Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fallout vs. The Eldar Scrolls (split from: Fallout New Vegas)
Old 12 Mar 2010, 08:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Fallout vs. The Eldar Scrolls (split from: Fallout New Vegas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Mother y'xa'uuk y'xa'uk does this mean no Elder Scrolls 5?
If so then Fallout can kiss my post apocalyptic dyi
Yeah 'cause Bethesda is going to ignore their shiny new super money maker that's outsold the Elder Scrolls at every turn.

Of course, it may be a good idea for them to do 5... That way they can add guns and it's just like before in the history of this company... :

But that would sadly be like pandering to the wishes of all those Bethesda fanboys while still angering the older fans of Fallout, misguided lot as we are. ;D

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2010, 08:56   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Fallout New Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Yeah 'cause Bethesda is going to ignore their shiny new super money maker that's outsold the Elder Scrolls at every turn.

Of course, it may be a good idea for them to do 5... That way they can add guns and it's just like before in the history of this company... :

But that would sadly be like pandering to the wishes of all those Bethesda fanboys while still angering the older fans of Fallout, misguided lot as we are. ;D
So instead they should ignore the franchise that got them where they are today, and for whom without the Fallout franchise would have ended in obscurity? Bethesda owes Elder Scrolls, it's bad enough they put off TES V to venture into a new franchise, and then all those one off games like Wet, but another Fallout game before TES V is even announced is disgusting
Old 12 Mar 2010, 09:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipsisman
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
IIRC New Vegas has been revealed to be being developed for a while. I *vaguely* knew about it when I was playing Fallout 3 :P

* as in, title only...
Ditto, this just means that it's in the final phases. The game was pretty much in the works right about teh time the first DLC was released.

Much as I liked the last Elder Scrolls....yeah no, compared to Fallout 3 it was left behind in sales and what they could do with it.
Spiritbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2010, 09:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW

So instead they should ignore the franchise that got them where they are today, and for whom without the Fallout franchise would have ended in obscurity? Bethesda owes Elder Scrolls, it's bad enough they put off TES V to venture into a new franchise, and then all those one off games like Wet, but another Fallout game before TES V is even announced is disgusting
Fallout would not have been left in ignominy for lack of a new title. You show your level of fanboy ignorance for even presuming as much.

Far from obscurity, the Fallout series (one and two) are among the most well placed games of all time with wonderful sales records and fan numbers. Almost any company could have come in and cashed in on that treasure. Simple truth of the matter is that it wasn't the Fallout franchise that drove the other companies under, it was other mistakes/games.

Why then should it matter to we Fallout fans then, that Bethesda snubbed many of us with their remake and changes? Turn about, fair play, all that cliche jazz.
They are out to make money, pure and simple and your series got the short end this time for a better performing one.

Old 12 Mar 2010, 09:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
So instead they should ignore the franchise that got them where they are today, and for whom without the Fallout franchise would have ended in obscurity?
Don't be a fool. Knocking out another Fallout game, which wins fans for the company and makes them truckloads of money means that they can take a bit longer with TES V, and do it properly. A flagship game like that should, IMO, given what I've seen of the operation of the company, keep in line and emerge with a shiny new engine to go with it, to keep things interesting. When TES V emerges, I want it something very new. Something very different.

As for the new Fallout, like a lot of die-hard fans here, I'd like to see a little more of the old "feel". I don't want to see it done in the same style as the originals, that's just a bit silly IMO. I just want a bit more of that Fallout character, with junkies and prostitutes on every corner and desperation all over the place, coupled with wonderfully funny little snippets and strange occurrences.

As for VATS, I'm hoping it stays. For those who don't like it, big deal, don't use it. It'll be just like it doesn't exist. Why should those of us who do suffer for your preference when there's also no gain for you? I like VATS. Sometimes its just plain fun. I often like kicking it into VATS simply to watch the cool slo-mo scenes and the like. Sometimes its necessary, as has been pointed out. Not because of the difficulty (IMO the whole game was very easy, at least on normal difficulty. By about fifth level, you won't really be challenged by any encounter, and fifth level is fairly easy to hit, even if you will die a lot getting to it.) but because, as someone pointed out, on older PC's, it becomes more or less unplayable at certain points. I had the same problem when I first picked up the game, playing on my old PC. Get to an encounter with more than about 4 enemies with firearms and the game will start chugging like a first year uni student with his first 4 litre cask wine. However, kick it into VATS, line up a few shots to thin the enemies and all of a sudden everything is functioning fine again.

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
BloodiedFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2010, 13:57   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Indeed; nobody gives a crap about Elder Scrolls when there's Fallout to be had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2010, 15:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Indeed; nobody gives a klkn about Elder Scrolls when there's Fallout to be had!
I agree! The difference between ES and Fallout is about the same as Dragon's Age versus Mass Effect. Guns make everything 100% better.

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 00:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait a minute...

My F3 Vats must be broken... Mine works with Melee already. ???

Hardcore sounds awesome as hell. That's the kind of game I've been wanting (also why I thought the modded Fallout 2 game where you had an actual cooking/sustenance gimmick going was cool).

I had almost been ready to jump over to that new Metro game for the realism...

Old 13 Mar 2010, 00:23   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Indeed; nobody gives a crap about Elder Scrolls when there's Fallout to be had!
I do...

Why?

They're better games. I can actually play through them without scratching my eyeballs out in sheer dullness of having to walk across an entire wasteland, not having to drink in a freaking desert, shooting stuff with the gun permanently at my side.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2010, 00:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Seconded, although BloodiedFangs does have a point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Don't be a fool. Knocking out another Fallout game, which wins fans for the company and makes them truckloads of money means that they can take a bit longer with TES V, and do it properly. A flagship game like that should, IMO, given what I've seen of the operation of the company, keep in line and emerge with a shiny new engine to go with it, to keep things interesting. When TES V emerges, I want it something very new. Something very different.
This is turning far too fast into a 'science vs religion' debate. They're different franchises, they're different games, different settings, they're different, but that doesn't mean they have to be at odds with one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote