelda or God of War. Darksiders plays a lot like Zelda and GoW, but in a good way. In addition there is a lot of stuff added to the formula which helps set it apart.

As for the game, well I didn't care too much for it, but that was because I had just finished Danteís Inferno. I loved Danteís Inferno even for the clone it was, but I would say Darksiders is better because but it did try and add some other content. The horse was pretty cool and the game wasn't as linear as GoW or Danteís Inferno, so I can applaud it for that.

As I said before, I had already played God of War 1 & 2, Zelda, and Danteís Inferno by the time I played Darksiders, so I was a little sick of that type of game. Compare it to playing a ton of Grand Theft Auto games, Red Faction, Infamous, and then some other sandbox game. Sort of all the same kind of game, so the last one isnít going to be as fun. For what itís worth, I didnít played God of War 3 as much because I had played Danteís Inferno and Darksiders a few weeks beforeÖ

Even if it is a clone, it is still a fun game. Compare it playing a Halo 2, Killzone 2, or some other First Person shooter. Nobody gives those kinds of clones a problem, so I donít see what Darksiders should be faulted for it either.

Personally I think that if someone mimics another game and adds more depth to it, it should be considered a compliment. And really, who are we kidding? What games are original and not clones anyways? I bet I could name 20 Grand Theft Auto clones that were still good games.

SO: Don't let anyone tell you Darksiders isn't good because it is a clone of God of War. The game is good, I just wish I would not have tried to play it right after Dante's Inferno. For what its worth, you should be able to pick it up cheap too since it has been out for a few months.

Also while you are considering some good 360 games, you should check out Mass Effect 1 & 2. Lost Odyssey is a great RPG too, way better than FF 13.

EDITED: For increased positiveness.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 00:08   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Given I have just purchased the God of War collection, and given it does seem to want to be God of War, I can only provide the following advice:

Go buy God of War 1 and 2 for the PS2.

If you don't already have a PS2, you are some kind of freak. Go buy one. It'll cost a tenner.

PREPARE FOR GLORY!

If all else fails, wait until I've completed God of War 2, bought and completed God of War 3, then I'll look into Darksiders and tell you whether I was right in the first place, which I probably am. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 01:10   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I've played it.

And put simply:

I agree with Yahtzee
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 20:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks,

I think I'll save for reach or fable 3 instead then.

- Will
Old 09 Jun 2010, 05:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Dante18907

I enjoyed Darksiders, it's not revolutionary or anything but if your into some good old slashy fun with a sword thats too big to be swung by anyone, then you will have fun with Darksiders.
Old 09 Jun 2010, 18:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante18907
I enjoyed Darksiders, it's not revolutionary or anything but if your into some good old slashy fun with a sword thats too big to be swung by anyone, then you will have fun with Darksiders.
Agreed. This is, in my opinion, the best of the God of War-lookalikes that were released this year.

There's almost zero repetativeness - you are constantly changing to different environments which feature a host of gameplay challenges in them. The puzzles in it are pretty decent too (they do start to get quite confusing after you recive the gun that was completely ripped from Portal, though they're still good fun). The combat may have rather unbalanced moves in it (namely the sword dash attack), but that doesn't make it less fun, you'll just have to choose to use different moves whenever you like (which there are a fair few of), it may make the game take a bit longer as many of the moves are focused on beating the [word] into a single enemy, but the point of games isn't really to finish them quickly, rather than actually enjoying the gameplay, is it? The story's pretty decently put together too.

It mostly really depends on whether you like the theme & art style of the game though, & if that's what attracted you to it in the first place I reckon you'll definitely enjoy it.

Plus War is one of the most badass videogame characters this gen.