Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warhammer 40k MMORPG!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 Feb 2009, 11:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death
Default Warhammer 40k MMORPG!!!!!!!!!!!!

all i found about it was this-http://au.gamespot.com/news/6166560.html

Does anyone know anything about this, and if so please share, im a huge WoW fan and i will gladly leave it for 40k!
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 11:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Warhammer 40k MMORPG!!!!!!!!!!!!

The news of a 40kMMO has been circulating for a while, but I don't think anything has really been done but the announcement. It might be a while until we really learn anything about what it'll be like.
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
Sigged.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss,the abyss gazes also into you.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Grindgobble Witherfume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 11:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death

from what i have read it has been announced by THQ and its comming out 2013, its been said on alot of sites
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's been awhile since I heard any rumors but a 40k MMO would be interesting. There's been a number of discussions regarding it. Most agree that there would be no SMurfs and it would likely be IG/Eldar/Tau/Orks as factions. The likely NPCs would probably be SMurfs, Necrons, and Tyranids.

The 40k universe is pretty extensive so they'd probably chop it up a bit.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 15:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

The last I heard about it, they had done some concept art, but that was last year.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 16:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

This was annoucned arund the same time as DoW 2 was announced; last year-ish. I haven't heard anything new since.

I'm very excited about it, however. It could be killer, or it could suck virtual eggs. I pray it's the former. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 16:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Penny Arcade actually dealt with the "40K MMORPG" a LOOONG time ago:

I can only sign that.

The best approach would probably be to just have the setting of a giant Hive world, and everyone starts out as a "normal" citizen. Then you cand ecide whether you join the Arbites, the PDF, a Gang, or a cult. This way, you could get Chaos, Tau (as a revolutionary "cult"), Nids (as Genestealers), Imperial Guard, Arbites, Inquisition and so on into the picture.

What I also would like to see would be a kind of "upgrade system" - i.e. you don't choose a class - you choose a career, and a faction, and you gain abilities based on the careers you have taken. For example, you join the PDF - you get LasRifle skills, and some other combat-stuff, maybe first aid. You become a sergeant, and can command a command a couple of NPCs. Then, you change to Arbites, get Shotgun skills, and proper armor skills, but you can't command PDF-NPCs anymore. You somehow unlock the "inquisition" career, and start out as an Adept in the Big I... and so on.

That's what I would like. It would stop the mindless grinding of enemies, because skills would actually depend on stuff like "quests done" and "faction standing".

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 16:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
That's what I would like. It would stop the mindless grinding of enemies, because skills would actually depend on stuff like "quests done" and "faction standing".
Agreed!

LET THE TRAITOR'S BLOOD FLOW
bondzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 16:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I don't see them adding very many playable races. In fact, I would even go so far to say that you can only play as humanity, but you can join a Chaos Cult, or the Inquisition, or the Imperial Guard, or, hell, maybe even become a Space Marine?

They have confirmed that every race will be represented in the game, but that doesn't mean that they will all be playable. Many races will probally just be NPCs: Tyranids could simply be a Genestealer Cult in a Hive World, Orks may be some Feral Orks (or simply a very isolated klan) on a Deathworld, Necrons could have their own themed 'dungeon,' a Tomb Complex, etc. etc. As Bonesaw said, a Hive World is the best place to fit all of these races into one place.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 17:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
I don't see them adding very many playable races. In fact, I would even go so far to say that you can only play as humanity, but you can join a Chaos Cult, or the Inquisition, or the Imperial Guard, or, hell, maybe even become a Space Marine?
No Space Marines. They should be as legendary in a MMORPG as they are in 40K-fluff. Even SEEING one should actually be enough for the average gamer to talk about, and to shudder with fear - no matter if the Marine is actually on their side or not.
Modifications, bionics and so on should be possible, though, but - going with a Hive-world setting - Marines should only be used during special occasions, i.e. the visit of a Chapter Master to the Gouvernour of the planet (which could bring a whole lot of quests for the players - i.e. protect the gouvernour during negotiations, cause mayhem, plant bombs, depending on the player's side).

Nids could also be easily found in AdMech laboratories, and various quests could revolve around them - a Lictor on the run, a Lab losing containment, and so on.

Necrons: Under the Hive city there could be a Tomb, and various organisations try to contain/research the Necron threat.

Tau: Depending on style, there could either be a kind of embassy on the Imperial planet (of course, shut away from the average imperial citizen), involved in all kinds of diplomatic and shady dealings.

Eldar: Difficult, but not impossible... maybe there's a downed Eldar ship somewhere out in the wastelands?

Dark Eldar: Hive worlds make excellent hunting grounds, now, don't they?

Orks: Feral Orks, a stranded Waagh, etc.

I really start to like this idea, and focussing just on a single Hive world/hive city and humans would make for a detailed and intense gaming experience. Also, a hive has lots of difficult settings - be it the derelict underworld, the gang quarters, the industrial complex, the PDF-barracks, the upper-class locations, various gardens, and so on.
Add in a couple of special events - Marine Chapter Master visiting the city, Ork Waaagh hitting the planet (turning especially the lower sections into a hotbed of violence), a Gene Stealer rebellion, various other revolts and so on - and you have yourself a living and breathing environment - especially if you link those events with certain player actions: I.E. if players neglect the hunting of Feral Orks, they might develop a Waaagh. If the Genestealer cultists grow too strong, a rebellion starts, and so on.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote