Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

If You Had to Name One...
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default If You Had to Name One...

...What would be your favorite video game genre? RTS, MMO, FPS, 3PS, RPG, Sim, etc. etc. etc.; which one would you pick as your favorite?

I thought it'd be fun to discuss this. Share your favorite, your reasons why you love it, and perhaps some exemplary games for that genre that you like?

[hr]

For me, it would have to be Real-Time Strategy. I started with RTS back when I was pretty young (which I guess wasn't that long ago...) on our computer that was chisled out of stone. My first taste was Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, which was basically Age of Empires with Stormtroopers. I loved that game like crack.

And it just grew from there. I've played tons of those old games, many of them Star Wars (hey, I was just a wee lad! ), until I hit one that was love at first sight, the original Medieval: Total War. The scale had me dumbfounded, even if the armies were just collections of 2D sprites. Since then I've enjoyed many RTS, from Supreme Commander to Command and Conquer 3 to Universe at War, and it is very definitively my favorite style of game.

Some of my favorites would have to be Medieval II: Total War, Company of Heroes, and Dawn of War. These games are, put simply, kick ass.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 15:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: If You Had to Name One...

I'm not sure I can, each one has its reasons why I love it to bits - FPS - just blowing steam and blowing the crap out of things (bad day at work? Go nuke the crap out of things on Mercs 2) RTS, the strategic state of play - slowly crippling your opponents income, then moving in and wiping their infrastructure, before releasing that devestating attack.

Much as I'd love to name a favourite, they all just appeal too much for me to have a fav, and I never really play one more than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 16:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

RTS. Hands down. Was playing my old games all X-mas. Finished C&C Tiberian Sun/Firestorm and half Red Alert :3

Really looking forward to DoW2...though I have to get a new PC for that to happen...
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 17:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

I'm into the whole "shooter" aspect (3[sup]rd[/sup] Person or 1[sup]st[/sup] Person, I don't mind). I'm also into most of the RTS genre, although I don't really like having to 'take a back seat' in the game (this is why I loved the Ghost Recon series so much, getting to blow stuff up AND nice juicy command of your team!).
Old 13 Jan 2009, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would my favorite genres are FPS followed by RTS, close second. The first game I strived to master was G-Nome for the PC and then Age of Empires II. Then Halo: CE. Pretty much because of those games, I'm now an avid gamer.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 20:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmm... I'd have to say FPS. Tactical though, because while I do enjoy blowing things to pieces, I like thinking that I defeated them with brains rather than brawn.

RTS... not a big fan. I never quite got the hang of the whole Rock Paper Scissors, build a base and command an entire frakkin' army thing. I do have to say though, that while FPS's are definitley my favorite Genre, my favorite game of all time is definitely Homeworld. The first one. Here's hoping the third is in production.

Sims... depends. I don't want something too arcadey, but then again, I don't want to read through a thousand page manual just to learn to play a game, and then crash in the first (misnomered) "training mission" Because the manual says nothing about fuel. *Cough* Falcon4.0 *Cough*
Old 13 Jan 2009, 20:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Glad to see you actually picked up Falcon 4.0 and played it though, Rorscharch!

It's a beast, isn't it?

---

I'd have to say I'm definitely a fan of the RTS more than anything, with FPSs coming in at a close, close second. Haven't played many Sims lately, so though they used to have the top spot, my computer and Saitek X52 HOTAS are aging (laptop's getting there and the X52's pots are worn out) and I haven't mustered up the courage or $1000+ dollars to replace both of them with the newer generation stuff.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 20:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
Glad to see you actually picked up Falcon 4.0 and played it though, Rorscharch!

It's a beast, isn't it?
Umm... actually, I kind of didn't really want to read through the thousand page manual. Haven't really played it at all. Then again, I do have an essay to write, and my helicoopter is sitting useless on my desk (and I still don't know what's wrong with it because the tech support is on pacific time), so I think I'll take a look at it. I won't lie, it's daunting. But, gotta pick my balls up sometime now, don't I?

Gonna install it right now. (new laptop)

And personally, I think it's a shame that RTS's are currently stuck in two dimensions. Homeworld was such a great game!

EDIT: Also, Doombringer. WHERE IS THE FUEL GAUGE! I see the flow indicator, but WHERE IS THE GAUGE!

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Why the hell did they make it so small and out-of-the-way?
Old 13 Jan 2009, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

[Giant Spaceship] RTS has to be my favourite, or the subgenre of RTT (Games such as Ground Control and EndWar).

FPS comes second, provided there are vehicles and ample amounts of explodey fun.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 23:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Monsieur Monkey

Hmmmm.... It's a hard one, I enjoy most types. I'd say platformers and their cousins are generally my favorite, as there's lots of diversity, and FPS/(Third)PS are a close second.

Mentos=Win
Monsieur Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote