Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

…spooky. [Deadspace]
Old 26 Jan 2009, 10:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default …spooky. [Deadspace]

Okay, so far this is actually proving to be a very interesting game, for a survival horror game. So, time for me to do a little reviewing.

The graphics seem to be about on par with recent games in terms of detail, got some nice touches here and there. The interface panels for working on things located around the ship are quite cool, little holographic screens that pop up when you get near. The design of the ship so far is actually pretty good. Like someone actually planned how a "Planetcracker" might look and work in some detail. The enemies/mutants/aliens/whatever the hell they are are done well too. The use of an indicator light on your suit's spine for health is just awesome, due to the third person perspective.

The audio is great, it helps to be able to hear enemies. There's also a fun trick with the sound when in vacuum, most things don't make noise, and enemies can survive outside (don't seem to need to breather too much). When an enemy lands on deck plating nearby you can hear a muffled clang. When you shoot you hear a deep booming noise. Then you realise the sound is not being transmitted through the lack of air, but through your suit/bootsoles/deckplates. Take a moment to revel in the awesomeness, but careful not to get yourself eaten in the process.

Gameplay… gameplay…

This is where Deadspace shines and becomes a different beast from other shooters and survival horror games. There are shooter elements, puzzle elements and RPG elements. Firstly, the shooter elements. These seem normal at first, but enemies can take a hell of a lot of torso/body damage before going done. Some won't go down at all with only torso/body damage. So we need to play smart, some of our weapons are designed specifically to slice things apart. Like the very first gun you get.

You can completely dismember enemies in this game. On normal, most human sized ones will die after losing 3/4 limbs, or a limb and a head. All guns have a decent chance to remove the body part they're pointed at, even if it takes a few shots. One notable exception to this is the Contact Beam, which prefers to just remove the whole damn body and leave the limbs there. It is my very favourite gun.

There are two special powers, Stasis (pretty much does what it says on the tin) and Kinesis (Force Pull/Throw). These are mostly used for solving puzzles, like malfunctioning doors that could slice you in two, or pulling heavy objects. Kinesis is also obviously good for throwing cans of an explosive nature at enemies.

Sometimes these powers are useful against enemies too, as there are a few "puzzle" enemies that need to be dealt with creatively along the way.

Another fun trick in this game is the zero-gravity sections. The objects and enemies (and you) behave like they should in zero gravity, bouncing off walls, bumping into things and so on. You have the advantage of gravity boots, which will cling to any surface.

The horror elements are quite clear the first time you get killed by enemies, or try anything that's probably stupid. There are many gruesome and gribbly deaths waiting for you. It pays to know which environmental hazards are lethal as well. Note to self: Fire Hot, keep spare medpaks. Asteroid storm… get new engineer…

Finally, we have the rpg elements, upgrading the RIG (the suit you wear), finding weapon/ammo schematics, buying items from the store terminals, using power nodes to upgrade equipment. The equipment upgrade scheme is actually pretty cool, all guns having multiple paths you can follow in order to get different effects, although with enough nodes you can get all of them. All weapons have interesting abilities too, though I've only tried three. All weapons however have laser sights, which are damn useful.

The Plasma Cutter is very effective at cutting off limbs, and is pretty much a standard semi-auto pistol weapon. Alt fire toggles the spread between vertical and horizontal, for "limb selection".
When fully upgraded this weapon becomes very powerful, a fast firing rapidly reloading future pistol of death & dismemberment.

The Pulse Rifle is a full auto-fire weapon which can eventually hold 200 rounds to a magazine. It's weak, but fires fast, and has a halfway decent knockback/stun effect on most enemies. Alt fire is a 360 degree bullet spray, hosing down the room. Fully upgraded this gun is still the weakest in the game (flamer doesn't count as a gun :P) but has a high magazine capacity and relatively fast reload.

The Contact Beam is essentially the future shotgun, and I want one. It's drawbacks include low magazine capacity, expensive ammunition and a short charge time. It's strengths include blasting off several limbs at once, the ability to hit multiple enemies and being capable of killing pretty much anything with a point blank blast. Alt fire is a ground based shockwave. When you face broodlings, you'll know why that's useful. Fully upgraded this gun is evil, pure and simple. It doesn't carry much ammo, but it's able to kill a brute with just two well placed shots.

The Flamethrower is pretty much your bog-standard flame throwing weapon. It's range is limited, but it has a nice firebomb/napalm grenade ability for its alt fire. It's useful to note that the flames continue to burn, and thus do damage, for quite some time after they hit something. The flamer cannot be used while in a vacuum or a hostile atmosphere environment (but gets a little better in zero-g). Fully upgraded this weapon has the highest ammo count, but is still weaker than the pulse rifle. It takes time to kill enemies, but you only need to hit them with the napalm bomb once or twice and let the burning flames do their work.

The Line Gun is like a the Plasma Cutters bigger, badder and way more badass cousin. It fires a wide beam of energy capable of not just dismembering multiple limbs, but of tearing an enemy in half. Alt fire is a time-fuse mine, which is actually pretty powerful, capable of doing a lot of damage and a bit of knockback. Fully upgraded this gun can rip the legs and torsos out from half a dozen enemies at a time. Assuming they're in a relatively straight line.

The Force Gun is a combination Shotgun/Grenade Launcher. The only problem is that it's pretty weak, it has a really powerful knockback effect, but doesn't do a whole lot of damage. The grenade is much the same, not a lot of damage, but it can throw stuff across a good sized room. Fully upgraded it's not really much better, just better knockback.

The Ripper is the final gun, and is like a buzzsaw on steroids. Primary fire launches a sawblade and tethers it about 1.5-2 metres from you, and is good for slicing off the limbs of anything rushing you, or ripping through anything that wants to get close. Secondary fire just launches the blade, which can be useful in its own right. Fully upgraded this weapon falls somewhere between the plasma cutter and the line gun in terms of effectiveness.

Ammunition for guns is scarce, forcing you to be careful, but never scarce enough that you run out. Well, hopefully never run out. Worst comes to worst you can use that fancy gun like a giant club then curb stomp them when they're down. Yes, you can actually perform both of these actions. Against single enemies it's useful to save on ammo. Bye bye leg. Run. curb Stomp. Repeat until wriggling stops/satisfied.

All in all this is a great game, well deserving of the Game Critics '08 award.

[size=2pt]…also, being Genre Savvy means its not actually that spooky… just annoying when half a dozen enemies suddenly launch themselves from the vents straight at you… honest.[/size]

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2009, 16:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: …spooky. [Deadspace]

I tried the Demo and it was good until I ran out of ammo . the demo doesn't really show off much of what you talked about except the shooter portion although the graphics are nice(but that's standard these days anyways).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2009, 22:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos master
I tried the Demo and it was good until I ran out of ammo . the demo doesn't really show off much of what you talked about except the shooter portion although the graphics are nice(but that's standard these days anyways).
This is actually rather unfortunate. The demo is set in a small portion of the third level, iirc, and is on Hard difficulty, with no option of selecting a difficulty setting. If you liked the demo, you should like the full game.

Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is actually rather unfortunate. The demo is set in a small portion of the third level, iirc, and is on Hard difficulty, with no option of selecting a difficulty setting. If you liked the demo, you should like the full game.
nah, I won't buy it, too many games coming out soon that I have to get(DoW2,Damnation,Killzone2). but a friend of mine has it so I might borrow it from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2009, 08:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This is a game that i really want to get. The be honest i've never really played a survival horror game, but it looks awesome.
I'm assuming your able to get it on PC. How much does it cost?

lemon-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2009, 08:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

started hitting 39.95 at walmart.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2009, 10:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I saw this available for download through my Steam account. It looks pretty cool, and this write up makes me want to buy it. Im almost done playing Fallout 3 through for the second time, so I think this will be my next game.

Any technical issues with the game? (IE crashing, freezing?)
Old 28 Jan 2009, 11:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
I saw this available for download through my Steam account. It looks pretty cool, and this write up makes me want to buy it. Im almost done playing Fallout 3 through for the second time, so I think this will be my next game.

Any technical issues with the game? (IE crashing, freezing?)
Absolutely none so far, and I'm already on the third playthrough, but I am playing it on 360, so your mileage may vary.

More weapons have been added to the first post.

–tvtropes.org