Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to get a 500GB PS3! [Read before buying one, seriously!]
Old 02 Feb 2009, 13:57   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default How to get a 500GB PS3! [Read before buying one, seriously!]

Am I pulling your leg? No! You really can have a 500GB for just an extra 85 and two minutes with a screwdriver!

IMPORTANT
Before you do this, it is a really good idea to consult the official Sony website. They have guides on how to upgrade your Hard Drive, but I found it so simple I didn't need them. Still, it is your machine you're messing with, and it may be better to be safe than sorry.

Step 1 - Your old Data:
Alas, if you already have a PS3, you are faced with two choices: Transfer your data, or lose it.

If you are happy to replay all your games and re-earn your achievements, go directly to Step 2. If you don't have a PS3 yet, you can skip this as well.

For those who own a PS3, you'll need an external Hard Drive. I happened to have a 300GB external hard-drive on hand, so getting my pithy 40GB PS3's data onto it was a cakewalk. Not everyone will have this on hand, so you may have to buy it.

Just as a final note - even if you don't keep your game data, you can keep your Trophies! Sync your Trophies prior to the swap-over. When you sign back in on the new HDD, open your Trophy page and they should all still be there.

IMPORTANT!
Your backup HD Must be FAT32 formatted. Again, handily, that's what mine is.

Once you have the backup drive, transfer your data. Once it's done (took half an hour for mine) proceed to step 2.

Step 2 - Buy your new Hard Drive:
For those who want the 500GB monster-machine, Here is a link to a 500GB hard drive. Costs just 85. Bargain, I'm sure you'll agree.

If you prefer to find your own, or you think that's just a bit too overkill, here's the essential specs you need:

SATA 2.5" Hard Disk Drive
* 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive
* SATA Interface
* 8MB Cache
* 5400 RPM

Step 3 - Installation:
First, unplug the PS3. Take out all the wires, and place it on a table where you can access the HDD. Find yourself a cross-head screwdriver, and you are ready to go! Oh, you'll also need your new Hard Disk, obviously.

First, locate the HDD cover. This is removed with the finger; it will offer no resistance.

Next, remove the screw holding the existing HDD in place (it was blue on mine). This isn't that tight, so again no problems are anticipated removing it.

Slide out your old HDD, and unscrew it from the holder. Note its orientation - this is how your new HDD needs to be inserted.

Place the new HDD in, and screw it into the holder. The screws don't need to be insanely tight - doing so might damage something.

Insert the new HDD, secure it with the securing screw, replace cover.

This should have taken you two minutes tops.

Step 4 - Format the new HDD:
Insanely easy this bit - plug the PS3 in, turn it on, and say Yes when prompted. It'll take... 90 seconds, if that.

Step 5 - Restore Data:
If you backed up your old drive, use the Restore function to transfer your data back to the new drive.

Step 6 - Gloat!
Congratulations! You have an insanely huge hard-drive! Go forth and find new and interesting ways to use up those 500GBs!

For those who are a little less insane, there are plenty of alternatives to the 500GB Monster Machine. Myself, I felt that quadrupling my Hard Drive was more than sufficient, especially as I could buy the required drive in a PC World just down the road.

I bought this, a humble little drive boosting my PS3 to 160GB.

Buying a PS3 for the first time? Here's why you should upgrade now!
Not only do you avoid having to back up your old data at a later date, but look at the prices!

An 80GB PS3 can be obtained for around 300 now. You can get an older one with a 40/60GB drive for around 250.

I spent 40 on my 160GB drive. Hmm... 80GB PS3 for 300, or a 160GB PS3 for 290... tough choice!

Hell, I've seen 250GB drives for 50 online; if you shop around, you can get a bloody awesome deal on the drive, then it's a case of buying the cheapest PS3 you can get your hands on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 14:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: How to get a 500GB PS3! [Read before buying one, seriously!]

Just to chip in -

You won't get the 60gb one that cheap. They don't make them anymore, and they're back compatible so they're in heavy demand. All that I've seen are more expensive than I paid for 80gb and six games! And new games, too.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 14:04   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Meh, who cares? Pay 300 for an 80GB, then an extra 85 for the 500GB HDD. Still a bargain! XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2009, 23:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yep, the best part is that it doesn't void the warranty ;D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2009, 00:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

+1 Karma =) This is a fairly simple process, but one that not many people know about, nor do they know that it is doesn't void the warranty either (I believe the PS3 manual even has instructions at the back on how to do this, but not as good as this guide), as opposed to the Xbox 360 which bans you from live if it detects a foreign hard drive...

Still, putting a 500GB drive in a PS3 almost makes it a complete HTPC replacement, it will do everything, for cheap too. And then you can chain external drives off it for even more storage space.
Old 03 Feb 2009, 22:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

just putting my 2 cents in, the old 40g model can be bought for around 200 bucks canadian online as everyone, for some reason, hates the 40g model even though it's the same as the current one but with less HDD space.
Quote:
Quote:
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
Old 04 Feb 2009, 10:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos master
just putting my 2 cents in, the old 40g model can be bought for around 200 bucks canadian online as everyone, for some reason, hates the 40g model even though it's the same as the current one but with less HDD space.
I'm not sure if it's the same versions here, but the 40g one has a Six-axis controller, the current one here is 80GB and has a Dual-shock controller. Why would anyone buy the older one when the newer one has a better controller and more space, and all the latest firmware updates... but here in Aus, the current model is only $10 more than the old 40GB one ($678 vs $688). So the natural choice is the new one, as the old one isn't available anymore anyway.
Old 04 Feb 2009, 23:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

hmm here you can find the 40gig ones for 299.99 at stores(if you can find them). so for 100 bucks cheaper it's worth it.
Quote:
Quote:
It's true!