Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fallout 2
Old 14 Sep 2009, 17:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Fallout 2

I'm downloading it. Is this a good choice? Does it have decent character development? I've heard it does so I'm looking forward to it but I want someone who's actually played it to fill me in.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2009, 17:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Fallout 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus the Games Developer
I'm downloading it. Is this a good choice? Does it have decent character development? I've heard it does so I'm looking forward to it but I want someone who's actually played it to fill me in.
If you are a fan of post apocalyptic worlds and stories, it is excellent. The character system is Interplay's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck) system, as well as their percentile based skill system, and the perk/trait system. I think this works quite well, and is fun to explore. The "party" system is a bit off, but works well enough (you can only manage your character's development, and any NPC party members you acquire act largely as mules to transport your ill-gotten gains.

I'm generally a fan of turn-based RPG's, so I enjoy the turn based aspect to Fallout 2. If I remember correctly, I think there is a "real-time" based combat system, but it was a little buggy in Fallout 2 (Fallout Tactics did a bit better with it, but not much).

All in all, Fallout 2 is in my top 10 favorite RPG's of all time list, at #5.

If you are mostly just interested in the "game system", there was/is a tabletop version of it done by some fans. As far as I can tell, it is nearly an exact replica system-wise as the game. It's called "Fallout Pen and Paper", I think. PM me and I might be able to help you find it.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 18:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

When I said "character development" I meant in terms of role, not roll. Actions have consequences, that kind of thing. I'm a big fan of proper RPGs so the system etc is not an issue for me =)
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2009, 18:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, very much a matter of role. While your character doesn't actually do much talking, you can influence what happens in the world to a great degree depending on what you decide to do. Fallout 2 and 1 were really a big part of the basis for most good/evil balance systems in modern gaming. Depending on your actions you may not be able to get NPC party members that you otherwise could get. Even after you recruit them, if you commit too many crimes they refuse to work with you.

As for the system it's turn-based, but gives a good impression of real time. I guess the best thing thing to liken it too would be somewhat like Final Fantasy Tactics. You have a set number of action points, with moving, shooting, and reloading all taking up a set number of points. The world is fairly open ended, and there are multiple ways to finish any mission.

One thing I would suggest is playing Fallout 1 also if you can find it. There's a lot of jokes and carry-overs from the first game in the second. But be warned, Fallout 1 is much harder than Fallout 2. There are plenty of sites (No Mutants Allowed) that are dedicated to the Fallout series, so if you're ever interested in something check them out.

Oh, and one more thing: Get the Car. It helps a lot.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2009, 19:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Sure: The beginning is tough (which is good IMO) and it has a lot of re-play value as well.

In terms of character development, I think there's some pretty good stuff. There's a Karma system that tracks your actions, from saving some traders in the waste from raiders to killing the same traders and taking their stuff. For example, if you kill a lot of people and get bad karma ('specially children) you'll actually get bounty hunters coming after you. There's the possibility to become a NCR Ranger (fighting slavery), although that doesn't really go anywhere unfortunately. It's more of a side quest... Actually I think you can be a slaver for a while too.

The thing about it is: you can do all of it, IIRC, in the same file :funny:. At the beginning you can work for a slaver, but it doesn't really have much of an effect because the karma is always being updated. And you get a lot of + Karma for doing the main quest.

In terms of gameplay I like it because it's so weird. It's kind of turn based (in combat) but otherwise it's an isometric ~kind-of-adventure game. IIRC you have all of North California to explore and there are a bunch of things to search through (often fight through as well ).

And it's got a good amount of black humor (i.e. sinister, not race).

I'll let you play through it though. There's really too much to talk about in a post, and telling too much takes away the fun of figuring it out (the hard way :P, don't assault a pack of Mutants with only a Sniper Rifle and a pistol... baaad things happen, but it's always entertaining. And epic if you survive.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2009, 21:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
When I said "character development" I meant in terms of role, not roll. Actions have consequences, that kind of thing. I'm a big fan of proper RPGs so the system etc is not an issue for me =)
Ah, for some reason I read your current screen name and thought you were asking for nuts 'n' bolts type info.

As far as role, absolutely. It does have what is basically the same good/evil karma type system found in any modern game that uses such a system these days (Fable series, KOTOR, Mass Effect, etc.), but with some important differences in that some of the things you do cannot be undone and will effect you negatively or positively for the rest of the game, no matter how much good or bad stuff you do (unlike the other series I mentioned). The main story is pretty terrific, starting out small and ending big, and no matter how you finish it up, you get the feeling of an epic ending.

The game is also packed full of side quests, special encounters, and a dark humor. You can easily spend hours simply exploring the wasteland, and some of the larger towns will occupy several hours just poking around them. The game is also surprisingly good graphics-wise, for being an old, isometric game.

There is quite a bit of replay value, as depending on your traits, perks, attributes, and skills, you can resolve a number of situations in all sorts of ways. The social interaction in the game is a pretty vast field of options. It's no Planescape:Torment, but it's still excellent. I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

And while you are out wandering the wastes, if you happen upon the Cafe of Broken Dreams (a "special" random encounter), be sure to remove your armor and talk to Dogmeat (should be the only dog there).
Old 16 Sep 2009, 14:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to BobTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
Quote:
If you are a fan of post apocalyptic worlds and stories, it is excellent. The character system is Interplay's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck) system, as well as their percentile based skill system, and the perk/trait system. I think this works quite well, and is fun to explore. The "party" system is a bit off, but works well enough (you can only manage your character's development, and any NPC party members you acquire act largely as mules to transport your ill-gotten gains.

I'm generally a fan of turn-based RPG's, so I enjoy the turn based aspect to Fallout 2. If I remember correctly, I think there is a "real-time" based combat system, but it was a little buggy in Fallout 2 (Fallout Tactics did a bit better with it, but not much).

All in all, Fallout 2 is in my top 10 favorite RPG's of all time list, at #5.

If you are mostly just interested in the "game system", there was/is a tabletop version of it done by some fans. As far as I can tell, it is nearly an exact replica system-wise as the game. It's called "Fallout Pen and Paper", I think. PM me and I might be able to help you find it.
Tabletop rules came with my copy on the disc for the compilation pack. You should be able to find the file as a download somewhere. I might take a look at the file again it came with cut outs for a lot of NPCs and creatures, vehicles ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vilest Worm
In Russia they have the government-sponsored "sex week" and it is the best holiday there is. I don't think it's even about growing the country, Russia just knows what's up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanderBleek
Bob, you're either a comic genius or just really, really...yeah.
BobTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 15:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTD
Tabletop rules came with my copy on the disc for the compilation pack. You should be able to find the file as a download somewhere. I might take a look at the file again it came with cut outs for a lot of NPCs and creatures, vehicles ect.
Different game, I think. The rules you are talking about are more like a tabletop wargame, right? I seem to recall something like that having been released with one of the re-releases of the fallout series. (edit - Ah yes, it was called Fallout: Warfare)

The game system I was referring to is an actual RPG.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 17:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

i thought fallout 2 was just like baldurs gate. just different skins and stuff.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2009, 17:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezy Panda
i thought fallout 2 was just like baldurs gate. just different skins and stuff.
Not even close. Different game and mechanics entirely. Also, Fallout 2 is way, way better.

Ok, so that last bit is my opinion and not objective fact, but I'd be surprised if anyone played both games and though Baldur's Gate was better.