Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Killzone 2 Demo review
Old 05 Feb 2009, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Killzone 2 Demo review

Lord have mercy...

I honestly don't know where to begin. Killzone 2 is going to be amazing!

First, let's go with cosmetics. Killzone 2 looks great. No, that's not fair. Killzone 2 looks brilliant! Whilst the Demo doesn't show too much, it seems we are free of the "Real is Brown" mentality. Unfortunately, we've got "Real is Black" instead. Everything in the demo looks a shade of Black. A very good shade of black, but black.

Now for the important bit; the controls. People claimed the controls were some insane combination where the X, Square, O and Triangle moved, and you had to rotate the left stick to fire or some other gibberish... it's not true. The default controls are pretty much what you'd expect from a PS3 game - it's very close to Resistance 2's layout, albeit with a few changes. Nothing too confusing, that's for sure.

Finally, gameplay. Oh lord... this is a FPS with a cover mechanic. I kid you not. I heard so many retards bitching that Resistance 2 had no cover mechanic, and now Killzone's sporting one. It is brilliant!

The enemy AI displayed some skills as well. They used cover, and they used it intelligently - if you flanked them, you could bring down the pain, but they would relocate fast. The enemy also avoided the "I'll stay here" tactic - rather than popping up in the same spot all the time, the enemy moved back and forth within their cover.

Overall, Killzone 2 is looking to live up to the hype - it looks good, it plays great, and it actually has something innovative in it; the cover system!

Killzone 2 is going to be the FPS to beat. We can but hope the full game is as good as the demo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 01:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Killzone 2 Demo review

downloading it now(although I did have to pre-order it), heard lot's of great things about it so I can't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have just played the demo and my eyes are wanting more.

The graphics were intense and the AI was amazing and challenging to play overall I want to get this game when it comes out.

If you want a sig like this give, Hadhfang a PM http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Ushar1/Orkwarrior-1.jpg[/img]
OrkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 18:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

While I agree with the brilliantness of the graphics & AI, I really wish a 1.2 GB download didn't last 10 minutes...
Old 06 Feb 2009, 20:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to BobTD

Im still not sold on it. This seems to be new game hype all over again "Startaling enemy AI, brilliant graphics!" a year after its release will we be bored with its graphics and wonding why we thought the AI was so good?

Fallout 3 has everything you just mentiond. The great looks, and even the enemy using cover and moving around behind it (though not the "cover system"... actually wait let me list the games off the top of my that had great looks for the time and a cover system:

killswitch
Rainbow six: Vegas
RSV:2
Gears of War
GOW:2
Splinter Cell (the whole freaking series)
Im sure there are plenty more...

Whoa.. come to think about it almost anything tom clancy...

Anything new to offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vilest Worm
In Russia they have the government-sponsored "sex week" and it is the best holiday there is. I don't think it's even about growing the country, Russia just knows what's up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanderBleek
Bob, you're either a comic genius or just really, really...yeah.
BobTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 00:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hmmm do I sense a jealous fanboy . anyways just played it and I can honestly say that I cannot wait for February 28. the graphics... the game looks real, the voice acting on rico is danm annoying though. the gameplay itself is fast, frentic, and realistic. theres no HUD and the ammo bar only fades in when firing or reloading or doing anything with your gun, the Ai is incredible, I though resistance 2's Ai was the best, then I saw KZ2's ai the soldiers act like a player would...
Also since you mentioned that since it did a cover mechanism it did nothing new, so since you kindly mentioned all those other games I guess gears of war didn't do anything new either? or gears 2? or rainbow six vegas? yet were they all sucessfull games? Yes... they where. also Killzone 2 is a game that must be experienced, words do not do it justice.
Quote:
Quote:
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 01:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To be honest....I agree with "The jealous Fanboy" (sarcasm ^^)

Theres not much new Wargamer mate....IMPROVED old stuff but nothing New per say.
The day I am blowing up Nazi Spaceships by using controllers linked to my brain and wondering why we ever needed Winston Churchill due to my supreme defence of the earth sector using thought controlled innovative combat maps Il agree that theres something NEW.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 02:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

just a note to everyone, think to yourself... what more new? can we get much better in FPS? I personally believe that all they can do is focus the graphics and fluidity of the gameplay. this is imo, going to be the last Great FPS of this generation, not to say that halo ODST won't be good, but it won't be Great. unless COD6 can pull something amazing out, the thing is KZ2 is like CoD4, it doesn't really bring anything new to the genre, but what it does do it pulls off extremely well. and be honest.. how many other FPS games have a cover system that stays in first person? rainbow 6 vegas didn't it went to third person when you went in cover.
Quote:
Quote:
It's true!
Old 07 Feb 2009, 13:28   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos master
just a note to everyone, think to yourself... what more new? can we get much better in FPS? I personally believe that all they can do is focus the graphics and fluidity of the gameplay. this is imo, going to be the last Great FPS of this generation, not to say that halo ODST won't be good, but it won't be Great. unless COD6 can pull something amazing out, the thing is KZ2 is like CoD4, it doesn't really bring anything new to the genre, but what it does do it pulls off extremely well. and be honest.. how many other FPS games have a cover system that stays in first person? rainbow 6 vegas didn't it went to third person when you went in cover.
Well, just think. Years ago, in the dark ages there was Wolfenstein. It was the pinnacle of shooters back then. Then came along Doom, smoothed out the gameplay with strafing, changing how walls were placed, added steps, managed to differ lighting and added some nifty guns (amongst others). Yet, threw in multiplayer via Lan. Big change. After plethora of other games followed suite, we arrived at Quake. Now, the game itself could be seen as little more than a new doom, but the engine that was made for it made a fully 3D world. No Sprites to be heard of at all. Now imagine you were a gamer at that time (I was, although I was too young to actually know much), all that you would have had for half a decade would be Doom clones - a bunch of sprites in a basic 3D world. If you were shooting your way through Duke 3D at the time you'd be asking "What more can be done?". Yet towards the end of the decade we were treated to Half-life, Counter strike, Unreal tournament, Duke Nukem Forever and a brand new genre called 3PS. Out of all of those (and Quake) we got online shooters, saw the first head shots, revolutionised the Console method of playing, and pretty much set the stage for any shooter today. Yet again, imagine you were (and like me, probably was) a gamer at that time - you would still be thinking what else can possibly be done on a shooter? But no, the next generation saw Halo and it's bouncing health system has been repeated so many times it's silly. The game itself dominated the Xbox release charts - if you didn't have a copy of combat evolved you were declared clinically insane by the masses. It's son, Halo 2, championed online play for consoles. The amount of XBL subrictions rising went hand in hand with the amount of H2 sales. Only Unreal Championship 2 could realistically compare. This generation of consoles may not be complete but we are already seeing a good few innovations: GoW may not have created the terrain hugging abilities that it is famous for, but it most certainly popularised them (the only other example I can think of off the top of my head is perfect dark zero. And, putting it bluntly, was pathetic) allowing the player to take cover on pretty much anything that was solid. Bioshock saw intergrating an RPG element into the genre, which was certainly nice (even if you did run out of ammo just at the wrong time) and Shadowrun incorporated Magic into a Counter-strike clone, Halo 3 has allowed us the record our fights and even design our own levels. CoD4 showed us perks, letting us create our own classes, what other game has done that online?

What am I getting at here? Well, it's simply that if you think that everything has been done before, and all that there is left is to improve it, then the chances are in the next 2 years you are going to be proven wrong.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 22:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Monsieur Monkey

Well it certainly looks fun, those who have played it seem to think it's amazing. Is the demo only available if you've pre-ordered, though? Cause I'm not about to make a trip to the local Gamestop just to play a demo...

Mentos=Win
Monsieur Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote